High School Baseball Forum: Clearwater VS. South Pem and Cooter

Posted by dogslife on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 10:48 AM:

1st in state Clearwater Tigers battle two rivals who will put up a good fight

what are your views of these two match ups saturday, may 8th

Replies (65)

• I like Clearwater to win both of their game and remain undefeated.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 12:09 PM
  • i think, number one it depends on who pitches for each team, having said that if Thompson pitches for S. Pem. they have the best shot.

-- Posted by thesmartestpersonyoudon'tknow on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 1:33 PM
  • thesmartestpersonyoudon'tknow

Even if Thompson pitches for South Pemiscot can South Pemiscot score enough runs to win?

I hope Thompson does pitch against Clearwater. I would also like ot see Edwards or Watkins go for Cooter against Clearwater if they are available.

I'd love to see what Clearwater can do against the most talented pitchers. I think this would answer several questions regarding Clearwater's chances in the state tournament.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 2:04 PM
  • What is the schedule for the games at Cooter tomorrow?

-- Posted by hardball on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 6:51 PM
  • 11:00 South Pemiscot VS Cooter

1:00 South Pemiscot VS Clearwater

3:00 Clearwater VS Cooter

KCRV.COM will do the internet broadcast of all 3 games or 1370 AM for about 30 miles.

-- Posted by mac baseball on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 8:05 PM
  • Morris is pitching against South Pem and Kirkpatrick against Cooter.

-- Posted by RainmanC2010 on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 10:34 PM
  • I believe. Not too sure.

-- Posted by RainmanC2010 on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 10:37 PM
  • Who is pitching for Cooter?

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 11:08 PM
  • Edwards VS Clearwater

Anderson VS South Pemiscot

-- Posted by mac baseball on Sat, May 8, 2010, at 4:16 AM
  • All right you Clearwater doubters, they just shut out South Pem 1-0. South Pem threw Thompson and Clearwater's Morris struck out 14!

-- Posted by tooldogging on Sat, May 8, 2010, at 2:50 PM
  • Clearwater beat South Pem 1-0 and Cooter 6-1. Morris got the win against South Pem and Kirkpatrick got the win against Cooter.

-- Posted by RainmanC2010 on Sat, May 8, 2010, at 9:41 PM
  • I heard Thompson hit 91 and Morris hit 89 in this game. Is this true?

-- Posted by hardball on Sat, May 8, 2010, at 9:44 PM
  • Although SP has a stud pitcher, they aren't exactly a powerhouse or anything. I'm sure Clearwater is a very talented team, but beating South Pem 1-0 probably won't quiet any doubters, so to speak.

-- Posted by Bulldogs2010 on Sun, May 9, 2010, at 2:30 PM
  • Granted, Thompson is a great pitcher, but I don't see Clearwater's performance as something that will silence the doubters. They took advantage of a weak offense and beat a team only scoring 1 run. Not taking anything away from Morris, as he's a very good pitcher, but it wasn't exactly a tough offense he faced.

-- Posted by semobaseballfan on Sun, May 9, 2010, at 6:39 PM
  • semobaseballfan...how many other times has south pem been shut out this year? morris not facing a tough offense...he could have improved ..how? he allowed no runs on 3 hits with 14 k's. i guess a no hitter could have improved it. But you know what...a wins a win.

-- Posted by hardball on Sun, May 9, 2010, at 8:02 PM
  • hardball

Malden has a better offense than South Pemiscot. However, South Pemiscot has better pitching. But Clearwater will play better teams in the state playoffs. I left Cooter on Saturday with the opinion Clearwater is the best team I have seen this year. However, don't count your shrimp before you eat the shrimp tails. Clearwater will play better teams in the state playoffs. South Pemiscot is a No. 4 seed in their district with an outstanding ace.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, May 9, 2010, at 8:25 PM
  • Actually that should be don't count your shrimp tails before you eat the shrimp but you get the idea.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, May 9, 2010, at 8:41 PM
  • We at Clearwater don't count on anything. the boys are taking it one game at a time. They consider the 2 teams they played this weekend (south pem /cooter) very, very talented teams, and had a great time at cooter on saturday. Nobody at Clearwater is looking past anything , we have twin rivers this week, THAT is the game were focusing on.

-- Posted by hardball on Sun, May 9, 2010, at 8:50 PM
  • Twin Rivers will be a big game for Clearwater this week. I may make the drive up. However, it's a really long drive for me. Cooter and South Pemiscot are talented. They are both ranked in drawmules largest top 10 rankings for Southeast Missouri small schools.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, May 9, 2010, at 9:04 PM
  • 1-0 ain't really gonna shut up any doubters. Did S. Pem have any chances to score? Any way you gotta tip your cap to a team beating quality opposition, playing to get better and not trying to protect their perfect record.

you know it

-- Posted by thesmartestpersonyoudon'tknow on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 8:38 AM
  • To all you Clearwater doubters,

Clearwater has been good in the past, they have pumped out many good athletes like Jamie MaCallister and Andy Moss just to name a few.

But this year they have a amazing team with amazing talent and team work.

They are 42 and 1

yes South Pem. has a good ace and a weak defence but how many times have South Pem. been shut out while Thompson was on the mound ???

None because he is a amazing pitcher.

Clearwater is a respectful team, they even say a prayer before every game. Not very many teams do that.

You guys can either keep dissing on them or respect them because that are a great team this year or keep doubting and hope they lose because your team cant compete to their high standards

-- Posted by dogslife on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 10:19 AM
  • what is South Pem's record this spring??

-- Posted by RedShirt on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 10:26 AM
  • I think South Pem has about a .500 record this spring. I even think Thompson has a losing record with a era just above 1. So beating South Pem isnt really a game to shut the doubters up

-- Posted by jamestheman2020 on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 10:43 AM
  • Sorry if this has already been asked or mentioned, but does anyone know a box score for the South Pem/Clearwater game? I would like to know it before I comment on this Clearwater win.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 11:47 AM
  • dogslife

I agree with what you said about Clearwater being very talented and an amazing team. However, I don't really think anyone is "dissing" them, just questioning whether or not they are a great team. In my opinion, when people say a team isn't as good as they really are, it just adds feul to that team's fire and makes them even more hungry for a state championship to silence their critics. Also, I didn't really understand what you meant by "how many times has South Pem been shut out while Thompson was on the mound? None, because he is an amazing pitcher."

I agree that he is an amazing pitcher (although I have never seen him pitch), but what does him being an amazing pitcher have to do with South Pem's offense never being shut out on the days he pitches? I don't think I understand what you're meaning.

-- Posted by sportsaholic on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 3:52 PM
  • I do not know how you all can dog Clearwater if you do not know who they play. They have beaten Bernie (10 runned them), Poplar Bluff, Cooter, South Pem., Licking, Neelyville, West County, and they won the Fredericktown wood bat tournament. I don't know, but that sounds pretty good to me!This is Clearwater's year!

-- Posted by tooldogging on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 3:59 PM
  • talked to a guy who knows and thompson only hit over 90 a couple of times, with 91 the fastest. morris never got over 86. heard both were very good.

-- Posted by roll tide roll on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 4:38 PM
  • tooldogging

Poplar Bluff is the No. 8 seed in their district. Neelyville is the No. 5 seed in their district. South Pemiscot is the No. 4 seed in their district.

These teams do not compare to a Valle Catholic, Malden or Scott City.

I think Clearwater is the favrorite to advance to the state quarterfinals. However, without watching Valle Catholic play this season, I cannot project with 100 percent confidence Clearwater will advance past the state quarterfinals. If they try to save their ace for Valle Catholic they may run into trouble in the sectionals. However, the ultimate goal is to advance to state. They may have to gamble in the sectional to improve their chances of winning the state quarterfinals.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 5:46 PM
  • Kirkpatrick can beat any one of those teams in sectionals.

-- Posted by RainmanC2010 on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 6:09 PM
  • I won't disagree with that RainmanC2010. However, I won't deny Malden is a better hitting team than most of the teams I have seen this spring.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 6:12 PM
  • Malden lost to Kennett 4-3 with Bazzell on the mound. Could Clearwater play Kennett to one run without their ace on the mound? I don't know the answer to this question. But I just think it's worth pointing out Malden may be better than most people think they are this season. I was shocked Malden won the Malden Tournament and I was shocked Malden played Kennett to one run and beat Senath in the semifinals of the Bootheel Conference Tournament with Horvath on the mound. They scored 10 runs against Senath. I think at some point we have to stop being shocked and recognize Malden might be pretty good. Nevertheless, South Pemiscot beat Malden with Thompson on the mound once this season and if they can put Thompson on the mound in the district semifinals they might do it again. Any thoughts?

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 6:16 PM
  • So did Malden not pitch their ace against Kennett?

-- Posted by RainmanC2010 on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 6:18 PM
  • Boxscore on the South Pem/Clearwater anyone? Anyone?

-- Posted by GreatFun on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 6:20 PM
  • All I know is Murphy pitched against Senath. I don't know if they brought him back the next day against Kennett. I doubt it. But I didn't attend the game. There was an article written on this game.

I'm sure a box score is included. CRADER do you have a link to the Kennett / Malden article?

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 6:20 PM
  • Malden also scored 8 runs against Bernie. Malden beat Twin Rivers.

Malden might be the most underrated No. 1 seed in a district tournament in Southeat Missouri.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 6:25 PM
  • Malden also beat Cooter twice. The score of the first game was 7-6. The score of the second game was 9-5.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 6:28 PM
  • Clearwater scored 12 runs against Bernie. Clearwater plays Twin Rivers this thursday at Clearwater.

-- Posted by RainmanC2010 on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 6:29 PM
  • Yea but Bernie didn't use a different pitcher in the Malden game.

Malden may not even get out of their district. However, if they get out of their district they will be tough to beat if they can put their ace on the mound against Clearwater.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 6:34 PM
  • Bernie used a different pitcher in the Malden game. (Typo above)

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 6:35 PM
  • RainmanC2010

I'll have Clearwater ranked above Malden in my final small school rankings this Friday. However, Malden has been sneaking up on everybody this season. Trust me. They are a legitimate team. They play Bernie on Wednesday. It might be a great day to scout Malden. I anticipate Malden will have a great shot against Bernie in the rematch.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 6:37 PM
  • I agree that this Clearwater/South Pem game was an intriguing barometer on the evaluation of Clearwater. I have not seen this Thompson kid pitch at all. I would love to know how many strikeouts he averages per game, and consequently, how many he had against Clearwater? Realizing the Clearwater kid struckout alot of South Pem players, and obviously had a shutout, I am more interested in how a top team like Clearwater did against a pitcher like Thompson? Obviously not great since they only scored 1 run, but how many Clearwater batters K'd? How many left on base? Errors?

Any details would be appreciated.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 6:45 PM
  • I think Thompsons had 14 k's, gave up 2 hits and walked 2

-- Posted by jamestheman2020 on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 8:37 PM
  • Hmmm, if that is true I guess my opinion is that I would have expected a top ranked school to have fared better than that. If you are solid up and down the lineup like I hear they are, I wouldn't expect to only eek out 2 hits and whiff 14 times. Just sayin'. What are other impressive strikeout performances from Thompson this year, and against whom, if anyone knows?

-- Posted by GreatFun on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 8:50 PM
  • GreatFun

Thompson dominated Malden. Malden scored three runs agains Bazzell and one run against Thompson.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 8:55 PM
  • Has Thompson signed to play college baseball? If so, what college did he sign with? This may have already been discussed on here, but if it has, I didn't catch it. Anyone know about Thompson's plans for the future?

-- Posted by sportsaholic on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 8:59 PM
  • Draw, any idea how many K's Thompson had against Malden? Hits allowed?

Sportsholic, I think someone did say where Thompson is going but I cannot recall. It is in one of these threads though.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 9:04 PM
  • JEFCO I think. I'm not sure on the spelling. I've just heard it pronounced that way. It's in the St. Louis area.

However, sources tell me Murray State has shown some interest in recent weeks.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 9:05 PM
  • Oh that must be Jefferson College, it is in Hillsboro I believe.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 9:06 PM
  • Clearwater had 3 hits and struck out 13 times against thompson. Not a lot of difference but these were the stats. clearwater also won a game against cooter on saturday. 6-1.

-- Posted by hardball on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 9:10 PM
  • Thanks hardball. That is what I was looking for. That is a real feather in Thompson's hat to whiff 13 batters and only give up 3 hits to this team everyone raves about. Good for him.

I wonder what Thompson's high strikeout game this year was?

Speaking of strikeouts, and off topic, but back in about 1989-1990 a guy for Cape Central named Steve Goodman was a good pitcher. During American Legion summer ball he fanned 21, yep you read it right, a whopping 21 Festus batters, and Festus was a really good team themselves. Well over .500 for sure. Incredible feat. Oh, yes, it was a 9 inning game, not 7!

-- Posted by GreatFun on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 9:15 PM
  • Thanks drawmules and greatfun.

Is JEFFCO a 2-year or 4-year college? It maybe makes sense if it is a junior college more than if it is a four year college so Thompson can enter the draft sooner. This has been discussed in terms of Stevens of Bernie as far as why he is going to a junior college program in Florida. It seems like they are both elite pitchers, and I was just thinking they are possibly both trying to take a quicker route to the draft. Any thoughts? What about Logan Morris? Are there many scouts looking at him this year even though he is just a junior?

-- Posted by sportsaholic on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 9:35 PM
  • Jeff Co is a junior college, two-year. Your other questions I do not have answers for.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 9:37 PM
  • Morris is one of the best pitchers I have seen this year. He should draw attention from scouts this summer or next year. He has great movement on his pitches.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 10:54 PM
  • Thompson has fared well in every outting he has pitched in. Against Kennett he struck out 11 and took the loss 2-1. When he threw against malden he had 13 stike outs and think and gave up 1 hit and 0 runs.

-- Posted by jamestheman2020 on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 10:59 PM
  • I think his high in stike outs was against Portageville and he stuck out 17

-- Posted by jamestheman2020 on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 11:03 PM
  • He's a good pitcher.

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, May 11, 2010, at 12:01 AM
  • Yes, I am getting the idea that Thompson is a VERY good pitcher, but that is why I asked about his strikeout performances against other teams this year. For 13 Clearwater batters to strikeout against him and muster only 2 hits, well, Kennett is a solid club and they fared better against him than Clearwater hitters. Malden, also a very good club, looks like they were the equivalent to Clearwater's hitters as well. I am sure that Thompson was really pumped and adrenaline flowing against the top ranked team in Class 2, but I would have expected a couple more hits and a few less strikeouts. But I think I might be splitting hairs here. Sorry.

But in the post season playoffs, there may be more Thompson like pitchers out there. Yeah yeah, I know, everybody probably doesn't think so, but you cannot live too much of a sheltered life people. Trust me, there are more Thompson like pitchers out there at some school you have not even heard of. Does anyone know about any pitchers from up around St. Joseph in Class 2? I doubt it. They've got strong boys who work hard just like the Bootheel teams.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Tue, May 11, 2010, at 8:34 AM
  • So Malden got 10 runned by Bernie?

-- Posted by RainmanC2010 on Wed, May 12, 2010, at 10:49 PM
  • Yes and after the first Bernie / Malden game I am confident some Bernie fans really enjoyed watching it RainmanC2010.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, May 12, 2010, at 11:22 PM
  • So thats gotta say something about Malden.

-- Posted by RainmanC2010 on Wed, May 12, 2010, at 11:30 PM
  • Perhaps. But Malden has a tendency to sneak up on teams. I cannot explain this. They just do it. Malden has some really good wins. Malden beat Cooter twice, Bernie once, Senath once, and Twin Rivers once. Malden has a left handed pitcher they will likely use against Clearwater if they win their district. Malden should be ranked below Clearwater. But I'm not counting this team out. They have surprised me too many times already.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, May 12, 2010, at 11:42 PM
  • Clearwater has beat all of those teams except for Senath but they havent played them this year. And they get the chance to beat Twin Rivers again today.

-- Posted by RainmanC2010 on Thu, May 13, 2010, at 10:21 AM
  • Which they did 12-1.

-- Posted by RainmanC2010 on Thu, May 13, 2010, at 8:31 PM
  • They get another shot at Twin Rivers in the Sectional game should be good.

-- Posted by chstigers on Wed, May 19, 2010, at 10:58 PM
  • Well there is no south pem or malden matchup are they going to move down your small school rankings now??

-- Posted by chstigers on Wed, May 19, 2010, at 10:58 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: