High School Basketball Forum: District basketball host sites......

Posted by gianthook on Wed, Oct 12, 2016, at 3:24 PM:

Not all district basketball hosts have been chosen for next year, but I see where Ste. Genevieve is hosting C4D1 and Poplar Bluff is hosting C5D1.

Replies (70)

• South Pem is hosting Class 2 District 1 this year and Bernie is hosting it next year.

-- Posted by Shank on Wed, Oct 12, 2016, at 5:08 PM
  • Isn't St Gen in the same district with Sikeston? If so their gym is no where big enough for our following

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Oct 12, 2016, at 5:48 PM
  • Why can't all districts be held at the show me center when. it's open ? Start on a Friday night and run they Sunday

-- Posted by A fan of no fan on Thu, Oct 13, 2016, at 10:14 AM

Or in Dexter?

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Thu, Oct 13, 2016, at 1:53 PM
  • The Show-Me center hosting District basketball presents some very real problems:1. SEMO basketball plays there 2. Schools would have to rent the Show-Me Center, its not free 3. MSHSAA doesnt allow games to be played on Sundays except in extreme circumstances. 5. Host schools hire and pay their own workers out of gate receipts, SEMO would require higher wages.6. Travel for some teams could be a problem. Just a few thoughts.

-- Posted by semo ref on Thu, Oct 13, 2016, at 4:34 PM
  • Is there a vote that determines the host school or is there just a natural rotation of who hosts districts each year?

-- Posted by semo501 on Thu, Oct 13, 2016, at 9:20 PM
  • What is the seating capacity at Ste. Genevieve vs. Dexter? I'm not sure I've ever seen to a basketball game at Ste. Genevieve.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Oct 13, 2016, at 11:03 PM
  • Seating is a real issue for Class 4, District 1. Most of the high schools in the district, if not all of them, do not have a facility big enough to hold last year's crowd. You could just play championship night at the Show Me Center on a Friday night. SEMO rarely has college games on Friday nights.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Oct 13, 2016, at 11:07 PM
  • It's small is all I can say. I may be wrong but is the seating all on one side? I've only been there once and that's what I remember

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Oct 14, 2016, at 5:09 AM
  • Semo501- schools put in to host the tournament and then they vote on where the tournament will be held.

-- Posted by trainhard on Fri, Oct 14, 2016, at 8:50 AM
  • Seating is on both sides

-- Posted by hb1025 on Fri, Oct 14, 2016, at 9:26 AM
  • Ste Gen's gym isn't that small.

-- Posted by ESPN05 on Fri, Oct 14, 2016, at 9:29 AM
  • Really? Wondering what school I'm thinking of? This is what happens when u get old you can't remember crap

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Oct 14, 2016, at 10:04 AM

Found a short video on youtube that shows Ste. Gen's gym and unless they did some renovations that place is nowhere near capable of hosting a Class 4 district final.

https://youtu.be/nyGeSYWF4iQ

-- Posted by sbulldog4life on Fri, Oct 14, 2016, at 6:04 PM
  • How STUPID can MSHSAA be? This will cost them thousands of dollars and cost SEMO school at least hundreds of dollars for gas money to play in this location. The only schools close are Ste. Gen. and Perryville. Neither of them will be playing after the first night. Unless they are playing each other.

The last 2 years Sikeston has turned away 100's of people on the Championship night, and if I remember right Dexter turned away folks the year they hosted it.

My solution is to be at the gym at 7:oo AM on the nights Sikeston plays.

-- Posted by SHS59 on Sat, Oct 15, 2016, at 8:54 AM
  • Every two years we have these same discussions and every two years we are reminded of you people who are completely clueless to how the process works and it is funny.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Sat, Oct 15, 2016, at 9:00 AM
  • SHS59, I wouldnt call MSHSAA stupid. The schools involved voted on who hosts. Talk to the AD's. I agree Ste. Gen is small, but this was voted on by those involved, not MSHSAA.

-- Posted by semo ref on Sat, Oct 15, 2016, at 10:52 AM
  • Well at least from the video I see why I thought they only had seats on one side, they had the other side up. Glad that was cleared up thought I was totally losing it

-- Posted by TFA on Sat, Oct 15, 2016, at 12:26 PM
  • SHS59

One of the things that has been done in the past is each school is provided with a set number of tickets they may distribute. No idea if that will be done this year. But I remember one time many years ago when this was done for a basketball district and I know it was done when the state volleyball playoffs were held at Leopold a few years ago.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Oct 15, 2016, at 2:06 PM
  • Supposedly there is a conf call or email vote by all the coaches in a given district. The coaches vote determines the "winning" gym. I cant for the life of me figure out why the majority of the C4D1 coaches voted for Ste Gen?? It is the most northern school and easily one of the smallest seating capacities. I am flummoxed, maybe even bamboozled!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Oct 15, 2016, at 3:28 PM
  • I know Ciri, people griped about Cape's gym can you imagine everyone in this one?? If Dexter girls are playing and we play on same nights there will be no room. Crazy voters. I'd vote to have at Dexter but my vote doesn't count

-- Posted by TFA on Sat, Oct 15, 2016, at 4:54 PM
  • My understanding after talking to people who MIGHT know is, it came down to Cape and Ste. Gen., coach Holifield does not like to play at Cape he helped to make that happen. The 2018 site was Cape or Dexter the same thing happened.

I think that for a long time neither Sikeston or Cape will not host the tournament.

Dustin, I have never known this tournament to distribute tickets to each school and don't think that will happen now.

SEMO ref, the coaches vote on the site not the AD's and MSHSAA could do something about the host by requiring adequate seating capacity. Which would mean Sikeston and Dexter.

-- Posted by SHS59 on Sat, Oct 15, 2016, at 5:54 PM
  • https://www.mshsaa.org/resources/pdf/201516BBmanual.pdf

Page 15 has district basketball host and site selection process.

-- Posted by gianthook on Sat, Oct 15, 2016, at 6:43 PM
  • All I can say is St Gen is not going to know what hit them. Being new to this district they probably haven't seen support like Dexter girls and sikeston teams have. Cape is iffy you never know and I forgot all about Norte Dame. Should be interesting

-- Posted by TFA on Sat, Oct 15, 2016, at 6:52 PM
  • SHS59

The time it happened I think there were still just four classes and Dexter was a Class 3 team. It's been more than 10 years ago.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Oct 15, 2016, at 7:48 PM
  • The Show Me Center is probably the only facility big enough to host championship night of this district in Southeast Missouri.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Oct 15, 2016, at 7:56 PM
  • I guess in theory you could play the boys and girls final on a different night, but I don't know if that is allowed or not by MSHSAA.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Oct 15, 2016, at 8:05 PM
  • It's all funny because all of these "all knowing" Sikeston fans who have all the right answers are finding out that coach Holifield may very well have voted for St Gen to host as a matter of strategy.

ATF-haha. I guess St Gen will be honored to finally see real basketball fan support since sikeston boys an Dexter girls are in this district. Haha. You guys are hilarious.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Sat, Oct 15, 2016, at 8:25 PM
  • They should be honored and they won their district last year it's a shame that will be it for them.. oh I forgot we played them in Jackson last year guess they already know what we bring or was that our jv team that actually played them most of the game?? Just messing with you harry oz!

-- Posted by TFA on Sat, Oct 15, 2016, at 8:33 PM
  • Coach probably did vote for st gen green is a prettier color than orange to most

-- Posted by TFA on Sat, Oct 15, 2016, at 8:35 PM
  • BTU-haha. You think I care about St Gen or Sikestons jv or fried chicken? Please try to follow along for your benefit, hoss.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Sat, Oct 15, 2016, at 9:22 PM
  • Then why comment if you could care less and I can't believe you don't care for fried chicken geez you can't be human.

-- Posted by TFA on Sat, Oct 15, 2016, at 10:09 PM
  • Actually I don't even know why I'm commenting I probably won't even go. Guess cause I was bored

-- Posted by TFA on Sat, Oct 15, 2016, at 10:25 PM
  • The Athletic Directors vote for the district site. For this year Sikeston, Cape Central, and Ste.Gen put in to host the Tourn. Each of these teams would have voted for themselves which would have given the deciding votes to Dexter, ND, and Perryville.

-- Posted by SayitwithYourCHEST on Sat, Oct 15, 2016, at 11:14 PM
  • Ouch. Even worse. It appears the almighty Sikeston with the best facility in the Midwest just didn't receive enough votes?

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Sun, Oct 16, 2016, at 9:59 AM
  • I think Dexter has the best facility and I think a lot of people from sikeston thinks this

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Oct 16, 2016, at 11:48 AM
  • Poor ol' Sikeston and Dexter don't get home court advantage. SG only spent 2 yrs in District 2. Previous 10 yrs they had to drive 1.5 to 2 hrs for districts. Suck it up, ladies.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Mon, Oct 17, 2016, at 6:39 AM
  • We Dawg fans have no problem driving even farther to Farmington for the Elite 8 every year. Cuz Farmington actually has a facility to handle the 2-3k fans that travel. Distance is not the issue. Small gym is the issue.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Oct 17, 2016, at 11:22 AM
  • Looks like that just might be tough crap for the almighty Sikeston faithful. haha

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Mon, Oct 17, 2016, at 1:04 PM
  • Stupid is letting Bernie host districts next year. Visited that dump of a gym for the first time last week and thought good god, it's Zalma. It seats like 400.

-- Posted by gostlrams on Mon, Oct 17, 2016, at 2:32 PM
  • I think Norte Dame usually brings a big crowd also. We will just all squeeze into a gym and be very close. Please everyone shower and put on deodorant

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Oct 17, 2016, at 2:43 PM
  • I'm not going to do either so I will have lots of room!! 😂😂

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Oct 17, 2016, at 2:46 PM
  • Atta girl Mrs T!! Maybe by then Ozzy will learn how to deal with his insane jealousy of successful programs heehee!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Oct 17, 2016, at 4:29 PM

Class 3 District 2 is at Clearwater and it's going to be tough fitting people in there as well.

-- Posted by cker23 on Mon, Oct 17, 2016, at 10:47 PM
  • LOL Ciri. I'm not jealous of Sikestons awesome program. The word that I would use to describe how I feel about their basketball program is respect. ALL of my jealousy is directed some of you quacks who remind me of Bill

Clinton practicing law in Arkie. Oh wait, he's not allowed to do that anymore.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Tue, Oct 18, 2016, at 6:26 AM
  • So, is everyone forgetting this is the Basketball Manual? B-1

B. Specific Criteria for Basketball Districts

1. Seating capacity shall be adequate to accommodate anticipated attendance.

2. Adequate off-street parking available for the seating capacity of the facility is required.

3. The site facility(s) must be in compliance with the Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act as a place of

public accommodation is required.

4. Adequate concessions available for spectators is required.

5. Four team locker rooms and private dressing facilities for game officials are preferred

-- Posted by The Departed on Tue, Oct 18, 2016, at 10:22 AM
  • Well if Ste Gens seating capacity is 2-3k then im fine with it!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Oct 18, 2016, at 10:33 AM
  • Oz some of those fans are something else like Ciri there, he never follow through with bets so don't make any with him.

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Oct 18, 2016, at 12:43 PM
  • We've been driving to Ste. Gen for years for the wrestling districts and there's no way you can seat 2000-3000 people in it. It's a nice gym, but nowhere near as big as the Fieldhouse or the BEC.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Oct 18, 2016, at 1:47 PM
  • Crap, Preacher. You just ruined half of Sikeston's day. I can see it now. Ole Bottlerocket will be petitioning the state. Ciri and ATF will be his underwriters. LOL

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Tue, Oct 18, 2016, at 1:55 PM

Those who have time in their lives to get so worked up by such frivolities should simply plan accordingly. Show up early, get a seat, end of non-story.

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Tue, Oct 18, 2016, at 2:39 PM
  • I have friends in high places. I will get districts changed to the Fieldhouse. I will wash Mrs T's car if i dont gittr done. You can take that to the bank.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Oct 18, 2016, at 3:20 PM
  • Oz I already know the size of the gym, I've been there as stated. Also do you have dyslexia?? Cause my name isn't ATF. Unless you're trying to be rude and give me another name if so please clue me in. Also I may be from Sikeston but I never said a lot last year about the team, for certain reasons but this year I can say whatever I want and I'm one happy person about it.

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Oct 18, 2016, at 4:05 PM
  • Am I dyslexic? LOL Of course I am. That's why your little handle is the only thing I purposefully misspell there, Lassie.

Ciri-Maybe you can get some signs and bumper stickers circulated to help your cause? Maybe those old, cheap, air-conditioned hats with a real cool picture of the Fieldhouse?

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Tue, Oct 18, 2016, at 4:47 PM
  • Im on it👍

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Oct 18, 2016, at 6:19 PM
  • Gostlrams, did bernie have all of the bleachers on the stage pulled out or were the curtains closed?

-- Posted by yaeger on Wed, Oct 19, 2016, at 7:13 AM
  • Anyone have River Bend Classic schedule for next month?

-- Posted by uncommon_sense on Wed, Oct 19, 2016, at 9:25 AM
  • oz...as I always say...if you're giving me grief, you're giving someone else a break.

Sikeston fans would drive 5 hours to watch the Dogs in the playoffs. The drive time isn't the problem, the facility size is. I have no problem with St Gen hosting. I will be there in plenty of time to get a seat.

Regarding tickets....back in 2008 when Sikeston played ND in the finals at the Perryville Park and Rec Center (or whatever it's called), tickets were disbursed. It was a cluster.... I hope that isn't done again. Just get there early...

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Oct 19, 2016, at 2:43 PM
  • If adequate off street parking is 'required' to host a district tournament it would eliminate a LOT of schools including Sikeston. Poplar Bluff is going to host their district and I'm told the new gym will only hold 1500. That may be enough because of where some of the teams come from but it ain't gonna be enough for the P.B. Showdown or the the next time Twin Rivers plays here for the battle of Butler County. The old gym would hold well over 2000 with the end bleachers pulled out. The new gym has NO bleachers on the ends.

-- Posted by 3Rfan on Wed, Oct 19, 2016, at 9:36 PM
  • 3Rfan

Out of curiosity, is it possible the new college gym will hold more and they might use that for events such as the Poplar Bluff Showdown in the future? No idea what the new college facility will hold.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Oct 19, 2016, at 10:28 PM
  • 3Rfan, I'm not sure how you could get BETTER than Sikeston's parking. There are 10 parking lots all within 200 yards of the Field House. You have the Field House parking lot which alone is huge. A-office, H lot, tennis court lot, 5/6 grade center lot across the street. Matthews Elementary across the street. Sure, when 3,000 people show up it's tough to find a spot right in front of the door, but nobody that ever attends a game at the Field House will have to walk very far. Worst case senario you'd have to cross Ables road and walk a couple hundred yards. And if you do, a little exercise never hurt anybody.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Oct 20, 2016, at 10:16 AM
  • Those MSHSAA guidelines are there because it would be unprofessional to not have guidelines in place. All of us who spend every day in reality knows full well that the facility is a reflection of the geographical location, combined with demographics. The facilities in the bootheel, for example are a reflection of the population of the bootheel. Parking will always be an issue, regardless of where you play a district. Take Bloomfield's gym. They traditionally host a district and many years a sectional game. They have one of the better facilities in the bootheel at the small school level. It's definitely the most accommodating. However, the parking absolutely stinks. But so does the parking at every other small school venue in the entire area, north or south of Bloomfield.

Take the bigger schools. Dexter, Sikeston, Cape Central, Jackson, Bluff all have better parking options. They are bigger schools in bigger towns with more revenue and thus have better facilities. But they are not perfect. Fans have been turned away or forced to wait at places like Sikeston before because of crowds.

Bottom line. If you want to go watch a game badly enough, show up plenty early. You might have to park and walk a while. So what? It's not a drive through window service. We Americans are soft. It's the reason we are going to elect another idiot for President.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Thu, Oct 20, 2016, at 10:31 AM
  • ozzy you really think Trump is going to win?

-- Posted by heshootshescores on Thu, Oct 20, 2016, at 12:41 PM
  • Dustin the new event center at 3R is supposed to hold 3000. I can't imagine P.B. giving up homeport in their new gym when they get the chance to host. The event center should attract some HS post season games though.

-- Posted by 3Rfan on Thu, Oct 20, 2016, at 9:38 PM
  • Unfortunately our next President is going to be the ugly woman.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Thu, Oct 20, 2016, at 10:01 PM
  • Sorry to detract from this conversation, but looking at what will be happening on the court: Having the game at home will definitely help Bluff in breaking Jackson's streak of district titles this season. That on top of being very talented with Lucas, Leech, and Hardimon leading the Mules this year. A PB/Indian final would be a fun way to test the seating limits on their new gym. I haven't been there since about 2012 or so, so I'll be curious to see what's new

-- Posted by semo501 on Thu, Oct 20, 2016, at 11:48 PM

Speaking of gym's, Farmington's just about done building their new field house. While it definitely looks great and state of the art, it only holds 1,600 with most of the seating on one side. I can't understand why the larger class 4 and 5 schools are building gyms with so few seating. This is not a knock on their gym or anything. The floor layout is just different is all. Take a look...

http://dailyjournalonline.com/videos/did-you-know-fhs-field-house-facts/youtube_...

-- Posted by sbulldog4life on Fri, Oct 21, 2016, at 6:21 PM

sbulldog4life,Thanks for the link that virtual tour is quite impressive!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sat, Oct 22, 2016, at 10:27 AM
  • Sorry, ozzy, but you guys picked your GOP candidate. Hillary is the lesser of two evils. Not anybody's fault but your own. It would have close if your party would have picked anybody but Donald with all of Hillary's baggage.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Sat, Oct 22, 2016, at 9:03 PM

It would appear this thread has taken a turn for the worst

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Sat, Oct 22, 2016, at 9:39 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: