High School Basketball Forum: Are Summer & Regular Season Basketball Results Comparable?

Posted by Dustin Ward on Mon, Jul 12, 2010, at 2:37 AM:

I'm curious what we can really take away from summer league tournaments . . . Are the results a good indication of what will happen in the regular season? I'd love to hear some thoughts regarding this topic.

I could already develop a list of rankings for next season based on what I witnessed at Rib City Shootout last weekend.

The records of teams like Holcomb, Clarkton, Dexter, Sikeston, Bernie, and NMCC at the event were impressive. Are these records a good indication of how these teams will perform in the regular season.

I'm not sure. Help me out!

Replies (9)

• Don't forget to point out your school had a better record in the event than one of the teams I mentioned. I'm sure there were a few teams with better records than the teams I listed.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Mon, Jul 12, 2010, at 2:47 AM
  • During the actual season, the competition is alot better during basketball season, when compared to the summer league games. Many teams during the summer are missing some of their key players to other commitments; like baseball, work, etc. During the season they will be there. So, i dont think we can take to much from the summer league games. But, having said that, having summer league games is very beneficial for some of the basketball players.

-- Posted by baseballfanatic1000 on Mon, Jul 12, 2010, at 3:17 PM
  • Also, Summer is a time when coaches can tinker with lineups and give some players minutes in situations they would normally not be in. Don't take too much stock in summer play.

-- Posted by semoballfan1 on Mon, Jul 12, 2010, at 11:27 PM
  • Just get ready for Sikeston next year. This will be the best TEAM we have had since Michael's Freshman year, I believe. Maybe not the best talent, but the best overall team. I can't wait to see this squad. I think C-town will also be pretty tough.

-- Posted by Bulldogs2010 on Thu, Jul 15, 2010, at 1:32 PM
  • At Branson today:

Bernie 43 Republic 37

Bernie 60 Neosho 40

Bernie 56 Summerville 36

one more game to go.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Thu, Jul 15, 2010, at 8:17 PM
  • What is the format for the tournament at Branson? Is there a bracket at the end of the tournament? Is the entire tournament pool play?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Jul 16, 2010, at 12:48 AM
  • Dustin:

they are telling me just pool play.

Bernie won there last game last night Bernie 61 McCauley Joplin 15.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Fri, Jul 16, 2010, at 11:12 AM
  • Latest Bernie games at Branson:

Bernie 38 Warrensburg 36

Bernie 51 Lincoln 15

Light House Christian aau 48 Bernie 30

Bernie 42 Savannah 39

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Sat, Jul 17, 2010, at 9:45 AM
  • I think summer league can give you a good idea of what a team may do in the season. The biggest difference between the two are game format and conditioning. In the summer, normally, a team will play two 15 minute halfs with a 5 minute halftime. The decision making of the coach and pace of the game is a lot different in the summer due to this format. Also, for a team that relys on running as well as other teams - Condition is huge. During the season, players and coaches are in much better game shape.

With that said - Summer can tell a coach a lot about his team. Summer can also give your team a boost of confidence.

As I mention on here before, I coach Puxico. I was very pleased with our performance in the Rib City Classic. I think that the shootout has boosted not only the players morale, but the parents. Summer league is a crucial component in determing the success of a team.

Dustin,

Did you see us play at the shootout? Did Puxico look different from last year?

-- Posted by TIDAL on Thu, Jul 22, 2010, at 9:25 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: