High School Baseball Forum: Valle Warriors

Posted by Bearcat Fan on Wed, Jun 3, 2015, at 8:19 AM:

Good luck to Coach Gegg and the Valle Warriors today and tomorrow at the Final Four.

Replies (62)

• Valle Catholic (28-5) meets West Platte (19-5) in the Class 2 State Baseball Tournament Semifinals today scheduled for 4:30. You can listen to the game LIVE starting with pre-game show around 4:10 on Prepcasts Ste. Genevieve.

http://www.prepcastsstegen.info/ MOBILE: http://m.prepcasts.ezstream.com/

-- Posted by Prepcasts Ste. Genevieve on Wed, Jun 3, 2015, at 8:48 AM
  • Really sad what has happened to state tournament

competitiveness.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Wed, Jun 3, 2015, at 9:35 PM
  • The only think I'm going to say is I predicted a New Bloomfield-Valle Catholic state championship when the Round of 16 was set.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Jun 4, 2015, at 1:38 AM
  • So what would be the solution for the state baseball finals? As long as districts/sectionals are held based on regions, then you cannot do much about it. The only solution would be to rank teams at the end of the season and have playoffs set on their rankings. This would be very political, much like college football. Also, most teams only play other teams fairly close to them, which is logical. I think you are overlooking some of the close games such as Scott City/Fatima (3-2) and Bell City/Atlanta (6-3 in 8 innings). For Valle Catholic, most likely the state championship was when they beat Bernie 3-2. Also, Notre Dame is not undefeated on the season, as they have 5 losses. I believe someone was talking about Notre Dame in state finals of basketball, that they had no competition, then they lost the next game to Hillcrest in the semi-finals and finished 3rd.

-- Posted by Mr. Baseball on Thu, Jun 4, 2015, at 10:01 AM
  • Also, Valle barely won their district with a 1-0 win over Crystal City this year. This tells us that some areas of the state are weak in baseball, but many good teams unfortunately do not make it to state because of location. By the way, Crystal City had 11 wins and 10 losses on the year.

Hillcrest in basketball was 18 wins and 10 or 12 losses when they beat Cape Notre Dame in the state semi-finals.

-- Posted by Mr. Baseball on Thu, Jun 4, 2015, at 10:07 AM
  • Championship game moved to 6:00

-- Posted by semo7178 on Thu, Jun 4, 2015, at 3:53 PM
  • Get private schools out of class 1 and 2 at least. They don't belong there and public schools want them there.

-- Posted by badfinger on Thu, Jun 4, 2015, at 9:49 PM
  • Can't beat them so complain about them. Makes sense.

Ste. Gen, Perryville, Farmington didn't have a problem beating them. Don't see them complaining.

-- Posted by Squeak on Thu, Jun 4, 2015, at 11:03 PM
  • Ok, let's look go to the numbers. Besides Valle, there are 9 other private schools in Class 1-2 with baseball programs. Those 9 had combined spring records of 99-76, not bad. However, each of them lost within their district - meaning none of those 9 even made it to the playoff bracket. Not to mention, they lost by a combined score of 21-77, rather resounding losses I'd say. So out of 32 playoff teams in Class 1-2, Valle was the lone private representative.

With such valid exclamations, you should consider running for office stinkyfinger.

-- Posted by Simpleminds on Fri, Jun 5, 2015, at 8:47 AM
  • I will say though, its something to be proud of that such great programs and baseball exists within the southeast region. The talk between many fans at the Final Four was that Bernie, Cooter, East Carter, and Greenville - any combination of those teams, and Valle, would've comprised about as tough of a Final Four as you could get. You take any 4 of those 5, and whoever would've come out on top would've gotten their money's worth in that tournament.

Congrats to Coach Gegg and his boys, another well-deserved shining moment. Way to work for it gentlemen!!!

-- Posted by Simpleminds on Fri, Jun 5, 2015, at 9:01 AM
  • Class 2 Valle Catholic wins Semi Final 11-1 and Final 7-1.

Class 4 Notre Dame Catholic wins Semi Final 13-3.

Who on Earth can believe Private Schools continue to Win like this....

Truly Amazing...

-- Posted by UFO on Fri, Jun 5, 2015, at 2:58 PM
  • Not only did Valle win state this year but they made history. Only team ever to get 2 state championships in 2 sports 2 years in a row. Football and baseball last year and this year. Not sure everyone realizes how hard that is to do since it has never been done before. So instead of criticizing this team of great athletes I would think people would be on here congratulating them. Very hard work and dedication and coaches that go that extra mile to make these young men into the athletes they are today. I congratulate them!

-- Posted by cruzin on Fri, Jun 5, 2015, at 3:04 PM
  • While the Privates bring back their Annual State Recruitment Trophies.

The real story is little Public, Bell City, winning their 1st Baseball Title in School history.

Great Job, Bell City!

-- Posted by UFO on Fri, Jun 5, 2015, at 3:12 PM
  • Prayers are going out to you UFO. Sounds like you could use them.

-- Posted by Simpleminds on Fri, Jun 5, 2015, at 3:18 PM
  • Private Schools Setting Records. No Way. Surely Not.

Helias Catholic Wrestling

John Burroughs Football

CBC, St. Louis U, Desmet etc. Soccer

Cardinal Ritter, Incarnate Word Academy Basketball

Etc. Etc. Etc.......

-- Posted by UFO on Fri, Jun 5, 2015, at 3:39 PM
  • UFO you must be a very bitter person.Great athletes are everywhere. Its what they do with their talent and the coaching they receive that makes them stand out. Valle I think this year had maybe 30 kids in their graduating class, yet with the multiplier they are Class 2. Name one kid there that was recruited. Their parents and grandparents have lived in that town and went to the Catholic school years before them. I am going with Simpleminds and saying a prayer or maybe 2 for you..

-- Posted by cruzin on Fri, Jun 5, 2015, at 3:47 PM
  • My son plays for Bernie and if Valle recruited the team we played then they are not good at recruiting and I'm not disrespecting them at all! I think Valle has a program and kids get use to winning and I tip my hat to them! To be the best you have to beat the best!

-- Posted by Eagle97 on Fri, Jun 5, 2015, at 3:57 PM
  • Eagle97, no disrespect taken. And I mean no disrespect to Norwood, New Bloomfield, and West Platte when I say that I wish your Mules (and East Carter, Cooter, and Greenville) could've experienced the Final Four this year - they all definitely had the teams to be there.

-- Posted by Simpleminds on Fri, Jun 5, 2015, at 4:17 PM
  • UFO, you forgot Barstow, Class 3 basketballand golf champs.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Fri, Jun 5, 2015, at 6:40 PM
  • My bad,

Barstow (basketball & golf)

Saxony Lutheran's also coming around in girls (basketball and soccer)

Believe these schools also believe they work harder than everybody else....

Nobody ever says we: "We win because we draw kids from every Lutheran and/ or Catholic middle school within our part of the State."

"In addition, many of our athletes, coming from multiple school districts, have competed on the same Select Teams since Grade School."

-- Posted by UFO on Fri, Jun 5, 2015, at 7:13 PM
  • Thing is, I really no nothing about Valle.

However, Notre Dame draws athletes from every school district within a 60 mile radius of Cape, including kids from Illinois.

I predict Notre Dame not only wins Class 4 State, but wins by 10 plus runs.....

-- Posted by UFO on Fri, Jun 5, 2015, at 7:21 PM
  • They've already beaten Sullivan 16 to 0 earlier this year. Won't even be close.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Fri, Jun 5, 2015, at 9:31 PM
  • UFO

Where was the ranting in spring softball?Didnt see a private school there!Your school finished 2nd at STATE in baseball this year.Lost to another public school.Didnt see you on here telling them they had a great year.Which they did.

Oh by the way you never answered my question.Can you sit there and say your school doesn't recruit athletes?

Why not give all schools the credit they deserve?

Scott City,Bell City,Valle and ND all had great years.Dont be bitter.Be proud of the showing this area had in baseball

-- Posted by Parentsruinsports on Fri, Jun 5, 2015, at 10:31 PM
  • I agree many of these kids play on select teams. That is open to any athlete,public or private school. And many kids benefit greatly from these "select teams". But I don't think anyone said private schools work harder. Its the athlete, private or public school, that wins games. Hard work is there for anyone who accepts it. And Valle played Cape Notre Dame earlier and lost 2-0 I think to them. Whether Cape recruits I have no idea. I am familiar with Valle and it just gets so old for people to take away all their accomplishments by saying they recruit. Valle stacked their schedule playing 3A and 4A schools this year to play the better teams.Cape Notre Dame was the better team when they played them and then won. Good luck to them and hope they win it all!

-- Posted by cruzin on Fri, Jun 5, 2015, at 10:57 PM
  • What If the private schools were no good? A lot can happen in 10 years or so. The schools that the private schools demolish could demolish the private schools in the years and trust me I've seen many programs change in a matter of a year even if they can recruit. Also what If it was your schools program? Don't discredit a good team just because your school can't hang with them

-- Posted by Champ12 on Sat, Jun 6, 2015, at 12:51 AM
  • First of all, my opinion is that Valle is a "unique" example in which benefitting from athletes outside normal district lines does "not" occur. But Notre Dame benefits by athletes from Sikeston, Jackson, Scott City, Chaffee, Cape Girardeau, etc. having the choice to attend there. "Recruitment" doesn't have to come into the picture. I personally observed a parent approach a member of the Notre Dame staff during the district tournament a few years ago, and announced they were going to send their son to ND the next year. As I stated, many of the claims of "recruitment" by ND are unfounded, and in many instances, unnecessary. That being said, to hang onto the claim most private schools don't have a clear advantage is ludicrous.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Sat, Jun 6, 2015, at 11:28 AM
  • Add Saxony Lutheran to the list of State Champions. They won the Class 1 State Soccer Championship by the score of 5-0. Congratulations, Lady Crusaders!!

-- Posted by countryfolks on Sat, Jun 6, 2015, at 4:38 PM
  • Surprise Surprise, Notre Dame wins State 17-0.

Sure no one saw this coming ......

-- Posted by UFO on Sat, Jun 6, 2015, at 4:41 PM
  • Again UFO answer the question posed to you!

Your avoidance of the question shows u know the truth and are talking out both sides of ur mouth.

-- Posted by Parentsruinsports on Sat, Jun 6, 2015, at 4:49 PM
  • Poor UFO! I don't know how old you are, but maybe you, your kids, or grandkids should transfer to a private school. Then you could actually be happy that Southeast Missouri is well-represented among the State's Champions instead of criticizing the kids who worked so hard for this achievement.

-- Posted by countryfolks on Sat, Jun 6, 2015, at 4:59 PM
  • You guys beat the private school talk to death. UFO, Cape didn't pick their opponent. I'm quite certain Sullivan wasn't even the second best team in the state But they have a good coaching staff and got hot at the right time. A good coaching staff gets the best out of their players. I'm from Festus and nobody complains about private schools. Ever. If they do, then I don't hear it.

-- Posted by Observer24 on Thu, Jun 11, 2015, at 4:06 AM
  • 24, I bet if you listen close enough you might hear someone complain about St. Pius

-- Posted by heshootshescores on Thu, Jun 11, 2015, at 10:30 PM
  • Doubtful, St Pius only occasionally has a winning team other than volleyball and soccer. St. Pius could turn into a jaugernaut someday as the only Catholic high school in Jefferson County. St. Pius is a good example of how important tradition is to attracting athletes. Without a strong tradition of winning in boys' sports, not many elite athletes are choosing to attend St. Pius. I do give them credit for not taking advantage of the rules and actively recruiting athletes.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Fri, Jun 12, 2015, at 6:15 AM
  • 830 public schools and 188 private, thats 83% of the schools in MO are public yet private won 3 out of 4 state titles. Fair to pubic kids really?? Greenville and EastCarter had the best teams the ever had and then have to play Valle.

Only close games at state were public school games 3-2 in extra innings and 6-3

Private vs public games 17-5, 17-0, 7-1

The system is a joke and so are the people who defend it. So Im ready to hear all you valle and ND grads chime in because there is no defending the failure of MSHSAA.

-- Posted by clearwaterfan on Mon, Jun 15, 2015, at 9:26 PM
  • Actually private schools won 3 out of 5 titles, not 3 out of 4 like you mentioned.

You can skew the numbers however you'd like, for instance: of the 16 district winners in each class private schools won:

0/16, 1/16, 3/16, 1/16, 2/16 (7/80 or 8.8%)

You could do quarterfinalists in each class:

0/8, 1/8, 2/8, 1/8, 1/8 (5/40 or 12.5%)

Final Four Private Schools

0/4, 1/4, 1/4, 1/4, 1/4 (4/20 or 20%)

You always could and always can work with the numbers to make your case. I just did for nothing to happen.

-- Posted by MU_Tigers on Tue, Jun 16, 2015, at 7:24 AM
  • And didn't East Carter and Greenville get IMPACT transfers this year? Don't know both cases, but one involves a pretty far move and a summer baseball team.

-- Posted by MU_Tigers on Tue, Jun 16, 2015, at 7:26 AM
  • UFO/Clearwater fan

You all do a great job of showing stats u want to try make your point for your honest,never recruited a kid or had transfers in for sports.

Let's look at other sports u failed to show

Spring Softball-Public school champ

Fall Softball 4of 4 STATE CHAMPS-PUBLIC

Football 4of 6 Winners PUBLIC

Boys Soccer-4 of 4 Winners PUBLIC

Volleyball-3of 4 winners PUBLIC

Boys basketball-5of 5 winners. PUBLIC

Girls basketball 4of 5 winners PUBLIC

What do u say about those numbers???

-- Posted by Parentsruinsports on Tue, Jun 16, 2015, at 7:44 AM
  • On any statistical analysis, a small sample size is not enough to make valid conclusions. If you do a multiple year analysis, you can draw more accurate conclusions. You also have to consider that there are very few private schools in Class 1 & 2 in most sports. And you can draw more conclusions if you consider not only who won a state championship, but also who made the Final Four, who won districts, sectionals, and quarterfinals. Then you have to consider magnet schools, which draw students from several different public schools, school districts with several high schools and have open enrollment allowing students to pick their school (Springfield),and now we can add failing school districts that have students attending high school out of their district.

Statistics can be manipulated. Even Parentsruinsports conveniently left out Boys Volleyball and Girls Soccer.

This topic has been beat to death on here. One side will never convince the other side if there is an advantage or not.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Tue, Jun 16, 2015, at 11:18 AM
  • Boys Volleyball is not a MSHSAA sanctioned sport.And yes I did overlook soccer for girls but I am not afraid to put it in writing.

Private win 4 out if 4

-- Posted by Parentsruinsports on Tue, Jun 16, 2015, at 11:34 AM
  • Speaking of not a sanctioned MSHSAA sport, give it time and I'm sure the rural private/parish schools will be accused of recruiting bass fishermen and skeet shooters in Missouri as well.

That'll really **** off all of semoball region wouldn't it? HA

-- Posted by Simpleminds on Tue, Jun 16, 2015, at 11:59 AM
  • Come on, we know private school kids just fish harder.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Tue, Jun 16, 2015, at 12:10 PM
  • How to be successful in high school sports public or private.

Be involved w your kid. Practice w your kid. Form teams w kids that are most likely gonna go to the same school. Support that team. Put your kid in clubs as they progress.

Warning. It's not cheap, but your chances of winning in high school increase dramatically. Count the club kids on a HS team and you will see the more they have the more they win.

It all starts w the parents and ends in successful HS days. If you are on a winning team--most likely you owe it to a parent who volunteered time and money when they were young. Thanks to all that have done this

-- Posted by Wooo wooo wooooo! on Tue, Jun 16, 2015, at 1:24 PM
  • SayWhat or you could just recruit!!!

-- Posted by blue recruiter on Tue, Jun 16, 2015, at 2:06 PM
  • Private DID win 3 out of 4. They cannot compete in class 1. At least MSHSAA helped the little guys.

-- Posted by clearwaterfan on Tue, Jun 16, 2015, at 4:10 PM
  • Was at a baseball tourney a couple years back that St Gen high school was playing in. Asked the coach after the game about Valle. He replied" I can tell you anything you need to know because they all played for me here until they became freshman and left to play for Valle". That is what is wrong with the system. Sorry, college starts early for ND and Valle because you get recruited, pay tuition(some probably don't that are exceptional players)and win state titles.

-- Posted by clearwaterfan on Tue, Jun 16, 2015, at 4:26 PM
  • Valle lost to ND 2-1 in the regular season. That would have made a great state title game between privates, or ND could just win 17-0 in 5 innings in the champ game. That had to be so exciting!!

-- Posted by clearwaterfan on Tue, Jun 16, 2015, at 4:34 PM
  • Blue Recruiter. Or be Involved. But it's a sacrifice. And the problem w sacrifice is it's never something you want to give up. So for you--keep excusing your loosing ways to recruiting.

-- Posted by Wooo wooo wooooo! on Tue, Jun 16, 2015, at 4:45 PM
  • clearwaterfan do you wanna see the kindergarten picture of 6/7 seniors that played in the state championship game for Valle? Yes, they still went to valle at this age.

-- Posted by bballse on Tue, Jun 16, 2015, at 4:49 PM
  • Clearwater. Your story is muddy in my opinion. How many were Catholic or had parents or siblings that went to Valle. Did you happen to ask. I think that is important don't u. Parents choose schools based off a lot of things other than sports.

-- Posted by Wooo wooo wooooo! on Tue, Jun 16, 2015, at 5:01 PM
  • I can assure you no mud in the story. Exactly what was said. Didn't ask questions what parents went where. Bottom line private should play private in district play and beyond. Hence the name PRIVATE (meaning only certain people are allowed) VS and PUBLIC. Like the old saying goes you cant win a horse race with a mule, Privates always get the horses!!

-- Posted by clearwaterfan on Tue, Jun 16, 2015, at 5:24 PM
  • That's a funny story right there. You do have one part right. The coaches at Ste. Gen did coach ONE group of kids in travel ball from age 8-14. So he did know that team well. The problem with your story is that most of that team went to Valle in grade school and stayed there. The others went to Ste. Gen for grade school and they stayed there. There's really never kids that went to Ste. Gen and then move to Valle for high school. You're uninformed and then misinterpreted a story.

-- Posted by MU_Tigers on Tue, Jun 16, 2015, at 6:22 PM
  • Clearwater fan

If u r stating Private won 3of 4 girls soccer then which school was the public school that won?

-- Posted by Parentsruinsports on Tue, Jun 16, 2015, at 7:42 PM
  • No now, clearwaterfan is right about one thing, all us private school alums are studs.......while he's nothing but a good ole Missouri a$$. Straight out of his own mouth. Well said cwfan.

-- Posted by Simpleminds on Tue, Jun 16, 2015, at 8:06 PM
  • This has certainly taken an ugly turn.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Tue, Jun 16, 2015, at 8:38 PM
  • Bogey is right, if St. Pius is recruiting then they are doing a poor job. It hurt them slightly when Jefferson R-7 built a high school. Pius could pull from Herculaneum, Festus, crystal city, R-7, Hillsboro, Desoto and still be within driving distance. Jefferson county has a population over 200k people. If they start recruiting they could very well be one of the best private schools for athletics in the state

-- Posted by Observer24 on Wed, Jun 17, 2015, at 3:35 AM
  • Prime example would be to look at the talent that the Festus American Legion baseball team has churned out over the years. The talent in southern Jeffco is obviously there.

-- Posted by Observer24 on Wed, Jun 17, 2015, at 3:43 AM
  • Saywhat I was being sarcastic. I am a Valle fan and find it amusing that Clearwaterfan or anyone for that matter says Valle recruits. People are jealous of the success that the kids and coaches have so they have to make crap up. Im sure Clearwater fan is tired of losing. Its ok, it builds character.....or jealousy in his/her case.

-- Posted by blue recruiter on Wed, Jun 17, 2015, at 7:53 AM
  • MU tiger you are wrong when you say the kids don't switch schools in high school because they do. Most of the time they do before their freshman year, but it also happens after that. One should be careful when they say never!

-- Posted by heshootshescores on Wed, Jun 17, 2015, at 11:10 AM
  • It really doesn't matter. People will believe what they want to believe.

For every Liberal, there's a Conservative; for every pro-life, there's a pro-choice; for every Christian, there's a Muslim; for every 100 likes, there's 10 dislikes; for every Cards fan, there's a Cubs fan; for every blue and black dress, there's a white and gold dress; for every black lives matter, there's a police lives matter too, and for every 10 public schools, there'll always be a private school. So learn to accept the fact that not everyone sees things exactly the way you do.......and that's ok. The world (hopefully) won't end because of it.

Here's a true story for ya cwfan: Miller Cardinal football fans have never been big on Valle football or private schools, for that matter, either. One yr, while playing at Valle in a playoff game, a couple Miller fans asked a couple Valle fans (and SG public graduates btw) if this whole recruiting thing was really true. The 2 guys told them, "see those apartment buildings down there below the football field, that's where they house the recruits and their families from out of town." The Miller fans bought it all......hook, line, and sinker. How often you think that story was retold in the Springfield area or even on some sports forum somewhere? HA

-- Posted by Simpleminds on Wed, Jun 17, 2015, at 1:25 PM
  • Ok, yea this did take a wrong turn and it is my fault for bringing up the recruiting thing. Parents enroll their kids there because they know that's where the they have the best chance for success in athletics and also because of the lack of discipline in public schools today. Cant blame a parent or a student for that. But they should play only other privates in the state tournaments. Have 2 classes and go play each other. Would be better quality or games and also solves this issue that will never go away until it is changed. Just trying to be fair to public kids.

-- Posted by clearwaterfan on Wed, Jun 17, 2015, at 2:27 PM
  • You must be the next Nostradamus, bleed. What Exactly are you predicting

-- Posted by Observer24 on Wed, Jun 17, 2015, at 5:48 PM
  • You guys got on the private vs. public kick. I don't think it is lack of teams that can compete with the private schools, as has been said, it is the way the districts and playoffs are ran. Notre Dame and Valle were not unbeaten this year. For example, Valle barely survived the district tournament. It is not Notre Dame or Valle's fault that the best competition was in their backyard. Until seeding playoffs based on a formula other than geography, this can and will happen.

-- Posted by Mr. Baseball on Thu, Jun 18, 2015, at 1:58 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: