High School Baseball Forum: Atlanta Braves Tryout Camp

Posted by jfrench@braves on Wed, May 6, 2015, at 12:23 PM:

The Atlanta Braves Tryout camp will be June 24th at Kennett High School at 9:00 a.m. ages 15 to 28.There also will be college coaches in attendance.

Replies (6)

• The camp is at Indian Park in Kennett,mo

-- Posted by jfrench@braves on Wed, May 6, 2015, at 12:25 PM
  • What the heck? Who do the Braves think they are coming into Cardinals territory

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Wed, May 6, 2015, at 4:38 PM
  • Since they're the only professional team seriously scouting the area, although the Cardinals may be starting to catch on. Here's a story on the topic: http://www.semissourian.com/story/2096416.html

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Wed, May 6, 2015, at 8:30 PM
  • Is there any cost for this camp?

-- Posted by Highschoolball on Tue, Jun 23, 2015, at 1:54 PM
  • So many players from Southeast Missouri advance to the state playoffs/final four among the five classes, Cardinal scouts, etc. have many opportunities to see them. In addition, several play for summer traveling teams, and many of their tournaments are in the St. Louis area and beyond.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Tue, Jun 23, 2015, at 4:24 PM
  • I've been to one of these camps. This is what they looked at when I was there. For people to actually get signed, a pitcher must have a 90+ mph fastball and a 10% speed differential on your off-speed pitch compared to your fastball.

A position player must have, I think it was at least a 6.9 second 60 yard dash. They didn't even have people swing the bat. For catchers, they looked at pop up and delivery times for throws to second base first and foremost. If I remember, they were looking for a catch and get it to 2b in under 2 seconds. This was a Cincinnati Reds tryout.

Yes, I know that not all major leaguer are fast or throw 90+, but I was told that if you are a great hitter or pitcher without these numbers, they will find you in college, travel ball, etc.

These camps basically put you on their radar screen and they may follow you if they see potential. There were a ton of high school and college players there and no one was signed on that day.

-- Posted by Mr. Baseball on Wed, Jun 24, 2015, at 12:40 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: