High School Basketball Forum: Area Leading scorers?

Posted by semocardsfan21 on Mon, Jan 17, 2022, at 7:13 PM:

Does anybody know who leads the area in scoring?

Replies (47)

• Delta girls! 😂😂😂

-- Posted by indian73 on Mon, Jan 17, 2022, at 7:25 PM
  • Wild guess girls Daigger of scott city, boys Jansen of Kelly?

-- Posted by Outfield on Mon, Jan 17, 2022, at 7:31 PM

That’s probably a pretty good guess. Don’t forget Below of Advance, I bet her average is up there too.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Mon, Jan 17, 2022, at 7:52 PM

According to MaxPreps Below is averaging 29 ppg for Advance.

No stats available on Jansen or Daigger.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Mon, Jan 17, 2022, at 7:56 PM
  • According to the article tonight Daigger is averaging 26.8ppg and looking at the schedules on MSHSAA that Advance and Scott City have played, Scott City has had the tougher schedule and has played 15 games vs Advances 10 games.

-- Posted by ballgoods on Mon, Jan 17, 2022, at 10:42 PM
  • I don’t know if you consider Ellington in our area? Kaylee King is averaging a bunch, a true guard. You might consider her a shooting guard. However, in my opinion she the best in Missouri in all 6 classes. I’ve never seen anything like her.

-- Posted by The deltan on Thu, Jan 20, 2022, at 2:35 PM
  • So, in girls:

- Below - 29 ppg

- Daigger - 27 ppg

- The Waller girl from Jackson has to be averaging 20-25

- I feel like 5 girls average 15-22 at Delta

- Haven't looked up the stats, but I'd assume Allen from Sikeston is up over 20 ppg

- Rachel Margrabe from Eagle Ridge is easily at or over 25ppg. She plays lower competition, but is basically her team's entire offense

Any other notables?

-- Posted by cd23 on Thu, Jan 20, 2022, at 4:14 PM

Is Kaylee King better than Leah Cauble that attended Oran High a few years back...🤔

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Fri, Jan 21, 2022, at 12:24 PM
  • Yes, this girl will more than likely play D 1 somewhere

-- Posted by The deltan on Fri, Jan 21, 2022, at 1:45 PM
  • Let me clear this up. She will more than likely get a chance to play D 1 if she chooses to. Who knows may be even major college? She has scored over 1500 points already and she just a JR.

-- Posted by The deltan on Fri, Jan 21, 2022, at 2:12 PM
  • Miss King from Ellington is the real deal. I had a coach tell me this year she is the best high school girls basketball he's ever seen and his team beat Ellington. I'm not sure how tall she is but if she has some size to her, she'll definitely go to a D1 school.

-- Posted by semocardsfan21 on Fri, Jan 21, 2022, at 6:19 PM

I tried to see if there was any recruiting info out there on her but couldn't find any. Of course I know that doesn't mean a thing, some kids just keep their next level options under the radar so they can focus on the present. Also, I know she's a Jr. so still plenty of time.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Fri, Jan 21, 2022, at 7:11 PM
  • The deltan have you seen all the top girl players in all classes from Mo play this season? Im sure there are some very talented girl players around the state. Sometimes fans just see their local talent and make assumptions off that. To say this kid from Ellington is THE best in the entire state is saying a lot. Just asking?

-- Posted by indian73 on Fri, Jan 21, 2022, at 8:07 PM
  • Indian73, I’ve seen a lot girls teams in the past. Like I said my opinion, she’s the best in all 6 classes, I’ve heard some coaches talk and a lot of spectators. I promise you, you have to see her play if there’s anyone any better, I’m from Missouri you have to show me.

-- Posted by The deltan on Fri, Jan 21, 2022, at 9:20 PM
  • Okay The deltan i hear you

-- Posted by indian73 on Sat, Jan 22, 2022, at 12:15 AM
  • I am sure the King girl is a great player. Cauble scored 3,788 career points which is the State record. She could have played mid major D-1 but chose D-2 power Union University to have a chance to win a National Championship. If the King girl achieves a D-1 scholarship for which I hope she does that would be a huge accomplishment. Not very many athletes in any sport makes it to the D-1 level. So saying she is D-1 talent is big hype. Time will tell.

-- Posted by moverandshaker on Sat, Jan 22, 2022, at 9:56 AM

I have no doubt she’s good, likely even elite. I have not seen her play so I can’t judge. But I have seen Bella Fontleroy of Kickapoo play a couple of games on livestream and she committed to Baylor after her Jr. season. You also have Saniah Tyler from Incarnate Word signed with UK.

She’s better than these two? I’m not asking to discredit you, I’m asking if she’s really that good?

Player rankings don’t mean a lot to me. I’m only using these two as examples because they are going to Power 5 schools and are elite level players at Class 5/6 schools that regularly complete for state titles & play the absolute best competition in the state.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Sat, Jan 22, 2022, at 12:46 PM
  • You can watch Ellington and South Iron today. I believe they are live streaming it.

-- Posted by The deltan on Sat, Jan 22, 2022, at 1:54 PM

Crap I missed it, I was on the road most of the day and wasn’t able to keep up. I might just checkout their livestreams throughout the season and see if I can catch one. Thanks For trying to let

Me know in time Deltan.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Sat, Jan 22, 2022, at 9:45 PM
  • You missed a good game. Ellington 52 South Iron 41 don’t know how much King scored,but it was enough.

-- Posted by The deltan on Sat, Jan 22, 2022, at 10:11 PM
  • The deltan have you seen all the top girl players in all classes from Mo play this season? Im sure there are some very talented girl players around the state. Sometimes fans just see their local talent and make assumptions off that. To say this kid from Ellington is THE best in the entire state is saying a lot. Just asking?

-- Posted by indian73 on Sun, Jan 23, 2022, at 12:19 AM
  • indian73, no I have not seen all the girls in all 6 classes. You are right I did make an assumption, my bad. However, I believe she could very well be close to the in her 22-23 graduates across the state. She has one state title already she could have 3 when she’s done?

-- Posted by The deltan on Sun, Jan 23, 2022, at 8:48 AM
  • i’ve seen both King and Cauble play. Both are fantastic. But King will have to do some big things to surpass Leah in my opinion. And naturally Cauble wins the debate as she was a 5’10 guard I believe. King is on the shorter side but still a phenom.

Cauble had more tools to progress herself to the highest of levels in college. King doesn’t have the 5’10 frame but has enormous amounts of skill. She should go down as a 3 time player of the year in Class 2. She could very well have 2 more state championships to back it. Something Cauble did not.

-- Posted by CaptainC on Wed, Jan 26, 2022, at 1:26 PM
  • Maybe I can catch a district/ state playoff game and check king out.

-- Posted by indian73 on Wed, Jan 26, 2022, at 1:44 PM

Cauble was great...the Scott County Central women back in the day were great w/great players...Delta was great back in the early to late 2000s...King may be excellent, but homegirl who played for North or South Pemiscot & then MIZZOUU & SEMO may have been the best ever so far in basketball out of our southeastern Missouri FAM...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Wed, Jan 26, 2022, at 7:45 PM

Again, I remember back in the day when the women from Perryville & P. Bluff were playing extraordinary basketball...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Wed, Jan 26, 2022, at 7:49 PM

Heck, the Doniphan women even had a great run back in the day...everyone has the right to their OPINION...but watch what you say (type)...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Wed, Jan 26, 2022, at 7:56 PM

I apologize, her name just hit me: Carrie Shephard (sp).

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Wed, Jan 26, 2022, at 8:02 PM
  • The King girl’s skill and quickness in my opinion is much better then Cauble especially with pressure on her.

-- Posted by jackieF80 on Thu, Jan 27, 2022, at 10:50 PM
  • Alandry Below had 44 points last night

-- Posted by The deltan on Fri, Jan 28, 2022, at 11:02 AM
  • Andrea Seimer of Jackson 92 and Carrie Shepard were Miss Basketball in Missouri despite the Class. Speaks for itself

-- Posted by That Dude on Sat, Jan 29, 2022, at 9:20 AM
  • Let’s get back the thread Area leading scorers. Everybody has their own opinion. The past doesn’t matter, what matters is now.

-- Posted by The deltan on Sat, Jan 29, 2022, at 10:40 AM
  • Luke Barnes avg 26ppg in conf and 24ppg outside of conf for Cooter

-- Posted by CoachMathis44 on Mon, Jan 31, 2022, at 5:16 PM
  • Brandy Jackson averaged over 40+ per game for Kennett back in the late 90s, and had 65 in one game!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Mon, Jan 31, 2022, at 6:25 PM

Ok so if we're talking bout All-Time PPG or greats, someone needs to start a new thread. But I'm with Deltan here on getting back to this year's leading scorers.

With that being said, I never really put much thought into PPG. It's not a good metric for comparing players, especially at the HS level. There's too much of a competition disparity. I think there are exceptions, for example, David Layton would have been good for 13-15 a night anywhere in the Boot. I say 15 b/c he wouldn't have had to score as much if he played at like... Cape, Jackson, Sikeston, Charleston, Oran, Delta (at the time) b/c he would have had more help.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Mon, Jan 31, 2022, at 6:50 PM
  • $ecret -blasphemy

-- Posted by MCL on Tue, Feb 1, 2022, at 9:13 AM

How much is that female player from Hayti averaging?

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Tue, Feb 1, 2022, at 10:56 AM
  • That’s a good question Straight?

-- Posted by The deltan on Tue, Feb 1, 2022, at 11:22 AM

Can’t find stats on MaxPreps, which usually my go-to. She just eclipsed 2k points for a cAreer though.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Tue, Feb 1, 2022, at 10:20 PM
  • You can put Miya down for at least 30 every game. she probably averages about 35 per game. She has over 2200 for her career. She has been fun to watch the last four year I know that for sure. We are gonna miss her and that group when they graduate this year.

-- Posted by H@YTI_63851 on Wed, Feb 2, 2022, at 7:33 AM

Hey H@yti, what are her plans after high school? Surely she's getting a lot of interest.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Wed, Feb 2, 2022, at 9:19 AM
  • I'm hearing SEMO. I'm not sure she has 100% decided yet.

-- Posted by H@YTI_63851 on Mon, Feb 7, 2022, at 7:18 AM
  • $ecretagentman, here’s your chance to see Kaylee King this coming Saturday at the Hall Of Fame Classic at Cape Central. Ellington takes on Lutheran St Charles. I wish it was Delta they were playing,win or lose we need a couple stiff challenges before districts.

-- Posted by The deltan on Mon, Feb 7, 2022, at 7:54 AM
  • Sikeston plays Ellington tonight

-- Posted by jkeller3 on Mon, Feb 7, 2022, at 4:48 PM
  • jKeller3, looks like it must have been one heck of a game. Did King take over the game for Ellington?

-- Posted by The deltan on Tue, Feb 8, 2022, at 7:52 AM
  • jKeller3, according to the box score you guys must have done a spectacular job on her holding her to 12 points.

-- Posted by The deltan on Tue, Feb 8, 2022, at 9:37 AM

Dang it Deltan, can't make that one. I'll have to catch a YouTube or heck, she's a Jr so I can always catch her next year!

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Tue, Feb 8, 2022, at 2:46 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: