High School Basketball Forum: Saxony Lutheran dropped from Bloomfield Christmas Tournament Why?

Posted by sportsman23 on Mon, May 2, 2016, at 5:57 PM:

Can someone shed some light on this one for me ?

Replies (59)

• Probably looking for a tournament they can win

-- Posted by semofan1738 on Mon, May 2, 2016, at 7:53 PM

If true, I'd like to see Cville get in.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, May 2, 2016, at 8:20 PM
  • The post implies Saxony was "dropped" by Bloomfield. Which way was it; I would think if it were the team's decision, it would have read they "withdrew" from the tournament.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Mon, May 2, 2016, at 9:02 PM
  • I'd like to see Neelyville, Clarkton, Campbell or Senath added. But Neelyville is the only one of that group that doesn't already have its own tournament.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Tue, May 3, 2016, at 1:35 AM
  • Saxony was not invited back to this tournament and inquiring minds wood like to know why? Because there was no problem before of them playing when they were getting beat over the years. But now they could be a contender for the title they don't get asked back. Really ? To semofan1738 I don't understand the comment because I wasn't taking a shot at Saxony. Just wanted know why they weren't asked back, and if you think that team wasn't going to be a contender for winning this tournament then you really need to watch more basketball.

-- Posted by sportsman23 on Tue, May 3, 2016, at 8:12 AM
  • Maybe the tournament committee doesn't like the colors of their uniforms or the name of their mascot. Fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter. It's an invitation only tournament and they can do what ever they want.

-- Posted by BonScott on Tue, May 3, 2016, at 8:41 AM

I heard Saxony is looking to join the tourney at Valle Catholic.

-- Posted by cker23 on Tue, May 3, 2016, at 9:03 AM
  • Dustin those teams you listed are horrible, I figured that you would have said Gideon out of all those teams.

-- Posted by yaeger on Tue, May 3, 2016, at 9:26 AM
  • When were they removed from the tournament? Sounds odd for this to just not be being brought up, you would think they would have been informed a long while ago.

-- Posted by factchecker2016 on Tue, May 3, 2016, at 10:24 AM
  • If they go to Valle tourney, they will run away with it! IF they dropped out of the tourney, big mistake on their part, better competition down there.

-- Posted by Jackson2425 on Tue, May 3, 2016, at 10:42 AM
  • Valle Tournament needs more Jesus so they want to add another private school...

-- Posted by The_Lords_Hand on Tue, May 3, 2016, at 11:03 AM
  • We were dropped, we did not withraw.

-- Posted by Kdub102002 on Tue, May 3, 2016, at 11:06 AM
  • Withdraw....

-- Posted by Kdub102002 on Tue, May 3, 2016, at 11:07 AM
  • Saxony will be playing in the Carbondale Tournament

-- Posted by Kdub102002 on Tue, May 3, 2016, at 11:09 AM
  • Saxony should take Deltas place in The Show Me Center Christmas Tourney

-- Posted by semoballer1 on Tue, May 3, 2016, at 11:18 AM
  • Catholics don't believe in "Withdraw"

-- Posted by Coachken on Tue, May 3, 2016, at 11:37 AM
  • Then it's a good thing Saxony isn't a Catholic school...

-- Posted by BonScott on Tue, May 3, 2016, at 1:00 PM

I'm sure somebody has been whining about the private school Vs public school thing. I'm trying to recall; was Saxony the only private school in this event? Somebody saw what was coming and decided to avoid any future arguments right now!

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Tue, May 3, 2016, at 3:48 PM

I was told Gideon will be replacing Saxony in the Christmas Tournament.

-- Posted by gregbrown80 on Wed, May 4, 2016, at 4:42 PM
  • Saxony was the only travel team, I mean private school in the Bloomfield Christmas tournament...

-- Posted by BonScott on Wed, May 4, 2016, at 4:59 PM
  • Good one butthurt, i mean Bonscott.

-- Posted by baseball rocks on Wed, May 4, 2016, at 8:21 PM
  • Thank you!

-- Posted by BonScott on Wed, May 4, 2016, at 8:51 PM
  • You can't go from supporting a bunch of public schools in the area to playing the private vs. public card after only one year.

Pick a side and own up to it.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, May 5, 2016, at 12:07 AM
  • Saxony would have been the one seed this next year I believe. There is a waiting list to get into this tourney. Whoever is at the top of that list will slide in.

-- Posted by bball79 on Thu, May 5, 2016, at 2:31 AM
  • Catholics don't believe in "withdraw" - now that's funny, I don't care who you are!!!

I actually remember when birth control pill was considered a sin.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Thu, May 5, 2016, at 8:45 AM
  • I'm sure this happened because there were complaints about Saxony being a contender and potential #1 seed. Didn't Bloomfield drop Dexter from the tournament years ago when everyone knew that they were going to be really good and win several titles in a row?? Oh, wait. Dexter was asked to stay in it and that actually happened. Maybe there's more to the story than the fact that people were concerned about Saxony being a contender.

-- Posted by Popcorn Genius on Thu, May 5, 2016, at 10:13 AM
  • It is either a coincidence in timing that they have now gotten to be good and the other teams don't like that, or something happened. I was able to watch the first day and the third day, and I never saw any hint of something that would cause a tournament to drop a team. But I also do not know all the facts, and I highly doubt that anyone on here (with the exception of maybe KDUB) does, so maybe someone in the know could help everyone understand.

-- Posted by factchecker2016 on Thu, May 5, 2016, at 10:41 AM
  • Dexter has been in the tournament from the beginning. They were never going to be dropped...It doesn't really matter what the reason is. It's an invitation only tournament and the committee doesn't owe anyone an explanation, especially the people on semoball.

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, May 5, 2016, at 10:49 AM
  • Bon, that was my point. It isn't likely that Saxony was dropped because they were becoming good as some folks have mentioned. That's why I used the Dexter example since they went on that run. Dexter being dropped was a joke.....I hope you, Jimi Hendrix, and John Bonham have let Prince in on some of those jam sessions you guys are having on that highway down there. He can play any instrument you know.

-- Posted by Popcorn Genius on Thu, May 5, 2016, at 11:05 AM
  • Dexter a public school. Saxony is not.

People like private schools when they can beat them. When they start winning you get dropped from tournaments. The tournament commitee gave a reason, drop good teams better chance a weaker team can win.

-- Posted by baseball rocks on Thu, May 5, 2016, at 11:27 AM
  • -- Posted by baseball rocks on Thu, May 5, 2016, at 11:27 AM

That is not the reason...

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, May 5, 2016, at 11:53 AM
  • Wow!!! That was amazing Bonscott let me try that logic.

Wait for it! Wait for it!

That is the reason!

-- Posted by baseball rocks on Thu, May 5, 2016, at 12:18 PM
  • Could be a number of reasons really. Could be they didn't bring enough gate, maybe their fans were gigantic buttholes (see above) or it could be that whoever makes those decisions just decided that they wanted someone else in the tournament. Whatever. It's their tournament and they can do what they want.

-- Posted by robbincrosby on Thu, May 5, 2016, at 12:51 PM
  • Not a fan of saxony basketball. Just giving my thoughts on why they could have been dropped. Or maybe the tournament people are giant buttholes(see above) and felt like doing it for the reason givin.

-- Posted by baseball rocks on Thu, May 5, 2016, at 1:08 PM
  • That's the great thing about running your own tournament. You can do as you please and don't have to explain. Who knows? Maybe they did explain.

This past season was the first year Saxony has been a legit threat to challenge in this tournament. I see where Saxony got in a tournament at Carbondale. Chances are that tournament will provide some really good competition that will prepare Saxony for the end of the season.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Thu, May 5, 2016, at 1:15 PM
  • -- Posted by baseball rocks on Thu, May 5, 2016, at 12:18 PM

That's still not the reason...

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, May 5, 2016, at 1:28 PM
  • That is the reason...

-- Posted by baseball rocks on Thu, May 5, 2016, at 1:41 PM
  • Bloomfield is out the expense, manpower, etc. of putting on the tournament. They can have whoever they want in it and don't have to explain why to anyone.

-- Posted by DexterResident1976 on Thu, May 5, 2016, at 2:03 PM

I would think that the public vs Private argument is probably closer to being right.It hasn't been an issue because Saxony hasn't been able to build a contender through transfers before now they are are! Indian Pride very well done that post is amazing and very accurate it seems that there is one thing that i have learned from your post. Indian Pride runs through your veins!

-- Posted by porchswing on Thu, May 5, 2016, at 2:40 PM
  • That is the reason...

-- Posted by baseball rocks on Thu, May 5, 2016, at 1:41 PM

Lol...I must be confused. So you're telling us Saxony is not being invited back because they "MIGHT" be the best team in the tournament?

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, May 5, 2016, at 4:10 PM
  • There is no doubt about that porchswing!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, May 5, 2016, at 7:34 PM

Wait, there's a Christmas tournament in Bloomfield?

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Thu, May 5, 2016, at 7:54 PM
  • I can assure you, there has never been any love lost among Bloomfield, Dexter, Bernie, etc., and that if a team being favored to win the tournament would be dropped for that reason, they would never have allowed Dexter to remain in the tournament to win the championship "7" consecutive years!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Thu, May 5, 2016, at 8:32 PM
  • Oh and thank you porchswing! I appreciate your comments! !

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, May 5, 2016, at 8:35 PM
  • Whatever the reason, the first shot in a feud has been heard around SEMO area. Guessing Saxony won't forget the slight. I wouldn't like it either, especially after playing the role of fodder for better teams for several years. To suddenly drop them because the might have a chance to win it is bush league. Do they meet in regular season, in another tournament together, or post season? That would be interesting to say the least.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Fri, May 6, 2016, at 8:51 AM
  • Bogey Man you are right on point! I doubt Bloomfield will have Saxony on their schedule anytime soon. Maybe after Saxony has a few down years they'll be invited back! lol

-- Posted by Deuce43 on Fri, May 6, 2016, at 9:27 AM
  • First shot in the "feud"? LOL What is this? You guys are funny. It's Bloomfield's tournament. Very simple concept. They don't have to worry about your opinions. As if anyone on here actually knows why they were dropped? I'm sure Bloomfield's officals informed Saxony as to why. And if they didn't, so be it. They don't really have to if they don't want to.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Fri, May 6, 2016, at 9:39 AM
  • I am going to weigh in on the public vs. private debate because I have had kids in both types of schools. I am also a proud alumnus and supporter of Jackson High.

1. Porchswing- I disagree with you that Saxony is building a contender through transfers. Only 1 starter this year was a transfer. Saxony has a 6th man / part-time starter who is also a transfer, but he didn't even play basketball at his former school. There are also 2 transfers on the JV that received very limited playing time on their public school freshman team. So I don't think Saxony is robbing anyone's cupboard.

2. Jackson has 3 players on their Varsity roster and 3 on their JV roster that attended St. Paul Lutheran. Plus 2 on the JV that went to I.C. Does that mean Jackson is building a program from transfers?! Of course not.

3. The fact is that kids and their families in the Cape/Jackson area have a choice of schools and some will pick public and some will pick private.

-- Posted by Deuce43 on Fri, May 6, 2016, at 9:54 AM
  • Also- Saxony is a growing school and there many non-athlete transfers enrolling every year.

So don't be hatin' if the Saxony Scholar Bowl Team whoops your school! LOL

-- Posted by Deuce43 on Fri, May 6, 2016, at 10:15 AM
  • Deuce-Regarding the comment about transfers to Saxony from school where they either did not play or played very little.

Take the two varsity kids that transferred:

1-If they came from a "big" school like Cape Central or Jackson that statement can be misleading. A kid can be walking the halls at a class 5 school or even at the end of the bench and still have more than enough talent and ability to make an impact at a class 3 school. We see it at Scott Central a lot. Kids are at the end of the bench or don't play at Sikeston but are bigger contributors at the Class 1 level.

2-I do agree with you in that it's the choice of the family. And they have that right. Just as Bloomfield has the right to deny who they want playing in their tournament.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Fri, May 6, 2016, at 10:37 AM

Deuce43,I think those 4 transfers you mentioned are helping Saxony's program i think you do to lol! I totally understand it is the model others will probably start using as well if they want to compete! Saxony has figured it out more power to them! As for the shot at me with the Scholar Bowl comment you would have know chance there my daughter scored a 32 on her act lol!

-- Posted by porchswing on Fri, May 6, 2016, at 11:05 AM
  • It Saxony is improving so much, then maybe going to a stronger tournament is in their best interest anyways.

-- Posted by Bearcat Fan on Fri, May 6, 2016, at 11:15 AM
  • Recruiting kids to high schools for athletic purposes is bush league...And it's sad that people consider that the "norm" these days.

-- Posted by BonScott on Fri, May 6, 2016, at 11:29 AM
  • Ozzy- you are exactly right. Jackson has 800 boys to choose from to fill 12 roster spots. Lots of kids get left out. So if a kid has the opportunity to enroll at a good school and be a contributing member a team, who can blame them? It is all about opportunity to me.

Porch- I am going to start a Scholar Bowl thread so we can talk smack on there!!! lol

btw- 32 is a super awesome score. Has she picked out a college yet?

BonScott- I can absolutely, 100% guarantee you that there is no recruiting going on. It is all about opportunity for the kids (see above).

-- Posted by Deuce43 on Fri, May 6, 2016, at 12:11 PM
  • Deuce, I'm sorry, but I'm calling BS on that one. What opportunity?

-- Posted by BonScott on Fri, May 6, 2016, at 12:15 PM
  • It doesn't matter how many kids get "left" out at a bigger school. That doesn't make it okay to recruit(if that is actually happening) kids to smaller schools.

I personally believe that very little recruiting goes on in coaching circles. I think the recruiting(if that is what you want to call it) occurs from other adults, parents who are friends with other kids parents, etc. I'm not sure that even qualifies as recruiting. But that doesn't mean the move isn't for athletic reasons. Many people believe that if no recruiting takes place, that everything is okay. Not true IF it can be proven that the move was made for ATHLETIC REASONS.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Fri, May 6, 2016, at 1:16 PM
  • What ever happened to the days of kids wanting to play on a team with their buddies that they've grown up with since elementary school?...Apparently that is a crazy concept now.

-- Posted by BonScott on Fri, May 6, 2016, at 1:40 PM
  • Ozzy-

Kids leave the Lutheran and Catholic schools in the area all the time because they want to play football. Is that considered recruiting?

I'm not trying to stir the pot, but just curious if you think that would be a MSHAA violation.

Bottom line is I don't think most families choose a school solely for athletic reasons. Maybe I am na*ve. I think public schools have more resources and greater variety of activities and course offerings, etc... Private school usually have a smaller, closer-knit and religious environment. It's all about what is the best fit for the kid and athletics could be one of the factors.

-- Posted by Deuce43 on Fri, May 6, 2016, at 1:41 PM
  • State rules allow any kid to transfer schools for any reason as long as the kid transfers when they are either entering their 7th or 9th grade year. So I would think that would answer your question.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Fri, May 6, 2016, at 7:05 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: