High School Basketball Forum: GBB: Dexter / NC

Posted by cardinalnation on Sun, Mar 4, 2018, at 11:15 AM:

I would think the Bearcats have the edge in this one. I don't know much about NC other than they played Farmington close three times this season, winning two. Anyone have an update on the Lady Raiders?

Replies (44)

• Really good soph...6'0"...scored 25 v Farmington.

No outside shooters and not overly athletic. Good freshman guard, can't shoot but pretty good distributor.

Truthfully, not sure how they ever beat Farmington or even played them that close other than the fact they just played a lot harder and scrappier than Farmington.

Dexter, unfortunately, will win easily.

-- Posted by BTIndians on Sun, Mar 4, 2018, at 2:34 PM
  • NC girls- best way to describe them is Young and Scrappy! they play hard. They have a sophomore girl that is good down low, good freshman point guard that can move, and the rest of the supporting staff is just play good defense, rebound, and score when they have opportunities. Play well as a team - but their young and will be good for a while, will be a force in 2 more years for sure.

If Dexter is a seasoned senior team then I would definitely give them the edge but they have to battle for it.

Wish I could watch it, probably be a good game.

-- Posted by thatDude on Mon, Mar 5, 2018, at 10:19 AM
  • Dexter by 15-20

-- Posted by CalPreps on Mon, Mar 5, 2018, at 10:45 AM
  • Dexter has only 1 senior, but she's a pretty good one, about 6' or 6'1". They have a junior about 5'6" that is averaging around 27ppg and has broken nearly all of their offensive records already. Last I heard she is 'down' to around 45% from 3 for the season. Dexter handled both Park Hills and Farmington pretty well this season.

-- Posted by 3Rfan on Mon, Mar 5, 2018, at 4:28 PM
  • CentrAl did not play dexter this year and Farmington lost by 6. NC has the size to match up with dexter. It could be a close game.

-- Posted by ES1234 on Mon, Mar 5, 2018, at 7:12 PM
  • They were scheduled on Jan. 15 I guess that was one that was cancelled due to weather. It was last year that Dexter beat them down this way. Dexter has played very well at times this season and not so well other games. I guess we'll see how it goes real soon.

-- Posted by 3Rfan on Mon, Mar 5, 2018, at 9:17 PM
  • Dexter will have the running clock by the fourth quarter. NC no match for Dexter.

-- Posted by bigknightfan on Mon, Mar 5, 2018, at 10:53 PM
  • Wow - bitter much bigKnightFan! I'm sure that's what you said about the district final. anything can happen as these girls have proved, and from the post above looks like Dexter beat you only by a couple more points than NC.

-- Posted by thatDude on Tue, Mar 6, 2018, at 9:37 AM
  • LOL I'm sure it's hard for Farm fans to admit NC had better team.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Tue, Mar 6, 2018, at 10:47 AM
  • Dexter will crush NC they have to much experience and they got one of the best scores ever in there schools history she is only a junior and broke a lot of records already so im gonna deter by 20.

-- Posted by bearcatbasketball999 on Tue, Mar 6, 2018, at 11:10 AM
  • Dexter has 3 kids over 6’0 with the Allen girl at 6’2”. Good guards and a 6th man that started at times during the year. She did not play in the Farmington game. Not sure if NC has seen this kind of size but this time of year you have to come to play every night!

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Tue, Mar 6, 2018, at 11:15 AM
  • bearcatbasketball999 - I can tell you from watching ball that it doesn't matter how great of scorer you have, everyone has their weaknesses, off nights, etc... Just ask NC boys - they had one of the best scorers in school history and even ranks up there in state history I hear? they'll be watching from the sideline. those one dimensional games will kill a TEAM.

Hope it will be a good game, and if not then you'll probably be playing this same NC team for the next couple years.

-- Posted by thatDude on Tue, Mar 6, 2018, at 12:26 PM
  • thatdude-chaylea knows how to get her tam fired up and get them involved and once that happens its over sorry to say that. and if she get off to a hot start good luck stoping her. and North county is young and fight for the ball that is it.

-- Posted by bearcatbasketball999 on Tue, Mar 6, 2018, at 12:54 PM
  • thatdude-chaylea knows how to get her team fired up and get them involved and once that happens its over sorry to say that. and if she get off to a hot start good luck stoping her. and North county is young and fight for the ball that is it.

-- Posted by bearcatbasketball999 on Tue, Mar 6, 2018, at 12:55 PM
  • NC will start 2 6 footers and bring another off the bench. I think they can give dexter a good game.

-- Posted by ES1234 on Tue, Mar 6, 2018, at 12:58 PM
  • Dexter is definitely more talented but NC is gritty.

-- Posted by taxpayer parent on Tue, Mar 6, 2018, at 1:47 PM
  • Well Dexter has a 7 footer who is being recruited by UCONN but she's not gritty. Geez...It will be a good game let's leave it at that. Chest beating is running rampant today.

-- Posted by lonesomedavepeverett on Tue, Mar 6, 2018, at 2:03 PM
  • Is the game being streamed? YHC says they were going to but the stream is offline on their YouTube channel.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Tue, Mar 6, 2018, at 6:32 PM

apparently not even a contest...

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Tue, Mar 6, 2018, at 6:35 PM
  • it’s a beatdown. next.

-- Posted by bball79 on Tue, Mar 6, 2018, at 6:37 PM
  • Yeah I didn’t figure this game would be close at all.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Tue, Mar 6, 2018, at 6:43 PM
  • Didn't YHCTV have internet problems from Farmington civic center last year? Sucks if I can't watch sikeston Hillsboro game.

-- Posted by vman on Tue, Mar 6, 2018, at 6:53 PM
  • 61-23 Final

-- Posted by robbincrosby on Tue, Mar 6, 2018, at 7:06 PM

They did struggle last year as well..

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Tue, Mar 6, 2018, at 7:17 PM
  • Mosby is probably the best girl player in SEMO but the team is not one dimensional. For all you posters that thought this would be a good close game should get out and watch a little more basketball. I admit this was probably one of Dexter's better games of the year.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Tue, Mar 6, 2018, at 7:43 PM
  • Not surprised by the score. NC finished 5th in the Mineral Area Conference and had not played well for awhile until they beat Farmington in the District.

I think that was more about Farmington than them.

NC just had a bunch of hard working gritty players with not a lot of skill.

Dexter was likely to just out talent them...and they did.

-- Posted by BTIndians on Tue, Mar 6, 2018, at 9:53 PM
  • Mosby is a very good player. I could of swore she graduated. Then I see she’s just a junior. Was she starting as a freshmen? I know it was a few years ago I last seen her

-- Posted by Observer24 on Tue, Mar 6, 2018, at 10:56 PM
  • She did start as freshman and very likely could have started varsity when she was in 8th grade. She didn't have a very night shooting the 3 by her standards and still had 22 points with a defender in her face all night. Dexter had a big edge experience. There's not a kid on their team that hasn't been to this round of playoffs, they have won 8 district titles in a row. NC was shell shocked after about 3 minutes and it was over after the 1st quarter. Both teams could be there again next year.

-- Posted by 3Rfan on Tue, Mar 6, 2018, at 11:12 PM
  • If the Districts don't change, NC will be. District will be even weaker next year than this year. NC would dominate it next year.

Rumor is thought that PH Central may finally have to count all of their students and move up to class 4.

North County may still win it...but they would at least be challenged somewhat, though NC has more talent returning than PH.

-- Posted by BTIndians on Tue, Mar 6, 2018, at 11:19 PM
  • 3Rfan that would make sense. Thurmon was a nice player as well. How long has Allen been around? He’s building quite the resume

-- Posted by Observer24 on Wed, Mar 7, 2018, at 3:48 AM
  • The rumor going around is park hills coach might be making a move

-- Posted by ES1234 on Wed, Mar 7, 2018, at 5:37 AM
  • Dexter put on a clinic.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Wed, Mar 7, 2018, at 6:14 AM
  • Clinics tend to happen when playing a lot less talented team.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Wed, Mar 7, 2018, at 7:43 AM
  • You try to play Dexter's game at their tempo with less talent and you will get blown away. The only chance NC had was to break the press, set up their half court offense and pound it down inside.

Like a lot of teams they were forced into playing at Dexter's speed early on and if they weren't turning it over they were taking quick shots that missed.

I've seen better Dexter teams than this one.

-- Posted by earnedit on Wed, Mar 7, 2018, at 4:09 PM
  • There's been a couple of the Dexter teams over the last few years that could beat this one but a couple of those teams had to run into Incarnate Ward, which would turbo this team. So, just poor luck those years with IW being in the way of state titles.

-- Posted by CalPreps on Wed, Mar 7, 2018, at 4:16 PM
  • The way districts move around has either made or broke good Dexter teams in the past. Some excellent Dexter teams had to face the likes of MICDS in quarterfinals and stopped their moving to the final 4. Or if they made it ICW was first up in the final 4. I agree with CalPreps, this years trip is the luck of the draw, even when and if they make the final 4 they are on the weaker side.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Wed, Mar 7, 2018, at 4:53 PM
  • What is the score of the Jackson girls basketball game tonight

-- Posted by eric birk on Wed, Mar 7, 2018, at 6:58 PM
  • Jackson lost 58-47.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Wed, Mar 7, 2018, at 8:24 PM
  • Those IWA teams had a player named Napheesa Collier. She isn’t too bad.

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Wed, Mar 7, 2018, at 10:34 PM
  • It’s funny reading some of these comments, like getting weaker draw or weaker side of the bracket. Or this I’ve seen better dexter teams. Of course when you look at the next matchup for dexter, they play miller who has beaten micds, which micds beat parkway north, which parkway north beat IWA. I would take a weaker route to have one shot at a state title against private school powerhouse IWA! Yes, their have been better teams from dexter than this dexter team, but their have been better sikeston, or Charleston teams in the past, that doesn’t diminish what this years teams are doing. I’ve seen past sikeston and Charleston teams that would beat the current teams by 50! Good luck to all the SEMO teams, I hope one or more of them bring home a championship!

-- Posted by Wildcat23 on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 6:53 AM
  • "Rumor is thought that PH Central may finally have to count all of their students and move up to class 4."

Once again North County Raider fans like BT Indians show they don't know alot about high school sports by making comments like this. Let me give you the "facts"

PHC will NOT count ALL of their students next year. As a matter of fact, no MO high school will count all of their students. They will only count their students currently in grades 9-11 (the count for next year is actually in the process of being submitted right now by all schools) Because of PHC rising numbers (currently a huge 10th grade group), they WILL likely be Class 4 next year. This has been a Public Service Announcement.

-- Posted by Only facts on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 7:04 AM
  • Only Facts - you should understand what he means before you post your public service announcements. yes the counts for classification are for only highschool -- the fact is that there are some schools/AD's that turn in numbers that are not in context to the numbers the school turns into DESE for funding. what do you mean? - well some "mistakenly" forget every year to count "all" the high school students, mainly less fortunate ones such as alternative school students,etc... why? - lower counts for classification because its good to be the largest school in the district.

This will be resolved in the near future - as I hear all numbers will be taken from the DESE site and not submitted by AD's, This should level the playing field and stop any school from trying to fudge numbers.

-- Posted by thatDude on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 9:31 AM
  • Observer I think Coach Allen has been there 9 years, but I can't say for sure. Not sure how much longer he and Coach Sitze will stay with it, they both have boys that will be playing HS ball in the next year or two. They might be ready to sit back and watch them play.

-- Posted by 3Rfan on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 10:14 AM
  • That dude!! You are close to being right. Those schools do not “mistakenly” not count those “alternative” school students. It is approved by MSHSAA. You are correct in that ALL students will be counted (9-11 graders) next cycle to eliminate the past MSHSAA approved non-counting of such students. Will be curious to see how it affects a school like St James, who have not counted their “alternative students” in a girls home for many years.

-- Posted by Only facts on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 8:25 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: