High School Baseball Forum: Who is the most dominant all-around team in men's high school basketball team in the Southeast Missouri region?

Posted by sportsnation on Wed, Dec 18, 2013, at 10:54 AM:

There have been rumors that Sikeston losing was a fluke, was it really a fluke or are they down this year? But maybe Notre Dame is just better than Sikeston. But if they are better than Sikeston why do they lose to Jackson by 20?

Replies (45)

• Right now I don't think there's much debate that Jackson is the best team in SEMO. They have the total package and it'll take a team with just better athletes all around to beat them.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Dec 18, 2013, at 11:05 AM
  • I think I agree with you Preacher Man. and sorry this was supposed to be under basketball

-- Posted by sportsnation on Wed, Dec 18, 2013, at 11:19 AM
  • With Banks back, I'd take SCC over Jackson.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Wed, Dec 18, 2013, at 11:43 AM

Sikeston right now is they don't know who should take the shot if that got it fingered out than it should be a good one between sikeston vs jackson but Fridays game at ND I thing sikeston is going to beat them by at least 14

-- Posted by B&RBasketball on Wed, Dec 18, 2013, at 11:53 AM

It thing we really find out how good scc is at the Christmas tournament

-- Posted by B&RBasketball on Wed, Dec 18, 2013, at 11:57 AM

I dont believe the ND game was a fluke and ND is way better than Sikeston. ND wins by 15 easy. (This is how half the Sikeston fans sound, but about Sikeston). I really do think the rematch will be a lot like the first game, coming down to the end. If you truly believe either team is going to let their opppnent pull away you dont know the Sikeston ND rivalry. They are an extremely even match this year. Its going to be electtic friday night. Better get there early to get a seat or you'll be listening to Bonacki on the radio in your car.

-- Posted by thunderstick on Wed, Dec 18, 2013, at 2:51 PM
  • Nd beating sikes was no fluke, nd had less turnovers than us, shot the ball better than us, broke our press better than we broke theirs, they were the better team. So if we dont shoot better or play better perimeter defense or press better it will be no fluke if we lose again fri nite. With that said, jaxon is easily playing the best TEAM ball in the area. Great defense and lotsa weapons on offense.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Dec 18, 2013, at 3:56 PM
  • I think SCC has a legit chance to win its Christmas Tournament but is in a very tough part of the bracket.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Dec 18, 2013, at 4:28 PM
  • I've seen no team I'd rate as "dominant" thus far.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Wed, Dec 18, 2013, at 4:52 PM
  • As usual, I'll be slightly off point, but high school basketball is not played by "men", in my opinion.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Wed, Dec 18, 2013, at 7:07 PM
  • Some are 18. Old enough to die for our country, I'd say they are men. But the majority are boys, I also found the title a little weird and humorous.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Wed, Dec 18, 2013, at 7:20 PM

I agree the team i put at the head of the class is Jackson!

-- Posted by porchswing on Wed, Dec 18, 2013, at 10:02 PM
  • Dustin...a legit chance means you somehow think they could knock off Jackson. Come on, Dustin...I always like to give you the benefit of the doubt, but this is absurd! If somehow the 2 would meet, Jackson cruises to the finals. My guess is that Jackson would love to see them in the semi's rather than ND. I'm hoping you wrote that to stir up this thread.

-- Posted by lseed on Wed, Dec 18, 2013, at 10:11 PM
  • Probably Cooter... When Cooter gets wet ooooowweeee it is unstoppable

-- Posted by hatin all day on Wed, Dec 18, 2013, at 10:21 PM
  • SCC can beat Jackson, no doubt.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Wed, Dec 18, 2013, at 10:34 PM
  • Champ. Were you at the Jamboree matchup with SCC at Jackson?

-- Posted by IndianPride on Wed, Dec 18, 2013, at 10:47 PM

Who did SCC get to transfer this year to give them a really good possibility of beating Jackson? There is no way they could beat them under normal curcumstances.

-- Posted by thunderstick on Wed, Dec 18, 2013, at 10:59 PM
  • "Jamboree matchup"....no I wasn't, but please go on.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Wed, Dec 18, 2013, at 11:25 PM
  • Champ. I was there so I was just wondering what you were basing your "no doubt" statement on?

-- Posted by IndianPride on Wed, Dec 18, 2013, at 11:30 PM
  • Right now its Jackson hands down.. Their defense is amazing and with the combo of their bigs and very much improved guard play they will be a tough team to beat this year.. I dont see any team beating them from the local area, barring any injuries..

-- Posted by footballfan29 on Thu, Dec 19, 2013, at 6:57 AM
  • SCC beats Jackson this year....???? Bahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Will all take a pound of what your smoking @Champ Kind

-- Posted by footballfan29 on Thu, Dec 19, 2013, at 7:01 AM
  • I base it on seeing them both play.

Ole footballfan, I guess SCC has no chance against Jackson just like Mizzou had no chance of finishing better than 6-6. You're pretty accurate with your predictions and have a lot of credibility.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Thu, Dec 19, 2013, at 8:09 AM
  • We are only 4-5 games into the season (for some teamS). It is a little early to crown a team with this title. Jackson does look good, but I think Sikeston and ND look pretty good too. PB looks to be improved and I think Cape will improve as the year goes on.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Dec 19, 2013, at 9:38 AM
  • Champ Kind, very true statement lol. Anything can happen in high school basketball. Jackson is playing well as a team. Haven't seen Scott County, but they are always tough. It's way too early to even say which team is the most dominant. Sikeston will get better and will be a tough team at the end of the season. Notre Dame was just off when they played Jackson. When those two meet again it will be a lot better game I would think.

-- Posted by Gary Pinkel on Thu, Dec 19, 2013, at 9:52 AM

Three words for everybody who want to rank the teams or crown one. Small Sample Size

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Dec 19, 2013, at 12:13 PM
  • Rocket. Agree with all of that. Particularly Cape. They will surely look better than they did in Sikeston as the season progresses.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, Dec 19, 2013, at 12:33 PM
  • Regarding Jackson vs. SCC. They played in Jackson in the jamboree. SCC without Banks and Jackson without Reynolds. Jackson handled them fairly easily. They also played in the Christmas tournament last year and Jackson won by a pretty good amount with Banks.

I will definitely NOT proclaim Jackson as dominant but I do like the way they look so far.

Our guards are playing at a higher level than in recent years and our bigs have improved from what was last year already pretty good.

They are off to a good start and hope to see it continue. As I do for all SEMO teams.

The way I see it it is us (SEMO) vs. the rest of the state!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, Dec 19, 2013, at 12:42 PM
  • There's no such thing as a dominant team this year. ND turned it over 30 times against Sikeston and beat them on their floor. Sikeston, and much of the area, is just really down this year. Jackson is very good this year, and probably the best team in the area, but they're not dominant like Sikeston and Charleston last year. The only game I've been to this year was ND-Jackson and Jackson controlled the game for 32 minutes. That being said, ND and Jackson will almost certainly play 3 times this year, and I'd be shocked if Jackson won all 3. The reality is, and I didn't believe it at first, but the area is just really down. I use what Sikeston and Charleston have done the last 3-4 years as my model of "dominance" in the area, and I see nobody right now even close to this standard.

-- Posted by V,B on Thu, Dec 19, 2013, at 4:36 PM
  • Hate to say it, but I agree with ya V,B. Teams will improve as the year goes on, but nobody looks outstanding from the limited amount I've seen so far.

Most years the winner of the SEMO Conference Tourney is a pretty accurate early indicator of who the top team is (save for a year or two where SCC could make that claim). Right now, based on small sample size and their performance so far, I have to put Jackson at the head of the pack.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Thu, Dec 19, 2013, at 5:30 PM

The upside of not having that amazing team is your going to get a lot more competitive and usually more entertaining games.

-- Posted by thunderstick on Thu, Dec 19, 2013, at 5:43 PM

Perhaps the parity doesn't equal mediocrity but high quality.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Dec 19, 2013, at 6:11 PM
  • Agree with Bunk. Actually think there are several really nice teams this year and there should be a lot of good games to see this year.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, Dec 19, 2013, at 6:15 PM
  • Sikeston is not " really down" this year. I would say they are mildly down. When the class 4 player of the year graduates its tough to replace him. Heck ND hasnt won districts since losing Willen five years ago but i wouldnt say nd is "really down".

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Dec 19, 2013, at 8:24 PM
  • I believe SCC is the team to beat in class 1 but I don't think they're capable of beating Jackson. With that saying I believe that Jackson is the best team in Southeast Missouri.

-- Posted by Sydney Crosby on Thu, Dec 19, 2013, at 8:44 PM
  • I realize that I look at southeast Missouri basketball through red and black glasses... The Dogs are 3-1 early in the season. I think the Dogs are going to be very good, but it will take a few more weeks since we have a lot of players with limited game experience. I just have a hunch... (said in my best Ben Crenshaw voice).

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Dec 19, 2013, at 10:11 PM
  • The top two teams in the area last season (Charleston and Sikeston) lost all state point guards and several other key contributors. With such big losses there is a lack of on court leadership for these two teams. Cape lost their leader/best scorer: Garan Evans. Notre Dame lost a leader and consistant contributor in Cody DeBrock. A reason for Jackson's success is that they bring back majority of their offense and their leaders in PG: Daume along with Blake Reynolds and Karson King. With another year to grow they SHOULD be the best team at the beginning of the season. However, only time will tell if they will continue to improve and remain the team to beat in SEMO

-- Posted by semo501 on Thu, Dec 19, 2013, at 11:13 PM
  • @Champ Kind... MIZZOU got lucky this year! They play in the much weaker SEC EAST which was extremely down this year.. Had they been in the WEST they would have been beaten by not only Auburn, Alabama and LSU, but as well we already know South Carolina beat them too! So that being said yes I was wrong about them being 6-6.. but had they been in the WEST they would have finished @ 7-5 or 8-4..

Regarding Jackson playing BBall against SCC.. SCC just doesnt have the BIGS to beat Jackson.. I've seen both teams play and Jackson's defense is phenomenal this year as well as their post play... One kid (Banks for SCC) won't get it done verse Jackson..

-- Posted by footballfan29 on Fri, Dec 20, 2013, at 7:53 AM
  • After reading everything about who the #1 team is. I believe everyone would agree "IF" SCC wins the Christmas Tour. they would be #1 at that time. They will possibly have to play N.D.,Jackson,& Cape or Charleston in order to win it all.That my friend will be TOUGH !! Good Luck Braves

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Fri, Dec 20, 2013, at 8:30 AM

SCC is more than just Larandis Banks, but I don't think they would beat Jackson if they were to matchup in the Christmas Tournament. If they do, you may want to watch out for Jeffrey Porter, as well.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Fri, Dec 20, 2013, at 8:56 AM
  • SCC has way more than just Banks. Don't say something if you don't know what you're talking about. There just may be a Porter on that team that happens to know how to play a little basketball. Jackson is good, not taking anything away from them but don't say SCC can't beat someone because they will make you look like a fool.

-- Posted by Gary Pinkel on Fri, Dec 20, 2013, at 9:47 AM

IMO,The Christmas tourney will give us a better idea on how good they are this year!

-- Posted by porchswing on Fri, Dec 20, 2013, at 10:06 AM
  • LMAO....SCC MAY NOT EVEN BEAT ORAN MUCH LESS JACKSON!!!

-- Posted by BLARNEY CARNEY on Fri, Dec 20, 2013, at 10:50 AM
  • This is very true Blarney .Oran has a very good team !! Good Luck Braves !!

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Fri, Dec 20, 2013, at 3:13 PM
  • SCC may not even play Jackson . They have a long way to go before they get to Jackson. It would be very tough for them to win the tour. Good Luck Braves !!

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Fri, Dec 20, 2013, at 3:21 PM
  • I believe it is a little too early in the season for rankings, but Maxpreps computer has ranked Jackson 3rd overall in state, Notre Dame(17), Sikeston(20),Poplar Bluff(44), Charleston(45), Scott County Central(58),Oran(59)

-- Posted by theprof on Fri, Dec 20, 2013, at 4:44 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: