High School Baseball Forum: Sikeston vs. C-ville?

Posted by Fathead73 on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 11:34 AM:

I think sikeston wins 30+ because there at home

Replies (58)

• Fathead73,

I'm glad you started this thread. I was thinking of doing so, but you saved me the work. I like Sikeston by 20+. I sound like a broken record, but Sikeston's depth and smothering D will be too much for the Tigers.

As my good friend, who is the southeast Missouri representative for the Guadalajara Redhawks, likes to hear me say....Sikeston just has too many horses for the Tigers! LOL!!!!!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 11:41 AM
  • A couple Caruthersville people I talked to think they can pull a shocker on Friday, or at worst, make it a very interesting game. I'm very excited to see this matchup. I've been hearing about Cville for the past couple years but I haven't seen them. They could be the favorite in Class 3 around here. You never know.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 12:04 PM
  • This game is actually quite the secret. Not many folks in Sikeston even know they are playing Caruthersville on Friday since it was added to the schedule late.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 12:08 PM
  • semohoops.....tell those people who you are talking to about "pulling off a shocker on Friday night," tell them to ask every other team who has said that same statement. Kennett I think is a very good team in Class 3 and they lost by 25 on their home floor. What makes Caruthersville fan's think that they can come into Sikeston and pull off a victory? It wont happen! Period end of discussion

-- Posted by dog2167 on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 12:14 PM
  • This was posted on semosportsweb's forums.

"Sikeston is a great team but I would argue that Caruthersville is one of the most disciplined teams I've seen all year. The way they've improved is remarkable. They don't take bad shots, they are hitting their free throws, and they are taking better care of the ball. All of this while playing so fast. I think Sikeston will win but Caruthersville can play with Sikeston."

One poster also said "Mark it down, Cville will play Sikeston tougher than Kennett."....in so many words. That was posted before the Sikeston-Kennett game.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 12:27 PM
  • Well it seems to be the case every time a good class 3 team or below thinks they have a chance with Sikeston, which is good...at least they have an optimistic outlook. But, let's be honest here; Sikeston's home record is untouchable, and Hollifield doesn't overlook a single team. I would love to see an upset like that, but I just think there's no way.

Also, does anyone else think it wouldn't be a bad thing for Sikeston to get a reality check before they get into districts?

-- Posted by thepurpleturtle on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 12:30 PM
  • The way some people talk on here Cape will give us that reality check and every team we are going to play until then will(least thats what their fans are saying)

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 1:04 PM
  • I dont think that we are unstoppable,we may lose but we may not.I think the team we have this year doesn't have the big ego's of the last few years.I really see team ball not 1 or 2 ppl ball.I dont understand why so many people are so against us.Some of the fans may like to boast alot but if the shoes was on the other foot so would ya. now I'm done.

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 1:26 PM
  • There are two teams that have the athletes, the bench, and the stamina to run with Sikeston for an entire game, SCC and Caruthersville. Having said that I don't think Caruthersville can limit their turnovers enough to beat Sikeston, but they won't run out of gas. In Class 3 they are without a doubt the most talented team in that district and as somebody else said they are very disciplined. I'd give Kennett and Charleston an edge over them right now simply because of experience. But Caruthersville has a great group of athletes and I agree with somebody else they are very disciplined. They play hard and they are fun to watch.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 1:38 PM

In no way do I think Cville can beat Sikeston on friday. Sikeston is just way to experienced for this young tiger team.Not to mention the game will be played in Sikeston so the outlook is not looking great. Sure, upsets happen and it could possibly happen friday but its not likely. This game will be a learning experience for Cville just to get to play a team like Sikeston. I think Cville has great ball players with tremendous speed and stamina. Most of these same guys played on the football team so they are in great shape already both physically and mentally. With all that said, I say Sikeston wins by 25+, although I would love to see Cville play them tougher.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 1:56 PM
  • I hear what everyone is saying abuot Caruthersville being disciplined. I will take your word on that. I havent seen them play and cant give me opinion on that so i will take you at your word. HOWEVER, with saying that, Sikeston's defense makes you undisciplined. They will cause you to make stupid turnovers.

My only question I have to ask though, how can you say you have the stamina to keep up with Sikeston if you have never played a team like Sikeston. Kennett I thought did a great job with stamina, if they were not playing Sikeston. Like every other team Sikeston plays at some point Caruthersville will get tired. Mark it down!

-- Posted by dog2167 on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 1:59 PM

Because Caruthersville players played football on a very good team and didn't wait til basketball season to start getting in to shape, unlike most of Sikeston opponents thus far. Most of them are strickly basketball players who has now just started getting in to playing shape is why I think they have the stamina to play with them. Sikeston is not the only team in Missouri to have great Stamina. Look no one in Semo really thinks Cville is going to beat your Bulldogs on friday. Cville knows what they are up against. It may not be Cville but one day Sikeston is going to run up on a team who they think can't "RUN" with them and they will be in for a surprise. Anyone can be beaten. May not happen friday but no one is immune to defeat or having an off night, it happens.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 2:12 PM
  • So I guess Sikeston WILL lose this season?? Tell me who has the best shot at beating Sikeston this season? Just wondering what ppl are thinking

-- Posted by dog2167 on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 2:29 PM
  • It could happen tomorrow against Jackson. You never know. I've seen far greater upsets than that. Do I THINK it will happen? No. But I've been around long enough to know that high school sports are very unpredictable. And Jackson has a team very capable of pulling an upset. I'm sure they'll be more prepared this time around.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 2:37 PM
  • I know that it can happen on any given night. My question was, who has the BEST shot at beating Sikeston this season? Not who might be able to beat sikeston if sikeston has a horrible game

-- Posted by dog2167 on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 2:44 PM

On Caruthersville, I like the team that they have this year, the way they have beefed up their schedule as they have gained more talent, and I think they are definitely the wildcard in District 1. I also enjoy the enthusiasm of their fans, reminds me of Sikeston's fans to a degree (and as a Sikeston fan, I like the attitude of Sikeston fans). For this game, I know they have talent but I'm going to have to disagree with your sentiment Cheesehead that football will have them prepared. Most basketball players are conditioning and practicing even before official practice starts. SCC runs year round which helps them to stay up tempo in games. I say it will be around a 25-30 point win for Sikeston. The Bulldogs can win a game without running the entire time and can play with teams that have stamina. That is just one of the many areas they excel in. It is just focused on more because of how big the advantage is. With the depth they have and the state track athletes, their speed just becomes a huge, noticeable advantage.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 2:48 PM
  • Just looking at the schedule, Cape Central would have the best shot at this point.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 2:52 PM
  • That is a good team to pick. But IMO it wont happen. Not with Sikeston playing at home. But that is what I was wanting to hear. They do have a legit shot at beting them on an off night.

Let me tell you Sikeston's best player IMO that is not talked about. Vashan Ruffin! This dude is a stud. We dont hear a lot abuot him because he only plays 1 quarter a night because he plays JV. But he played in the Farmington game and had double digits in 5 mins of action. Trust me if he plays more than 1 quarter in this game it could be very very bad for Cape!!

-- Posted by dog2167 on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 2:59 PM
  • Sikeston will only have 1 loss all year, unless they play SCC then they would have 2 !!!!!

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 3:15 PM
  • OK DA#1OLDCAT where is the first loss coming?

-- Posted by dog2167 on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 3:24 PM
  • I wouldn't be surprised if C'ville is better than Kennett, so logically you'd think they'd give Sikeston a better game than Kennett did. But realistically, I see Sikeston winning this one by 25 or so.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 3:32 PM
  • I see sikeston winning this game but dont forget who coaches cville Heeb will have those boys in shape.

-- Posted by braves win on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 3:53 PM
  • Portageville played close with caruthersville. I don't think Portageville is their usually self-losing to saxony Lutheran I know they were missing a player or two but sikeston by 20+ IMO.. caruthersville's best statement win was there embarrassment at the bands of a bad meadow heights team

-- Posted by LeeSummitBooster on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 4:02 PM
  • Caruthersville is NOT better than Kennett as they proved them already and if they were just fresh from football, doesnt matter, they should be in shape since football should already have them in shape.. Kennett played C'ville 3 times last year and beat them 3 times last year!!

-- Posted by Ktownballer18 on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 4:23 PM
  • DA#1OLDCAT....who will be their first loss? I'm not saying it won't happen, I'm just curious to whom they will lose.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 4:23 PM
  • it wont happen unless its in the state championship

-- Posted by Bleacherbum on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 4:34 PM

Dont get cocky playboy.

-- Posted by CL on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 4:35 PM
  • You never can tell. Heck, ND could beat them in districts. Would I bet on it? No way. But who knows. Last time they played it wasn't exactly a blowout. Might be Farmington in sectionals. I believe Sikeston thumped Farmington in the regular season last year, then had a very close game in sectionals. You never can tell. Beating all the local teams by 20+ doesn't mean an upset can't happen.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 4:57 PM

"There are two teams that have the athletes, the bench, and the stamina to run with Sikeston for an entire game, SCC and Caruthersville." False. No one in this area has the depth to run with Sikeston for 4 quarters. Kennett thought they could run with Sikeston for 4 quarters. They might have lasted 3 quarters. The 30 minute halftime show helped. SCC's depth is no where near Sikeston's, but they have possibly the best player in the state so that helps. I'm not saying that SCC could not beat Sikeston because that's not true. No one has the depth or stamina to run with Sikeston

-- Posted by Shadow-the-hedgehog on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 5:26 PM
  • Farm,

I don't disagree with you at all. However, OldCat is SURE they will lose once. I am just curious to whom he is so sure they will lose...that's all. They could lose to ANYONE on a given night, but he seems to KNOW who it is.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 6:02 PM
  • Yeah, at this point, it would totally be a shot in the dark to predict anyone prior to the sectional round beating Sikeston. Probably even sectionals and maybe the quarters. Once you get to Columbia in Class 4 and 5, there aren't any easy-out teams.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 6:09 PM
  • given the history of c'ville's coach the product he represents i think they have a great chance to pull off the major upset one thing about he knows how to coach against that pressure he's won championships coaching and playing with a similar press one fact to mention he's a better coach than sikeston's gregg holifield.

-- Posted by rellcut1 on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 6:52 PM
  • goodluck coach heeb i hope you pull off an upset and shut the mouths of the sikeston fans. i'm sure that your team can run with them, afew of us know where your roots are at.and those that dont,dont know much about southeast bball.i hope lessons learned from the old man help you and your team get a win if not make them earn it.

-- Posted by dribble on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 7:20 PM
  • A lot of Sikeston fans at the Sik_Kennett game thought that if Kennett hadn't enjoyed a 45 min halftime show which allowed there players to get there legs back, would have been a lot worse

-- Posted by lastride67 on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 7:22 PM
  • I guess coaching your team to 16-0 this year and one of the best teams in southeast missouri for the past 5 years isn't that good, sikeston by 20

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 7:24 PM

Lots of Sikeston hate on the board today.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 7:35 PM
  • Personally, I haven't heard anyone in Caruthersville saying that we are going to beat Sikeston. Hey, who wouldn't want an upset? Sikeston is a GREAT team, Kennett is also a good ball club. I think we can make it an interesting ball game. So ktownballer, Tiger fans are not putting down Kennett at all. We have respect for Kennett, you have beaten us the last 4 times we have played, we are well aware of it. You love to brag and post about how great Kennett is all the time. I think everyone in SEMO has heard you. I agree with you, Kennett is good. We do look forward to game #5, don't get me wrong. I think Caruthersville has really improved and are getting stronger by the minute. We don't need respect on here, that is fine. THe TIGERS plan on earning respect throughout this year.

-- Posted by caruthersvilletigerfan on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 8:23 PM
  • I'm glad were playin c'ville honestly, it'll answer a "what if" sorta thing, sorta like what happened in football

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 8:26 PM
  • so, was it a 30 minute halftime show or 45 , next it will be an hour.cvill might be able to give sikeston a good game. I think they will for 2 or 3 quarters,I just don't think they are deep enough to pull it off. cvill will be hard to beat in the district tournament, I doubt anyone is overlooking them.

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 8:42 PM
  • Has anyone noticed that was actually high school baseball thread? lol!

I didn't until just now.

-- Posted by caruthersvilletigerfan on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 8:49 PM
  • Scott County leading Oran in finals 68 to 17 early 3rd qt

-- Posted by lastride67 on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 9:01 PM
  • Kennett fans, let's be honest... Kennett has beat Caruthersville twice AT KENNETT. Once was last year after Taylor got hit by a car. The other time was this year after Cville had about a week to practice, because unlike our football team, theirs actually won some games. The time they played on a neutral court last year they had Kennett down 15 in the second half with a bunch of sophomores and a couple juniors. Now that those kids are juniors and seniors, and they've added those two freshman, I don't know why any Kennett fan would want to get on here and talk trash about them! And to say they should be in shape after playing football??? Have you ever played football? Ever played basketball? There is no way you can be in shape for basketball a week after playing football, NO WAY! As a Kennett fan, I'd much rather see Charleston in the district than Caruthersville. And I'm pulling for Cville to pull off the upset this Friday! Sikeston has a great team, but on any given night even a great team can get beat!

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 10:29 PM
  • Why does everyone want Sikeston to fall?

-- Posted by Bleacherbum on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 10:34 PM
  • Im glad yall like my thread but i think sikeston will win tough to play at home the fans are crazy wild and to tell u the truth the back drop can throw off ur shot

-- Posted by Fathead73 on Mon, Jan 24, 2011, at 11:18 PM
  • better coach? Respect goes a lot further to most people.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Tue, Jan 25, 2011, at 6:06 AM
  • The Kennett halftime show was 2 hours and 37 minutes.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Tue, Jan 25, 2011, at 6:28 AM
  • Rocketsbro, think your estimate is closer than my 45 minutes.

-- Posted by lastride67 on Tue, Jan 25, 2011, at 7:26 AM
  • But those little girls could dance! What a halftime show LOL

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Tue, Jan 25, 2011, at 8:40 AM
  • Heeb is still coaching in Missouri? LOL Did he bring DD Gillespie with him? hahaha

-- Posted by RedShirt on Tue, Jan 25, 2011, at 10:01 AM
  • Hey OldCAT...I'm still waiting on your response. Who is going to beat Sikeston? I think they still have several games where they COULD...COULD....get beat, but you seem to KNOW. Please enlighten us......

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Jan 26, 2011, at 11:04 AM
  • I hear the crickets chirping......

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Wed, Jan 26, 2011, at 11:11 AM
  • Still waiting on your response OLDCAT!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Jan 28, 2011, at 8:56 AM
  • DAOLDFAT has serious problems with sikeston..

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Fri, Jan 28, 2011, at 10:35 PM

Number 30 on the caruthersville JV impressed me. Dude was quick

-- Posted by CL on Fri, Jan 28, 2011, at 11:15 PM
  • This is the trash iam talking about. Shut up

-- Posted by mule1993 on Sat, Jan 29, 2011, at 5:04 PM

Yeah Gadget. Sikeston hasn't even played Bernie yet and there's a Bernie fan already upset. Quit being so sarcastic.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Jan 29, 2011, at 5:13 PM
  • Haha i wonder how mad he'll be after they get throttled?

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sat, Jan 29, 2011, at 5:29 PM
  • Gadget

He will be VERY MAD!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Jan 29, 2011, at 6:55 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: