High School Basketball Forum: District time...predictions, upsets, players to watch....

Posted by TimeHop96 on Fri, Feb 15, 2019, at 1:58 PM:

Best time of the year!!

Class 1: Can Risco defend their 1 seed? Will SCC win another now that they are healthy? Can Clarkton come up with another upset after knocking off South Pemiscot?

Class 2: is Portageville the real deal this year and prove the doubters wrong? Can Bernie beat Hayti again? Can Hayti repeat? How does South Pemiscot respond coming off 2 straight losses? Can Campbell's young group win their first district title ever?

Class 3: anyway Charleston loses at home? Does NMCC continue their good play for a upset. Can Twin Rivers Hayden Thomas take them to the finals? Kennett ready now or need 1 more year?

So many questions can't wait for tip off!!

Replies (55)

• Class 1- Risco

Class 2- Hayti. Bernie won’t beat em twice

Class 3- Twin Rivers won’t beat NMCC. Charleston gonna be real tough at home but they can be beat. Don’t count Kennett out. Playing really good right now.

-- Posted by Indian42 on Fri, Feb 15, 2019, at 8:28 PM
  • Class -1 Risco doesn't have anyone in that district that can pull the upset.

Class -2 Bernie or Campbell, Bernie can shot from outside, Hayti doesn't defend the outside well,if Bernie gets hot game over. Campbell is young and is the darkhorse but are playing good winning 8 out the 9 and can also get hot from outside.

Class -3 NMCC

-- Posted by VFL23 on Fri, Feb 15, 2019, at 11:14 PM
  • Class 1 - Risco (Although SCC will give them a game)

Class 2 - P'Ville

Class 3 - I see a 35th (I think) district crown in the Jays' future.

-- Posted by AgentMan on Sat, Feb 16, 2019, at 8:16 AM
  • Class 1, SCC

Class 2 Bernie

Class 3, Charleston

-- Posted by The deltan on Sat, Feb 16, 2019, at 3:43 PM
  • 1. RISSCO

2. HAYTI

3. CHARLESTON

-- Posted by Missco1203 on Sat, Feb 16, 2019, at 5:14 PM
  • Delta by at least 10 over Risco!!!!

-- Posted by jiffy on Mon, Feb 18, 2019, at 7:26 PM
  • 1-Risco. Delta will try to take it to the hoop, but the Tigers have enough size to defend that move. 2-Hayti. They are athletic enough to overcome any shortcomings. I like the spirit of the young Campbell team, but they are at least a year away from a district championship. 3-NMCC. Coach has been there and done that. He will have them ready. Seems to be a down year for C3D1.

-- Posted by elrod48 on Mon, Feb 18, 2019, at 8:02 PM
  • C1D1, will be a Scott Miss, Tri County conference show down.

-- Posted by The deltan on Tue, Feb 19, 2019, at 12:00 PM
  • I'm going to say it's going to come down to SCC and Risco. Risco has been battled tested all year with a tough schedule and will be hard to beat. I don't think Gideon has enough fire power to beat SCC

-- Posted by TimeHop96 on Tue, Feb 19, 2019, at 1:17 PM
  • TimeHop96, you might have a point? They will just have put on the floor and see.

-- Posted by The deltan on Tue, Feb 19, 2019, at 3:15 PM
  • TimeHop96, do you think Delta has played weak schedule? When you play teams like Oran, SCC, and Oak Ridge twice. Battle tested? Granted, we didn't play a Brutal Schedule like SCC but we played a very competitive one.

-- Posted by The deltan on Tue, Feb 19, 2019, at 3:32 PM
  • Those are good teams you have played for sure. Was you able to win some? I haven't really kept up with your team honestly. Just know Risco has played several top notch teams this year and has knocked several off. They gave hayti all they wanted last week.

-- Posted by TimeHop96 on Tue, Feb 19, 2019, at 3:56 PM
  • Got any forecasts on commodity prices jiffy

-- Posted by Ernie D on Tue, Feb 19, 2019, at 9:29 PM
  • Risco vs SCC.... SCC much improved since the beginning of the season while Risco has had a solid season with a very disciplined/fundamental team. Should be a very competitive game with no clear favorite. Charleston is rolling and should have little trouble putting away Caruthersville for the class 3 district 1 title. Just my spin on these 2 games!

-- Posted by indian73 on Wed, Feb 20, 2019, at 1:26 AM
  • Ernie D... I predict $14 bushel soybeans by March 1....

-- Posted by indian73 on Wed, Feb 20, 2019, at 1:28 AM
  • Congrats to Bernie!

-- Posted by Chris Trimmer on Wed, Feb 20, 2019, at 6:17 AM
  • Bernie/portageville what's your take??

To me Bernie has to be the favorite. Bernie plays methodical and disciplined basketball. They have several shooters so you can't key on just 1 player. Portageville always does just enough to win. They play tough at home. But not sure they can defend all of Bernies shooters. Campbell had them on the ropes all game and Bernie is a all around better team than Campbell. But I think it will be close for a half with Bernie pulling away late.

-- Posted by TimeHop96 on Wed, Feb 20, 2019, at 8:55 AM
  • C2D3 Semis tonight. Oran with only 1 loss on the season looking strong going into matchup vs Chaffee. Advance with momentum after a first round upset of #3 St. Vincent, looking for another one vs #2 Oak Ridge.

-- Posted by surfgurl_09 on Wed, Feb 20, 2019, at 10:52 AM
  • Advance is going to be a tough out for Oak Ridge if they can repeat the performance they had against St. Vincent.

-- Posted by Chris Trimmer on Wed, Feb 20, 2019, at 11:29 AM
  • LT1960, I totally agree. I wasn’t able to watch that game, but expected it to be much closer, with no clear favorite going in. Apparently Coach Wheetley had his kids ready to compete!

Should be a good one.

-- Posted by surfgurl_09 on Wed, Feb 20, 2019, at 11:55 AM
  • Coach Wheetley does a great job and his teams work very hard. They just completely outworked and outhustled St. Vincent. The Indians might have had more talent but Advance had more heart and determination!!

-- Posted by Chris Trimmer on Wed, Feb 20, 2019, at 12:17 PM
  • Oak Ridge showed up and played last night. They took it to Advance.

-- Posted by Chris Trimmer on Thu, Feb 21, 2019, at 9:01 AM
  • LT1960, yes they did. They got after it on defense, and I thought showed a lot of patience on the offensive end.

Looking forward to a great game tomorrow night!

-- Posted by surfgurl_09 on Thu, Feb 21, 2019, at 9:50 AM
  • If Oak Ridge can bring it again like last night we could have another game between them and Oran coming down to the last shot, like the game at Oran 65-62. That was a great game, hope it plays out like that tomorrow!

-- Posted by Chris Trimmer on Thu, Feb 21, 2019, at 10:15 AM
  • Oak Ridge has to play their game. Last night it seemed that Chaffee kind of fell victim to letting Oran dictate tempo, especially early. When Chaffee made a run back at them mid-game cutting a large deficit basically in half, Chaffee was back to doing some of the things they do really well. More ball movement, and consequently getting the ball into the paint more. More discipline on offense seemed to cut down quite a bit on the number of wide open looks Oran was getting.

Just $.02 from the bleachers.

-- Posted by surfgurl_09 on Thu, Feb 21, 2019, at 11:57 AM
  • Surfgurl_09, that's a $.02 well spent. I always like your feed back on the game.

-- Posted by The deltan on Thu, Feb 21, 2019, at 6:49 PM
  • The deltan - thank you. I always enjoy your input also. You going to make it over to Chaffee tomorrow night?

-- Posted by surfgurl_09 on Thu, Feb 21, 2019, at 9:58 PM
  • Early season I had Delta picked for a C1D1 title. Very talented group of kids that played some great basketball this year.

-- Posted by surfgurl_09 on Thu, Feb 21, 2019, at 10:11 PM
  • Congratulations to the young men from Portageville. They play well together, work hard as a team and appear to be a special bunch of young men. A very talented Bernie team fell to an equally talented team of Bulldogs. Hats off to a very competitive district game.

-- Posted by Black Knight on Thu, Feb 21, 2019, at 10:45 PM
  • Surfgurl_09, me too, but Delta had some problems down the stretch. The boys were not getting along among other things I can't discuss on here. Hey! It is what it is.

-- Posted by The deltan on Fri, Feb 22, 2019, at 5:52 AM
  • The deltan, sorry to hear that about the team. Hopefully, it all gets worked out during the offseason. Seems to be just the opposite at Oak Ridge. Looks like the team came together down the stretch. However, they have a very difficult task in front of them if they want that first district title.

-- Posted by Chris Trimmer on Fri, Feb 22, 2019, at 6:24 AM
  • LT1960, that will be a difficult task, but it's not an posible one. You have the chemistry and the right coach in place to to pull the up set. You guys will have to play your game.

-- Posted by The deltan on Fri, Feb 22, 2019, at 6:54 AM
  • Correction, impossible

-- Posted by The deltan on Fri, Feb 22, 2019, at 6:55 AM
  • Well said surfgurl_09!

-- Posted by Chris Trimmer on Fri, Feb 22, 2019, at 11:20 AM
  • now Lou....nobody called anyone a JT.

-- Posted by Dick Pepperfield on Fri, Feb 22, 2019, at 12:30 PM

As an Oran fan, I can assure you that I am nowhere near as confident as "Dick"!

-- Posted by larry doby 14 on Fri, Feb 22, 2019, at 3:58 PM
  • I'm just hoping for a great game that we can all enjoy! Good luck to both teams tonight!!

-- Posted by Chris Trimmer on Fri, Feb 22, 2019, at 4:20 PM
  • And 2 other things that were a major difference was Defense and Rebounding!! Thought Oak Ridge lacked defense throughout the year and that always catches up to any Team this time of the year!!

-- Posted by coachkdt on Sat, Feb 23, 2019, at 8:55 AM
  • Did you really just blame one of your players for losing the game.

Where is Surfgirl so she can talk about a lack of class. What kind of coach gets on a forum and says that they lost because one player couldn’t play defense?????

Coach, you need to watch some film. You lost because no one on your team is interested in rebounding or helping on defense.

Come on surfgirl, show that you can be fair, you complained about Dick disrespecting players, tell you own coach how wrong he was.

Don’t worry cause I will. I will be contacting your bosses, there are some things I won’t stand for in my communitity. You’re not going to get on this site and blame this loss on one player not playing good defense.

Hey Coach, how many shots did Layton take last night since you’re putting up all these shooting numbers. In fact why don’t you post shot attempts by player for the district tournament. Pretty sure he took more than most players combined. You’re willing to throw out these numbers, well let’s just see how “even” it was.

-- Posted by El Burro on Sat, Feb 23, 2019, at 9:48 AM

What makes you think that was Coach Trimmer? I think he does post on here occasionally but he has a different screen name. It may be "Dick" trying to stir the pot some more. And please don't think that "Dick" is representative of the Oran fan base. Most of us breathed a sigh of relief when the final buzzer sounded!

-- Posted by larry doby 14 on Sat, Feb 23, 2019, at 9:58 AM
  • It is Coach, without a doubt he either changed his name from bearcat fan or started a new account.

He’s on here giving love to Deltan the exact same way bearcat fan did. He posts at crazy hours of the night. Plus, who else has those shooting numbers.

Who give me game descriptions like he just did about LeGrand’s inabilities.

Don’t hide now coach, we all know it was you and I’m still contacting Mr. Horrell Monday morning. I’ve already sent a text to LeGrand’s parents about your comments.

-- Posted by El Burro on Sat, Feb 23, 2019, at 10:12 AM
  • I hope these student—athletes had fun playing the game, competed as best they could, and realize that high school sports won’t be the pinnacle of their lives. The second guessing and critiquing from a bunch of has-beens and never-was is part of the forum, but most of us would throw our back out trying to lace up our Chuck Taylor’s and couldn’t step foot on a court. To make up for our this sad reality, we like to harken back to our days of playing JV ball as a senior where we averaged 3.7 ppg, 2.1 rebounds, and wore shorts that barely fit a Ken doll.

-- Posted by Run the Race on Sat, Feb 23, 2019, at 10:23 AM
  • Just so we are clear, I'm not the coach and I don't believe any blame was placed on anyone. You can send any text you want but that doesn't change the facts that the team played well and then some haters come on here and attack David Layton and the team. The reason Oak Ridge lost was because Oran just has a better team period. They are deeper and Oak Ridge plays six kids. With only 1 kid over 6'.

-- Posted by Chris Trimmer on Sat, Feb 23, 2019, at 10:45 AM
  • No matter what anybody comments on here I'm proud of our Oak Ridge boys they played a great game against Oran and Congrats Oran on the win!! These boys have worked hard all year and have made several accomplishments this season and I look forward to seeing what they accomplish next year!!! Stay United Boys no matter what anybody says you are a TEAM to be reckon with!!! Go Bluejays!!

-- Posted by scham00 on Sat, Feb 23, 2019, at 11:21 AM

And you should be!

-- Posted by larry doby 14 on Sat, Feb 23, 2019, at 12:10 PM
  • Oak Ridge 4 Life, I assure you LT1960 is not Coach Trimmer.

-- Posted by The deltan on Sat, Feb 23, 2019, at 12:49 PM
  • Heck of a game. Lots of credit to both teams...Oak Ridge for looking nothing like an underdog in the first half, and taking it to Oran on both ends of the floor, and Oran, like a team of their caliber will, absorbing that first half damage and finding a way to swing the game right out of the gates in the second half.

Oran continues to push talent through that pipeline, and I think most would agree that their coaching is among the best in this area.

Oak Ridge is obviously moving in the right direction. They have one of the best all-around players in SEMO in D. Layton, and a very talented group around him. Add to that a 7th and 8th grade who went undefeated this year, and the Bluejays are looking good for several years. The lynchpin to all this is a coach who is putting time in with his team that is unprecedented for the program.

Proud of the Bluejays and what they’ve accomplished this season, and wishing the Eagles the best of luck in their State run.

-- Posted by surfgurl_09 on Sat, Feb 23, 2019, at 1:57 PM

I had to delete a few comments on this thread due to personal attacks on high school athletes. Moving forward, I will be monitoring this thread and will freeze it if posters continue to make excessively critical and harsh comments on high schoolers.

Take a moment and think before you post. These are 14-18 year old kids we are talking about.

-- Posted by Phillip Suitts on Sat, Feb 23, 2019, at 4:06 PM
  • Thank you!

-- Posted by Run the Race on Sat, Feb 23, 2019, at 5:30 PM
  • It is sad and pathetic to see adults hiding behind a username to attack players and a coaching staff.

-- Posted by Semo1990 on Sat, Feb 23, 2019, at 6:26 PM
  • Who's hiding??

-- Posted by coachkdt on Sat, Feb 23, 2019, at 7:41 PM
  • Oak Ridge for Life, who do you think Surfgirl is? I’ve been trying to figure it out but can’t.

-- Posted by Fan1988 on Mon, Feb 25, 2019, at 11:13 AM

Oak Ridge 4 Life, I assure you LT1960 is not Coach Trimmer.

-- Posted by The deltan on Sat, Feb 23, 2019, at 12:49 PM

He was talking about coachkdt. Several posts were deleted, but in one coachkdt calls out one player in particular and the rant is on.

-- Posted by larry doby 14 on Mon, Feb 25, 2019, at 12:09 PM
  • Larry don't 14, coachkdt did not call out any player, coach, or person. Just stated that the player, that was called out by another person, only had one shot attempt in the 2nd half. That's the only thing that I commented about in regards to any player. I did not call out anyone. That's not an accurate post.

-- Posted by coachkdt on Mon, Feb 25, 2019, at 1:58 PM

sorry, kd, that post was deleted so I was working from a shaky memory. Whatever you said, sure got OR4L fired up though, didn't it?

-- Posted by larry doby 14 on Mon, Feb 25, 2019, at 2:48 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: