High School Basketball Forum: New HS varsity Basketball Tournament.

Posted by Rebel41 on Mon, Apr 4, 2016, at 9:27 PM:

Looking for 1A or 2A teams for High School Basketball Tournament next year at Southland High School. Dates Dec. 5,6,7,8th. If interested please contact me at 573-654-3574 or dkellums@southland.k12.mo.us. We have 3 teams currently. Looking for 6 to 8. Thanks. Coach Kellums.

Replies (12)

• Class 1 or 2; no more 1A or 2A, etc.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Mon, Apr 4, 2016, at 10:17 PM
  • how many other states use "class" before the number instead of simply adding an "A" after. Missouri is only 1 i know

Kelly was 2A when I was in school now their "class 3"

Lame.

-- Posted by hawkeye1985 on Mon, Apr 4, 2016, at 11:24 PM
  • Can n e one explain why this changed other than mshsaa being a buncha yankees with pinkies and chins n the air. (Joking but kinda the truth)

-- Posted by hawkeye1985 on Mon, Apr 4, 2016, at 11:27 PM
  • There's no point in using "A," unless you had multiple classes; I think at one time Arkansas used class distinctions such as "1A-2A-3A, etc., and Class B."

-- Posted by semo7178 on Tue, Apr 5, 2016, at 8:47 AM
  • This is a very important matter that should be addressed in all seriousness.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Tue, Apr 5, 2016, at 8:57 AM

I know several states used to, and some still do, use the classification without the number like A, AA, AAA, and so forth. So some states shorted it down to 3A, representing three A's. So I think that is why the number is on there, where yes it would make sense not to use them unless you were using other letters. But I think the letter came before the number. I don't know what the significance of the letter "A" is though, or why they ever started using things like AAAA. Maybe to signify and an "athletic" classification?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Apr 5, 2016, at 9:03 AM
  • why do you park in a drive way and why is the foul pole fair?

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Tue, Apr 5, 2016, at 9:27 AM
  • There are no longer A's used because the entire purpose of the A had to do with the fact that many, many moons ago there were A (Varsity) and B (Junior Varsity) state tournaments.

There are no longer two separate series, so the A was useless.

It has been the Class system for over 15 years now.

-- Posted by Tiger92 on Tue, Apr 5, 2016, at 10:15 AM
  • I just think its funny how ppl get so offended and upset by it. Lots of ppl say "aint" but I dont get fired up and quickly say "aint has been replaced by is not several years ago get w/ the program."

just dont see the importance of using "class" instead of using the simple "A"

a guy I work w/ from illinois asked me what my hs was and I said "3A". he asked another guy what his was and he said "class 5". immediately, it just seemed awkward and out of place. I still dont know of another state that doesnt use a letterin the abbreviation. to my knowledge mo is only "class" state. dont make ppl feel like there behind when they say a when your the only ones saying class.

semo and joefrank, et al ...sorry to keep u all from sleeping over this

-- Posted by hawkeye1985 on Tue, Apr 5, 2016, at 10:36 AM
  • Wow I just trying to get some teams for a tournament. Lol

-- Posted by Rebel41 on Tue, Apr 5, 2016, at 8:58 PM
  • There is no discussion. It's Class 1, Class 2 and so on. Check the MSHSAA website and all their Final 4 programs. It's simply our duty as American citizens to educate our fellow citizens for the betterment of society. One more thing, can anyone help Rebel41 gets some teams for his tourney next season?

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Tue, Apr 5, 2016, at 10:07 PM
  • Sorry you're not having much luck on here, Coach. Have you tried posting on MoSports: https://mosports.n.rivals.com/ - you may have better luck there.

-- Posted by The Legend on Wed, Apr 6, 2016, at 3:07 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: