High School Baseball Forum: Best small school pitchers going into spring season??

Posted by Diehardfan on Sat, Nov 23, 2013, at 3:21 PM:

Replies (63)

• Devin Trammel at Bernie is good. He has pitched some very good games. Jacob Trammel at South Pemiscot is also very good. There are a couple All State pitchers in Holcomb with Houart and Clark. I believe they pitched every inning from the Semi's of District through the Final Four of

the State Playoffs. I am sure there are more to the north I am not really familiar with.

-- Posted by MoArk on Sun, Nov 24, 2013, at 8:01 PM
  • Devin Trammel was 6-2 with 1.05 era

BJ Jennings was 3-1 with .48 era

Brad Freed was 4-1 with 1.70 era average

This was the early part of the year at Bernie

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Sun, Nov 24, 2013, at 8:52 PM
  • Devin trammel - Bernie

Tim fox - Bloomfield

Austin Teichman - Puxico

Just a few pretty solid aces I seen pitch this last fall, all three throw upwards 80+ and have pretty nasty curve balls.

-- Posted by Diehardfan on Sun, Nov 24, 2013, at 11:51 PM
  • Oran will once again have the best 1-2 punch in class 1 with Ressel and Tenkhoff. Schlosser who would be an ace on majority of class 1 teams in the area will get a good chunk of innings also.

Oran will once again win a good amount of its game with its pitching.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Mon, Nov 25, 2013, at 1:56 AM
  • @diehard Tim Fox from Bloomfield threw maybe 67-70 mph this summer when I saw him just to point that out. Nonetheless, not a bad pitcher.

Bernie has numerous arms that should be ready to go after an upsetting loss in districts last year.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Mon, Nov 25, 2013, at 2:00 AM
  • Here we go again. No one in this area will throw upper 80s even in larger schools. Tim Fox MIGHT throw 74 or 75. MAYBE. Nowhere near mid 80 to upper 80s.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Mon, Nov 25, 2013, at 7:51 AM
  • Bulletman, what are you considering "this area?" Cape and below?

-- Posted by Squeak on Mon, Nov 25, 2013, at 7:59 AM
  • then ND's scoreboard radar is juiced. bc a ton of guys did it last year

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Mon, Nov 25, 2013, at 8:11 AM
  • Squeak--You can call "area" whatever you choose...Noone will hit pitch in the upper 80's this year..People throw those numbers around like it's no big deal...An 80 MPH fastball in high school in this area is bringing it. There's a difference in pitching in upper 80's and hitting hitting upper 80's on a couple of pitches...Many kids can rare back and throw a ball hard, but doing it consistently and pitching is a different story. Now, if die hard is saying there will be kids throw/pitch at 80 mph then I would agree with him but not upper 80's..That being said, I am ready for some baseball.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Mon, Nov 25, 2013, at 8:48 AM
  • I know Valle has two juniors that are legit mid 80s guys, lefty and a righty. The lefty played most first last year but he can throw mid 80s. The righty was first team all-state with a 7-1 record and sub 1 ERA. He's mid 80s.

-- Posted by Squeak on Mon, Nov 25, 2013, at 9:18 AM
  • Valle has nobody throwing in the mid 80's.

-- Posted by Coachken on Mon, Nov 25, 2013, at 9:22 AM
  • And you know this how?

-- Posted by Squeak on Mon, Nov 25, 2013, at 9:38 AM
  • I know Litterest threw mid 80's and they claimed Basler was better.

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Mon, Nov 25, 2013, at 10:06 AM
  • coachken---I don't think folks realize how hard mid 80s is. I find it hard to believe that a class 1 team has 2 kids that throw mid 80s. We played against litterest last year and he was nowhere near mid 80s.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Mon, Nov 25, 2013, at 10:27 AM
  • What's malden pitching going to be like this year ?

-- Posted by central101 on Mon, Nov 25, 2013, at 10:32 AM
  • Litterest is low 80s and I've also heard Basler is better. Better stuff, better composure. 7-1 with a sub 1 ERA as a sophomore is pretty good. I was at the Valle/Dexter game when Basler pitched. Seen him on the radar gun three pitches in a row: 84, 85, 84.

-- Posted by Squeak on Mon, Nov 25, 2013, at 11:09 AM
  • I guess sikeston isn't considered small ?

-- Posted by Bulldogs20 on Mon, Nov 25, 2013, at 11:10 AM
  • Squeak. Summer coaches, your current coach I can keep going. Left handed and mid 80's would make him an elite level talent. 77-80 is a very good high school fastball. 85 is probably going to get you a college scholarship. 90 and left handed and a decent body and your drafted 99

% of the time.

And didnt the Litterest went to MAC. A kid throwing 85-86 should be better than MAC. Just saying

-- Posted by Coachken on Mon, Nov 25, 2013, at 2:04 PM
  • 90 and left handed and you will be drafted 100% of the time. Doesn't matter about body, that can be fixed. And once again, Litterest was not 85-86. I'm guessing you're a coach for a high school baseball team?

-- Posted by Squeak on Mon, Nov 25, 2013, at 2:28 PM
  • Coach---you're not going to convince them. I watched elite level talent all summer and saw very few kids throwing over 85 consistently. You're right in all your analysis. I would say that if a lefty throws that hard he might choose juco so he can get drafted sooner. If he signs with a 4 year school he has to play or be out of high school for 3 years. Not the case with JUCO.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Mon, Nov 25, 2013, at 2:44 PM
  • Well we will have to see what Valle does this year. If they have two legit arms then they should be pretty darn good just based off that.

-- Posted by Coachken on Mon, Nov 25, 2013, at 2:50 PM
  • Ressell from oran will be a top area pitcher regardless of school size

-- Posted by BLARNEY CARNEY on Mon, Nov 25, 2013, at 4:23 PM
  • It's funny this started off about who some of the top pitchers in the area for small schools are. It has gotten now to who throws what speed. You don't have to throw mid to upper 80s to be a top pitcher in High School. You need to throw strikes, change speeds, locate your pitches and be able to throw around 75. The kids down south do pretty well in Bernie, Holcomb, Portageville and South Pemiscot. Some of them touch 80-83 and change speeds well. When you see the quality pitching on those 4 teams its a real challenge just to get out of the district. The key anymore is having at least two quality pitchers.

-- Posted by MoArk on Mon, Nov 25, 2013, at 5:23 PM
  • I seen Tim fox and Austin Teichman go at in Bernie's fall classic in the consolation bracket, both easily hitting 80 mph multiple times! Puxico battled it out and go a win but I'm interested to see these to go at it again

-- Posted by Diehardfan on Mon, Nov 25, 2013, at 5:27 PM
  • unless those two have added 6 mph each they aren't touching 80 easily. but, they are very good pitchers

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Mon, Nov 25, 2013, at 5:59 PM
  • Falls is right. Fox isn't close to 80 but is a quality player.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Mon, Nov 25, 2013, at 6:30 PM
  • I've seen the teichman kid from puxico pitch. Not a bad pitcher but no way he even touches 80. 75 at the most. Tim fox might touch 80.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Mon, Nov 25, 2013, at 8:21 PM
  • You guys are funny. You are joking,right? If not you need to learn the difference between touching 80 and pitching in the LOW 70's. I know 80 sounds good but some of the names mentioned, I don't think so.

-- Posted by playdeep on Mon, Nov 25, 2013, at 9:57 PM
  • Baseballfan2010- Consistently the Teichman kid is in the upper 70's but can throw up to 80 at times, just found out he didn't just get past Bloomfield but also took A dominate Bernie team ten innings, don't think he pitched it all but went most of the game, I'm interested to see how how things turn out for this lefty

-- Posted by Diehardfan on Mon, Nov 25, 2013, at 11:09 PM
  • This is why I don't like open forums when it comes to these kind of topics. Anybody can hide behind a name to make themselves or a friend/relative look better than what they are. It wouldn't surprise me if "diehardfan" is the teichman kid himself. As an unbiased observer, I have watched plenty of baseball and have got to see Teichman pitch 2 or 3 times last fall. Not knocking the kids ability to pitch at all, above average high school pitcher, just saying he does NOT throw 80 mph.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Tue, Nov 26, 2013, at 12:02 PM
  • Only way to know for sure is to get the radar gun out at the games. Can you prove that he doesn't throw 80, baseballfan2010? You have definitive evidence that any of the above mentioned players don't throw 80? Until you have proof that they do or don't, then your opinion is total garbage.

Get a radar gun and go to the games, video some of these pitchers, then upload a video to YouTube, etc., then post a link here. Then, and only then, will you have some credibility if they don't throw 80, by having some proof.

-- Posted by Pete Czeria on Tue, Nov 26, 2013, at 12:25 PM
  • Anybody who has watched baseball enough with some knowledge of the game knows a pitcher is close to 80 or even faster when they see it. You can tell by the sound of the ball before it hits the mit or by what kind of swings the batters are getting on the fastballs. I don't need a radar gun to say he does not throw 80 because I have clocked enough pitchers who do throw 80.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Tue, Nov 26, 2013, at 1:25 PM
  • same here

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Tue, Nov 26, 2013, at 2:24 PM
  • At pro games, the speed of the pitch is measured at the release point, and depending on the pitch, slows down anywhere from 4-5 MPH to over 10 MPH+.

-- Posted by gianthook on Tue, Nov 26, 2013, at 3:47 PM
  • I'm just giving my option on what I've seen at the Bernie tournament, I just had an opptournuty to see the Teichman kid throw twice, also seen alot of talent from the Bernie pitching rotation with trammel and freed, and seen the fox kid throw a few times.

-- Posted by Diehardfan on Tue, Nov 26, 2013, at 8:56 PM
  • K but don't be saying the teichman kid throws 80. Because I've seen Tim fox throw and he might throw a little harder than teichman but still might be just barely touching 80. In small schools, if you throw 80 +, your usually gona get around 10 + strikeouts every start unless your playing a state ranked caliber team.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Wed, Nov 27, 2013, at 8:11 AM
  • Several OFC Pitchers

Clearwater

Haden Clark

Austin Ayers

Bryce Alcorn

Neelyville

Cody Birdson

Lane Spencer

Doniphan

Brendan Casteel

Trey Payne

East Carter

Logan Saffle

Trever Lewis

Greenville

Trey McDaniel

Dakota Norden

Twin Rivers

Cole Dempsey

Nathan Watson

-- Posted by Kidrayray on Wed, Nov 27, 2013, at 8:25 AM
  • Several OFC Pitchers

Clearwater

Haden Clark

Austin Ayers

Bryce Alcorn

Neelyville

Cody Birdson

Lane Spencer

Doniphan

Brendan Casteel

Trey Payne

East Carter

Logan Saffle

Trever Lewis

Greenville

Trey McDaniel

Dakota Norden

Twin Rivers

Cole Dempsey

Nathan Watson

-- Posted by Kidrayray on Wed, Nov 27, 2013, at 8:28 AM
  • Speaking for the Valle pitchers, none of the pitchers mentioned can consistently throw in the mid 80's...yet. I've seen all three of them pitch and they are all very similar in velocity. They are all sitting around 79-81, which is still very good for high school. I really like the lefty, Bergtholdt, because he is tall, lanky, and has command. Basler on the other hand, is a great strike thrower, or he has shown he can be in each of the times I have seen him pitch. I know both of these kids work hard at baseball, but I don't see them getting mid 80's consistently for another year. However, those two will make Valle very tough to beat in the spring.

-- Posted by MSU35 on Sat, Nov 30, 2013, at 1:52 AM
  • There's very few kids around here that can hit 80.

-- Posted by Sydney Crosby on Sat, Nov 30, 2013, at 1:54 PM
  • in the Semoball coverage area I'd say there's 50 at least

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Sat, Nov 30, 2013, at 2:09 PM
  • ASU assistant coach was at Steele last year watching South Pem vs. Sikeston. Both pitchers, Jacob Trammel for South Pem and Doug Still for Sikeston, were over 80 on his gun the entire time they threw. Trammel at 80-83 consistently, Still at 84-86.

-- Posted by Shank on Tue, Dec 3, 2013, at 9:46 AM
  • From what I heard ND may have 4 pitchers throwing 80+

-- Posted by Baseball08 on Thu, Dec 5, 2013, at 4:48 PM
  • The last few years, I've been amused at how many people have gone overboard with "pitch counts and radar guns!"

-- Posted by semo7178 on Thu, Dec 5, 2013, at 9:36 PM
  • Kalvin Quinn II will throw low to mid 90s. nasty 12-6 curveball and a changeup that clocks in at 73. could lead Cooter to the state title game. also, could be a high round draft pick.

-- Posted by sportsnation on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 11:13 AM
  • sportsnation are u serious low to mid 90's for a class 1 pitcher what grade is this kid in never heard of him

-- Posted by Dragon & Warrior Fan on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 1:13 PM
  • Sure he is one of Cooter's yearly move in's. haha! I think they are pulling your chain Warrior Pride.

-- Posted by Kidrayray on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 1:39 PM
  • Hahahahhahaha right. I bet he's also ambidextrous and bats in the 4-hole

-- Posted by Baseball08 on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 6:38 PM
  • actually, he doesn't hit at all. he's strictly a pitcher. he is a junior that just came from Arkansas over the summer.

-- Posted by sportsnation on Tue, Dec 17, 2013, at 10:54 AM
  • Did he play fall ball sportsnation?

-- Posted by Shank on Tue, Dec 17, 2013, at 12:26 PM
  • Shank- I'm not for sure, you will have to ask him yourself. I just saw clips of him and he is legit

-- Posted by sportsnation on Tue, Dec 17, 2013, at 12:52 PM
  • Not true about Cooter hahaha but I would take that move in, he sounds good, We(Cooter) will be okay this year. Had a decent fall looking to improve alot to hopefully win disricts and move on.

-- Posted by CoachMathis44 on Mon, Dec 23, 2013, at 12:33 PM
  • doubt cooter will get past Oran

-- Posted by BLARNEY CARNEY on Mon, Dec 23, 2013, at 1:11 PM
  • Not sure about some of these guys but I don't think any teams can throw out any two better pitchers than Holcomb. Clark and Houart are hard to beat as a duo and helped take them a long way last year.

-- Posted by baseballfever on Wed, Dec 25, 2013, at 9:40 PM
  • Look at the kind of talent and teams cooter has had from 2007 -2014 the type of teams are changing there the teams are becoming less athletic and seem to be losing the cooter way but from what I saw this spring I think they will win their weak district and fall to Oran it's goin to be hard for them and now they are with out coach Mac I think it will be a couple more years befor we see another final four there

On Oran though like what I see with the pitching great Oran team I look for a repeat easy

The best pitcher in small schools and probley best player Jordan peavey from Rico is you haven't seen this kind play susgest a trip to risco

-- Posted by Oldbaseball on Fri, Jan 24, 2014, at 9:36 PM
  • I meant fall *

-- Posted by Oldbaseball on Fri, Jan 24, 2014, at 9:38 PM

I, for one, am going to miss Coach Mac.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Fri, Jan 24, 2014, at 10:46 PM
  • I think Cooter has a better chance of getting upset in districts then beating Oran in the Sectional but I look for neither to occur. Oran will be probably post a sub .200 batting average again as a team but should have the best class 1 pitching staff in the state with Ressel, Tenkhoff, and Schlosser. Holes should be filled defensively besides seeing a "typical" Oran catcher behind the plate this year. A lot of teams for once will have the ability to run on Oran.

With all this being said, already weak class 1 will be weaker this year. A state championship is a very realistic goal once again for the Eagles IMO.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sun, Jan 26, 2014, at 2:32 PM
  • As a past player of Coach Mac, it was a pleasure playing for him and the Cooter Wildcats. Not only will I miss seeing him in the dugout, but so will the entire Bootheel. Cooter has some great Coaches Bobby McCullouch and David Mathis, and I look for them to get the young Cooter team prepared for districts just as Coach Mac did. Cooter may be down from pitching from years past, but they have one of the best hitters in Class 1 in Riley Hickerson and a decent pitcher in Tyler Mclevain. I look for the young Cooter team to win their district and advance to play the Oran Eagles during the sectional game.

-- Posted by Powerhouse100 on Sun, Jan 26, 2014, at 10:28 PM
  • Advance shouldn't have a problem winning games this year with Dawson mayo coming up and the return of below and eggiman

-- Posted by baller21 on Tue, Mar 4, 2014, at 9:14 PM
  • They'll have to deal with the return of Zalma balla21.. Come to think of it are you number 21 on the basketball team?

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Tue, Mar 4, 2014, at 9:16 PM
  • Payne Trammel and Ressel should dominate

-- Posted by NoSidez on Tue, Mar 4, 2014, at 9:16 PM
  • thur gon be any thot's in dem daisy dukes watching dem boyz play ball dis spring?

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Tue, Mar 4, 2014, at 9:20 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: