High School Basketball Forum: Michael Porter Jr. commits to Mizzou

Posted by unclegrubworm on Fri, Mar 24, 2017, at 4:23 PM:

Tweeted it a few minutes ago.

Replies (82)

• -- Posted by unclegrubworm on Fri, Mar 24, 2017, at 4:27 PM

Shocked...

But good for MIZ... I though him going to Wash was weird anyway, but as a definite one-n-done, he should be fun for a year. Has Sr. been added to the staff yet?

-- Posted by secretagentman on Fri, Mar 24, 2017, at 4:45 PM

Yes Sr. has. One has to wonder if the presence of Porter jr. at Mizzou will bring more high profile recruits in..

-- Posted by cker23 on Fri, Mar 24, 2017, at 4:50 PM
  • If his brother reclassifies and goes to Mizzou is he a 1 and done also?

-- Posted by crackerjack on Fri, Mar 24, 2017, at 5:06 PM

He would not be just talent wise. I also don't think he would be 19 and eligible for the draft.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Mar 24, 2017, at 6:03 PM
  • It will be so interesting to see how the recruiting chips fall now that this is official.

Will his one and done situation attract top talent to join him for only the one year??

-- Posted by IndianPride on Fri, Mar 24, 2017, at 6:12 PM
  • We Mizzou fans owe MPjr a big thanks. This is the decision that will effect change. Now the in state talent will start staying at home.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Fri, Mar 24, 2017, at 7:04 PM
  • This will make Mizzou competitors again in the SEC

-- Posted by grizzliesfan348 on Fri, Mar 24, 2017, at 8:41 PM
  • Judging from this year's tournament the Sec is stronger than a lot of people thought...

-- Posted by But on Fri, Mar 24, 2017, at 8:50 PM
  • I'm not sure this one player, for one year, will make them competitive in the SEC next year. Other pieces will be needed...think Ben Simmons...

-- Posted by IndianPride on Fri, Mar 24, 2017, at 9:03 PM
  • This is bush league at best by Mizzou. If you have to employee a dad to get a player, that does not help your program for the future.

-- Posted by BonScott on Fri, Mar 24, 2017, at 9:12 PM
  • Agree with IP. This doesn't make a PROGRAM. Kentucky will have 5 or 6 more 1 and dones next year in the SEC.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Fri, Mar 24, 2017, at 9:27 PM

Blake Harris out of North Carolina who was previously released from NLI with Washington will visit Mizzou officially on Monday. Miz has 1 scholarship left and I wouldn't be surprised if it's offered to him.

-- Posted by cker23 on Fri, Mar 24, 2017, at 10:00 PM
  • Far from bush league, Kansas has done it twice that I know of. Danny Manning and Mario Chalmers. It's just the way the NCAA does it now and Mizzou is just trying to keep up.

-- Posted by pj1972 on Fri, Mar 24, 2017, at 10:24 PM
  • It absolutely is bush league because it happens very seldom and it's grasping for straws...

-- Posted by BonScott on Fri, Mar 24, 2017, at 10:35 PM
  • What's your address BonScott? I'm going to mail you a box of Kleenex.

-- Posted by The Deuce on Fri, Mar 24, 2017, at 10:37 PM
  • The Deuce,

Why would you want to do that?

-- Posted by BonScott on Fri, Mar 24, 2017, at 11:02 PM
  • Bon-I totally disagree with you. There is nothing bush league at all about this. Furthermore, this kind of thing happens all the time. Sometimes it's a parent. sometimes it's an AAU coach or even a former HS coach. I also disagree with you regarding the future. This is very positive for Mizzou. Porter is born and bred Missouri.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Sat, Mar 25, 2017, at 12:29 AM
  • Remember when former Charleston BB coach got a job at SLU?

Programs like kansas do much more than this. They hire a parent who was not even a coach to coach. They bring the families from all parts of the country and give them jobs..or pretend jobs in Lawrence to get the player there.

It works for them. I don't hear Vitale doing anything but talking about what a great program they are.

-- Posted by BTIndians on Sat, Mar 25, 2017, at 3:14 AM
  • Maybe if Arkansas would have put Monk's mother on the coaching staff instead of just getting her a job in Bentonville, Malik would be playing against Kentucky tomorrow night instead of for them.

-- Posted by Ernie D on Sat, Mar 25, 2017, at 8:52 AM
  • I guess the Razorbacks would have beaten UNC with him listening to his mom instead of Anderson.

-- Posted by Ernie D on Sat, Mar 25, 2017, at 8:59 AM
  • Ernie might wanna lay off the sauce.

Porter will be the best recruiting tool Mizzou has right now. Blake Harris will likely commit to Mizzou. Jontay will come to Mizzou.

It doesn't guarantee anything in terms of wins and loses except they will win more then 8 games next year!

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Sat, Mar 25, 2017, at 9:14 AM
  • Here'a a sobering thought. Maybe they can get Steph Curry also. I understand his dad isn't busy now days

-- Posted by Ernie D on Sat, Mar 25, 2017, at 10:15 AM
  • You might want to get some smelling sauce or maybe have your mom smack you in the face with a shovel.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Sat, Mar 25, 2017, at 10:35 AM
  • I sort of hope Cuonzo Martin's presentation of the University of Missouri will become the Tigers best recruiting tool. Is Father Porter going to be one and done also? It would be nice to see born and bred in state players want to play and graduate at Mizzou. I really think if young Porter is good enough he should be allowed to go straight to the pro's like baseball players can. For the long term it would be gratifying to see Missouri demonstrate it is a place where talented players could flourish both athletically and academically. This state has enough good players to do that and win. I have lots of Kentucky relatives that kind of miss seeing more than one or two born and bred players on the team.

-- Posted by Ernie D on Sat, Mar 25, 2017, at 10:44 AM
  • Heck, area high schools offer parents jobs to get their sons to transfer, so what's the big deal. Michael may stay 2 yrs to play with Jontay.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Sat, Mar 25, 2017, at 11:02 AM
  • I assume the Missourians on here that don't like how Mizzou is trying to "jump start" their program are the ones at 10 years old jumped on some teams national bandwagon because they were always good. I applaud a student athlete being confident enough in his game to choose to go somewhere like Washington or Mizzou instead of just following programs with a whole slew of five stars. We have had a bunch of great high school athletes in our state that would have helped get Mizzou in the national limelight and still would have made it where they are today because of their talent, but obviously those guys must not have had enough confidence in their game or they just went to where the $$$'s were bigger!!!!!

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Sat, Mar 25, 2017, at 11:07 AM
  • I don't understand the overreaction in the name of "loyalty," thinking athletes should feel obligated to go a particular in-state university. People think nothing of "non-athletes" who choose to go to any university of their choosing, so why a double standard for athletes? If coaches are encouraged to welcome athletes from other states, then there should be no ill feelings for the Otto Porters, Tyler Hansbroughs, Greg Tuckers, Anthony Beanes, Jayson Tatums, etc. who elect to attend elsewhere.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Sat, Mar 25, 2017, at 2:53 PM
  • Agree Semo, especially when those other schools are almost always better.

-- Posted by BonScott on Sat, Mar 25, 2017, at 3:51 PM
  • Can't resist mentioning those good UNC classes,BonScott. I hear that Tyler is one fantastic clogger now.

-- Posted by Ernie D on Sat, Mar 25, 2017, at 6:18 PM
  • It doesn't have anything to do with loyalty. But a guy like Porter could easily change the way in state guys, as well as guys from just across the river look at Mizzou basketball. Of course, they're going to have to win. IF Mizzou could elevate its program to a point to where they were a serious contender to win it could attract in state talent.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Sat, Mar 25, 2017, at 6:33 PM
  • I don't think Tucker was offered by Mizzou.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Sat, Mar 25, 2017, at 6:58 PM
  • I agree reddirt, if these guys stay in state for college, have a good career, and get a degree, they should be set for life after basketball, regardless if they never sign that huge pro contract. Kentucky, N Carolina, and Kansas don't lose local recruits like Mizzou. Martin will get it done at Mizzou!!! It will be great when Mizzou and SLU are good again. I miss it!!

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Sat, Mar 25, 2017, at 7:17 PM
  • The recent state of Mizzou athletics makes me think of another question...was the move to the SEC a good idea??

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Mar 25, 2017, at 7:25 PM
  • Ernie D I reckon Tyler can do anything he wants now. I'd guess he's made more money playing in the NBA than you and I could ever hope to make. Hopefully he has taken care of it properly.

-- Posted by 3Rfan on Sat, Mar 25, 2017, at 9:07 PM
  • Really was'nt serious, but I guess college basketball must be.

-- Posted by Ernie D on Sat, Mar 25, 2017, at 9:26 PM
  • Go ahead and poke fun of Tyler H. the all-time career scoring leader not only at UNC, but for the entire ACC!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Sat, Mar 25, 2017, at 9:27 PM
  • Sure and Michael Jr. will likely make his millions and never have a financial worry. Not everyone will go pro. Take someone like Fred Thatch. Maybe I'm wrong, but to me he will be a solid DI player somewhere, but probably not a NBA player. If not, and if you have a good athletic career and get a degree from Mizzou (or SLU), that will open a lot of doors after basketball in the state with businesses. Not that I would blame any kid for not choosing Mizzou in recent history. I think Martin and Porter changes the program instantly with the way the in state talent perceives our flagship university. I bet Travis Ford no longer has the inside track with talent in this part of the state.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Sat, Mar 25, 2017, at 9:38 PM
  • Comment derived from statement that most schools such as

UNC were better than Mizzou

. I guess I should have used maybe George Karl's name or someone else less esteemed.

Sheesh.

-- Posted by Ernie D on Sat, Mar 25, 2017, at 9:44 PM
  • Bogey! Great point about the degree being paid for and what that means for these kids future! Very few have the opportunity to make bball a career...get that degree and use the lessons from sports to have a great impact on the job you choose!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Mar 25, 2017, at 9:53 PM
  • "Greg Tuckers, Anthony Beanes, who elect to attend elsewhere."

No offense, but Tucker and Beane were not even close to the level of the other three mentioned. I was told that Beane was headed to Southeast until he tore up the JUCO tournament in Hutchinson and K-State latched on to him.

-- Posted by hoopsguru on Sun, Mar 26, 2017, at 7:31 AM
  • And Beane had a great career at K-State....So what's your point?

-- Posted by BonScott on Sun, Mar 26, 2017, at 8:27 AM
  • My post was not limited to players electing "not" to go to Mizzou. Some players have been criticized at times for not going to Three Rivers or SEMO as well.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Sun, Mar 26, 2017, at 8:39 AM
  • I see no way a one and done player can effect future players coming in after they are gone. Its not like those players 2 years from now are going to get the chance to play with him. I do see how it could help fill the one remaining scholarship for this years team though. Its like saying I want to go play for UCLA because Ball played for them last year. Success recruits on its own. Win games and good players will show up. That's why Duke, UNC, Kentucky, and Kansas have been good for years not just seasons.

-- Posted by Crippled Crossover on Sun, Mar 26, 2017, at 10:02 AM
  • Isn't his brother gonna be a Senior in HS next year? If so maybe he stays another yr so he can play with his brother!

-- Posted by Bleed Green 2 on Sun, Mar 26, 2017, at 10:23 AM

Crippled Crossover hit the nail square on the head.

Next years draft is weak. The year after that will be strong. No way he stays two years.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Mar 26, 2017, at 12:34 PM

Tucker went to Jack st bc of Ronnie Dean. Let's not forget that. Same with the kid from cape and Del bogan. They were all recruited by Dean.

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Sun, Mar 26, 2017, at 12:39 PM
  • Michael Porter would be the #1 pick in this year's draft, next year's draft, and 2019's draft.

-- Posted by The Deuce on Sun, Mar 26, 2017, at 12:55 PM

Wouldn't be the first pick in this years draft or 2019's draft. To many bad teams need point guards this year. 2019 better players

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Mar 26, 2017, at 1:04 PM
  • It is not a forgone conclusion that Michael is a one and done. The way I understand it, brother Jontay is listed as a soph this year but is trying to reclassify as a senior next year. It probably is possible to graduate high school in 3 yrs with summer classes and independent study classes. The brothers want to play together at Mizzou like the Porter sisters. This is a unique family - home schooled kids until 8th grade, both parents with college degrees and professional jobs, very close family with a couple more kids at home. I would bet all the kids are expected to get a degree, even Michael Jr. And Dad will be there everyday influencing the decision. I'm thinking he stays 2 years and maybe 3, depending on when Jontay arrives, and how successful Mizzou becomes. I don't think signing that big pro contract as soon as possible is the number one concern for the family, and the money will still be there.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Sun, Mar 26, 2017, at 6:38 PM

Jontay is a junior class of 2018. yeah could definitely take those classes like you said and reclassify a grade ahead. I described how he could do it on my college recruiting thread if you take a look at that, it's been bumped off the front page. I'll also never post on this website again if MP Jr. doesn't go one and done.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Mar 26, 2017, at 6:43 PM
  • Of course, winning is the best recruiting tool. But we're talking about Mizzou. 27 wins in the last 3 years. They suck. Getting Porter Jr is a boost to recruiting itself. That combined with the hiring of Martin will complement each other. Jontay is probably a lock to come to Mizzou. NO WAY HE COMES TO MIZZOU IF BIG BRO DOESNT COME BEFOREHAND. When you get the highest of the high recruits it's going to change recruiting in the short term. Winning will change recruiting in the long term.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Sun, Mar 26, 2017, at 7:02 PM
  • Bogey I can't imagine a kid that would be a top pick in the NBA draft play more college ball than he has to before declaring for the draft. Why would he risk a draft killing injury to play another year with his brother? The education/degree will always be available to him. The NBA dream, and the money, not so much.

-- Posted by 3Rfan on Sun, Mar 26, 2017, at 9:00 PM
  • I'm with Buck and 3R...I just can't see a way he stays more than the required time. I personally don't even like the 1 year rule. Why deprive someone of their future earnings if they have the ability to start now??

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Mar 26, 2017, at 10:04 PM
  • Do you guys say the same thing about football?...

-- Posted by BonScott on Mon, Mar 27, 2017, at 12:23 AM
  • I agree Bon. I think they should have to stay 2 years so at least they have to attend class more than 1 semester. Yes there are some who are ready coming out of high school but the vast majority of them aren't.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Mar 27, 2017, at 7:26 AM
  • bon-what are you referring to with regards to football? One and done or Mizzou in general?

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Mon, Mar 27, 2017, at 7:35 AM
  • One and done.

-- Posted by BonScott on Mon, Mar 27, 2017, at 7:46 AM
  • Like many, I miss observing players remain at schools, but realistically, how can we "deny" them the choice to go pro when they choose? We never bat an eye when a young actor or musician becomes "professional," or even young tennis phenoms as well. Again, as a fan, I prefer the seeing teams with a blend of youth and experience; it just seems like those days are fading from the picture.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Mon, Mar 27, 2017, at 7:50 AM
  • I do not think that it would be wise to allow kids to enter the NFL right out of high school or after one year. In my opinion, the NFL is a totally different beast.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Mon, Mar 27, 2017, at 8:04 AM
  • I agree ozzy...I think the best remedy would be the way college baseball does it. But the NBA plays a huge roll in it as well.

-- Posted by BonScott on Mon, Mar 27, 2017, at 8:25 AM
  • It's all the NBA. It's a business and they don't want a bunch of guys who aren't ready and don't help the league make money, a lot of them think they're ready because AAU coaches and agents are telling them they are. I guess it may be a little better now with the D league they can play in and develop more and with letting them go through the combine and see where they stand.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Mar 27, 2017, at 10:19 AM
  • Bon, baseball gives multiple options on how its done, is that what you think is best?

Porter will be one and done.

-- Posted by orangekoolaid711 on Mon, Mar 27, 2017, at 12:56 PM
  • I like how NCAA baseball and MLB does it. I wouldn't have a problem with that at all.

-- Posted by BonScott on Mon, Mar 27, 2017, at 1:07 PM
  • Ben Simmons Re-Incarnated

-- Posted by grizzliesfan348 on Mon, Mar 27, 2017, at 1:38 PM
  • Hopefully he's a better shooter than Ben Simmons

-- Posted by But on Mon, Mar 27, 2017, at 1:43 PM
  • Alright, but you get my point. He'll change the team

-- Posted by grizzliesfan348 on Mon, Mar 27, 2017, at 1:45 PM
  • I don't understand the thought of requiring any athlete to complete any amount of college to be eligible to play pro sports. If the young person is over 18 and thinks they are good enough and the professional team thinks they are good enough then who else should have a say so? Professional sports is a business. If they draft a player that isn't ready then both pay the price. Just like any other business hiring employees. Should a NBA coach be required to coach in college first? If not what's the difference?

-- Posted by Crippled Crossover on Mon, Mar 27, 2017, at 1:52 PM

That's really the thing Mizzou is going to have to avoid grizzlie, or this whole thing could implode. Now I'm not saying it's going to, and honestly I don't think it will, but I'm just stating possibilities. LSU had #1 pick (next LeBron ha.) and didn't make the tournament. Washington last year had two first round picks on the team, and didn't make the tournament. Now this year they will have the #1 pick in Fultz and didn't make the tournament. California two years ago had two projected one and done players, and didn't make the tournament (Brown went one and done). Rabb came back and they didn't make the tourney again (now Rabb has declared for the draft). And Mizzou now had personnel from two of the programs I listed examples from. They really really need to shoot for making the tournament this upcoming year. Someone will come on and say oh they'll be fine if they don't. But LSU, Cal, and UW weren't fine. Michael won't be sticking around. It might help with other recruits and they see that as a destination to come to, but it didn't for LSU, Cal, and UW (and UNLV/Zimmerman, MSU/Newman, Texas/Turner, Marquette/Ellison, Maryland/Stone, NC State/Smith). I listed 9 programs, 6 of those coaches were let go after those incidents. So it's going to take more than one guy. I hope Martin is the guy to change Mizzou and head them in the right direction. The administration has to play a part in that as well.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Mar 27, 2017, at 1:52 PM

They do not have to complete any amount of college to be eligible to play professionally. This is the NBA's rule. They only have to be a year removed from graduation and 19 years old. They could go oversees or just sit a year if they so choose to (I wouldn't necessarily advise either of those options in the majority of cases). And I'm pretty much in agreement with your thought process crippled, just wanted to clarify that they do not have to go to college and it is not the NCAA's rule.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Mar 27, 2017, at 1:56 PM
  • I don't care if MPJ doesn't make Mizzou a "good program" because of course other teams like Kentucky and Florida are more historic programs. Michael Porter Jr will make Mizzou an instant contender, and this is so great for Tiger fans! It's about time we have a high caliber player come through. I guarantee other talented recruits will put Mizzou higher up on their list because of MPJ going there. I'm so excited for the season!

-- Posted by slumdogsports on Mon, Mar 27, 2017, at 2:30 PM
  • I really don't see one player, no matter how good they are, taking a 8-24 team in one of the toughest conferences to the NCAA tournament. NIT maybe but not the NCAA tournament.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Mon, Mar 27, 2017, at 6:03 PM
  • Mizzous situation is nothing like that's of LSU, for example. LSU had mad hype going into Ben's freshman year because they were loaded with other players. Antonio Blakeney will play in the NBA and was recruited in that same class They were ranked highly at the beginning of the season. Mizzou will not be ranked high at the beginning of next season. Mizzou needs to win a lot more games next year, but they don't necessarily have to make the NCAA tourney to continue to progress.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Mon, Mar 27, 2017, at 7:23 PM
  • Shoot if they finish at .500 that would be a positive.

-- Posted by heshootshescores on Wed, Mar 29, 2017, at 6:55 PM

I think they'll be a few games above .500 as is. However, recruiting season isn't over, yet.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Thu, Mar 30, 2017, at 8:53 AM
  • Exactly. That's what i'm saying. Everyone is pumped about MPJ, me especially. But Mizzou ain't winning 30 games next year. If they win 20(which is possible, 20 wins is not a tremendous amount) Mizzou arena will have been buzzing every night. And when Mizzou arena is rocking, it's quite the atmosphere that will attract people to Mizzou to play.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Thu, Mar 30, 2017, at 9:01 AM
  • From yesterday's STL Post Dispatch, interview with Michael says he is working hard on other undecided MacDonald's All Americans, especially good friend Kevin Knox, 6'7" from Tampa. He also stated that he is not a 100% one and done. I'm telling you all, he wants to play with his brother Jontay in college. They've been Mizzou fans all their lives and they want to take Mizzou to the NCAA tournament. If maybe Martin can steal the 2018 verbal commitments (kid from Webster Groves and one from East St. Louis away from SLU and Illinois respectively), and they could have something. Don't bet the farm on the one and done at Mizzou.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Thu, Mar 30, 2017, at 9:27 AM

They will likely add a few more guys in this class. There have been reports that at least a couple of players on the current roster will transfer, possibly to join Kim Anderson at Pittsburg State (KS). Martin is pursuing some highly rated high school seniors, but he may have to go the juco route for his center.

Bogey, speaking of Webster's big man, Carte'are Gordon, I saw him go to head against MPJ at the Mizzou Arena when Gordon was a freshman at Vianney and Porter a sophomore. Vianney was down 18 in the first half but Gordon put on a show and pushed Vianney to a 76-75 OT win. Porter was also outstanding. Finished with 23 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 blocks, and 5 steals. Gordon had 27 and 12. Jontay Porter and Tolton's other bigs could not handle him. (Jontay has improved quite a bit since then.)

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Thu, Mar 30, 2017, at 2:55 PM
  • Uncle!! Any word you can share on who may be transferring away from Mizzou??

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, Mar 30, 2017, at 5:40 PM

It seems to be accepted by some in the media who generally have good information that there will be transfers. I haven't heard specific names mentioned on air, but there is some chatter around that VanLeer, Geist, and Kemp may be on the list. Don't take it to the bank.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Fri, Mar 31, 2017, at 7:38 AM
  • Thanks uncle!! I'm very interested to see how all the pieces of the puzzle come together.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Fri, Mar 31, 2017, at 7:54 AM
  • I would think VanLeer for sure otherwise he will never see any minutes.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Mar 31, 2017, at 10:20 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: