High School Baseball Forum: Intensity Increases as High School Baseball Playoffs Approach

Posted by drawmules on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 12:11 AM:

The semoball forums are hotter than the asphalt on a July afternoon in Texas as we approach the state baseball playoffs.

Here are a few of the hot topics that have been discussed in recent days:

1) Public vs. private schools

2) Should Scott County Central be seeded above Chaffee in districts?

3) The Stoddard County All-Tournament Baseball Team

4) Next year's state basketball playoff contenders

The playoffs have a tendency to bring out the best in all of us. It's no secret I absolutely love the intensity, emotion and excitement that surrounds the playoffs. Baseball is meant to be an emotional game and as long as we don't let our emotions get the best of us I'm all for an emotional ending to the high school baseball season.

But before every good conclusion you must have a good preview. I think it is a time we take a closer look at Class 1, Class 2 and Class 3.

Class 1:

The Bernie Mules are the odds-on favorite to advance to the state final four in Class 1 this season.

But the odds may not be that good for any Class 1 team in Southeast Missouri this season. I've never seen a season where so many teams have a chance to advance to state in Class 1. Holcomb's 4-3 win over Bernie on Thursday evening gives so many Class 1 teams hope in the state playoffs.

Here is a list of the teams I believe have a chance to advance to state in Class 1: Bernie, Cooter, Chaffee, Oran, Holcomb, Risco, Oak Ridge, Couch and Bismarck

I believe Bernie has the best chance to advance to state in Class 1. However, they may also have the toughest road to state. There is a good chance Bernie will have to beat four of the nine teams on the list I have provided above. The records I have researched indicate Bernie has NEVER advanced to the state final four in baseball. If they do it this season it won't be because they played weak competition in state playoffs.

Class 2:

The Clearwater Tigers are undefeated in Class 2. Some may be convinced Clearwater's pitching depth guarantees the Tigers a spot in the state final four.

However, history repeats itself my friends.

Senath's Heath Horvath defeated Clearwater in the state sectionals last year. Senath then lost a state quarterfinal game to the eventual Class 2 state champion, Valle Catholic. In the fall, Twin Rivers defeated Clearwater. The Malden Greenwave have wins against Senath and Twin Rivers this season. And the South Pemiscot Bulldogs may have the best Class 2 pitcher in Southeast Missouri.

Are you getting my point? It's the playoffs. The Clearwater Tigers are the favorite to advance to the state sectionals. However, there is no guarantee Clearwater will advance past the state sectionals. Clearwater will likely have to beat the defending state champion in the state quarterfinals if they pick up a win in the state sectionals. Can they do it? Absolutely! But don't count your shrimp tails before you eat the shrimp.

Class 3:

The Notre Dame Bulldogs, Dexter Bearcats and Kennett Indians have very talented teams this season.

However, Notre Dame could have a significant advantage in the district tournament.

Notre Dame is likely to receive the No. 1 seed in this district. As a result, Kennett and Dexter will likely receive the No. 2 and No. 3 seeds. Kennett and Dexter should meet in the semifinals. I anticipate Kennett and Dexter will throw their aces against each other in the semifinals while Notre Dame will have the luxury of saving their ace for the district championship.

I would really like Kennett's chances of upsetting Notre Dame if Kennett can put their ace on the mound in the district championship. Why? Because I watched the first game and I left the game with the opinion Kennett should have won the game. Kennett had runners at second and third with nobody out and never scored. They lost the game 4-3.

Both teams are very talented. However, Notre Dame will have an advantage if they are placed in the top of the bracket and Kennett and Dexter meet in the bottom part of the bracket before the district finals.

I WILL ATTEND MY FIRST DISTRICT TOURNAMENT GAME IN APPROXIMATELY 202 HOURS. I HOPE THIS GIVES ME ENOUGH TIME TO FIND MY FOUR-LEAF CLOVER. I'M SLIGHTLY DISAPPOINTED IN MY RABBIT'S FOOT AFTER THE WAY THE STATE BASKETBALL PLAYOFFS ENDED THIS SEASON.

Share your thoughts semoball fans. Drawmules time on semoball will end immediately following the conclusion of the state baseball playoffs. I'm confident my critics may have a pizza party when the screen name finally disappears from the forums. However, for those of you that enjoy talking to me and listening to my opinions try to visit semoball frequently in upcoming weeks. I promise I will attend the state baseball final four regardless of which teams from Southeast Missouri advance to the state final four. I've never attended the state baseball final four in Missouri. This could be my last chance. As a result, I've already booked nonrefundable reservations at a motel that was built in 1938 that Elvis stayed at frequently during his prime. I'll see you in Springfield my friends!

Replies (41)

• draw you really are betting on bernie making it arent you lol

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 8:04 AM
  • drawmules

You predicting Bernie is a good prediction. I'm with you. This group of kids knows playoff and State atmosphere and they will be ready.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 8:12 AM
  • Ahh yes, post season in small school baseball can be REALLY crazy. I haven't looked at the locations of the games, but one more factor that often comes into play is that with some of these really small schools it is not unusual to have some really strange field dimensions! I remember years ago that Bismarck had a super short fence, as have MANY other schools which can play into one teams advantage on a windy day. A team can get rewarded for being a pop fly hitting team just like that. Oak Ridge was another one, but that was years ago. Not sure if they still have the same field or not. I am sure someone out there can tell me.

On that topic, how about anyone out there sharing some dimensions on some of these fields???? Are there any fields out there with a 285 down the line or something crazy like that????

I also agree, Kennett certainly has the capability to clip ND on this third time around IF they both make it to the finals. The old phrase, "It's hard to beat a good team 3 times," rings very, very true.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 9:14 AM
  • Chaffee is a legit big league park except for about a 30-40 short porch to dead center. Orans tiny bernies tiny delta tiny scc tiny advance tiny...

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 9:35 AM
  • Like "How tiny? Curious. Specifically, how tiny is Bernie?

-- Posted by GreatFun on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 9:40 AM
  • All I know is Chaffee is 330 down both lines 365 in the gaps but center field cuts in like a v with the point being 350 although the fence is quite high there.. Bernie is 270 down the lines and 300-310 in the gaps.. It'd be a nice field for a 13 year old league

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 9:54 AM
  • Hey draw, if you get a chance tonight come over to Sikeston and get two for your money. At 4:00, Sikeston will take on South Pemiscot. Following that game, Dexter and Notre Dame will resume the suspended game. The score is tied 0-0 in the top of the 3rd with Cody Stause and Colton Young on the mound. Should be a good one.

-- Posted by Luke11 on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 9:57 AM
  • Wow, that is a sad excuse for a fence, 270??? Is it due to physically not being able to move the fence back because of private land behind it, a building, etc? IF a school CAN actually move a fence to make it more legitimate I think that they should try to do so. Notice I said IF they can. I would not by any means expect a school to relocate a field just to make the fence dimensions legitimate.

Cool, Stause and Young hooking up today? That will shed some light on the other thread about top pitchers in the area!

-- Posted by GreatFun on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 10:27 AM
  • Luke11

Why are Dexter and Notre Dame playing in Sikeston?

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 12:18 PM
  • Great Fun

If Bernie moved their fence back the high school students wouldn't have anywhere to park their vehicles during school. I agree the fence is too short. But the field is one of the nicest around with the exception of the dimensions.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 12:54 PM
  • Oak Ridge is 305 down both lines and 345 to center.

-- Posted by jswonger on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 1:25 PM
  • jswonger

I really hope Oak Ridge wins their district. I really don't want to have to drive to Bismarck for the state quarterfinals. LOL. I would much rather drive to Oak Ridge.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 1:28 PM
  • The only thing worse than driving to Bismarck might be driving to Viburnum. Viburnum is the No. 3 seed in this district. How long would it take Bernie, Chaffee or Oran to get to Viburnum?

GO OAK RIDGE!!!

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 1:33 PM
  • Viburnum is 134 miles from Bernie and Chaffee and 146 miles from Oran. I might add Viburnum residents built their town right in the middle of the Mark Twain National Forest.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 1:42 PM
  • Bernie has tried to accomidate some by making the left field fence 20' high, center field & right field are 12'. the 12' high part is new this year as it was 6'. i know it didn't help alot but no way to move the fence really.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 2:12 PM
  • The reason i was told the Dexter, Notre Dmae got moved to Sikeston is because their J.V. are playing the SEMO Conv Tourny there and they decided to finish the game after J.V. gets done

-- Posted by baseballnut on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 2:25 PM
  • Nice little tidbit about Bernie's fence. If you can't move it then at least you can do that (make it taller).

-- Posted by GreatFun on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 3:33 PM
  • GreatFun

they already made the fence three times as tall as a normal fence.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 9:02 PM
  • I understand Bernie hits a lot of home runs. Are the players hitting legit homers (320+ feet) or are they just piling up the stats because of the short fence. I haven't seen them play much, and a home run is a home run. I was just wondering if they are usually dropping bombs over the 270 fences or if they just sneak over. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

-- Posted by sportsaholic on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 9:24 PM
  • Welch hits bombs, Owens hits bombs but not as much Stevens, Keasler, and Shelton are capable of this as well. i would say a majority are due to short fence but most are not.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 10:23 PM
  • sportsaholic, you're asking a good question but I would suggest that instead of asking Bernie folks for an answer, you should ask the teams that know them best, which would be Cooter, Campbell, So Pem, Senath, Bell City... All of those teams have had multiple games with Bernie, both home and away the last few years.

-- Posted by troll on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 11:12 PM
  • I'm glad Bernie's ability to hit homeruns / not hit homeruns is attracting attention LOL. Bernie has a good offensive team. However, offense may not win games in the state playoffs. It helps if neither team has a strong pitcher. However, the reason I believe Bernie has a chance to do something in the state playoffs this season is because they have pitching. This is what seperates Bernie from the other teams. Very few Class 1 teams have the pitching Bernie has this season. But there are a few other Class 1 teams that have one good pitcher and sometimes one pitcher is enough to win one game.

Bernie's ability / lack of ability to bunt in the state playoffs may be more valuable than their ability to hit homeruns. Bunting can win state playoff games. It's something several teams need to practice. It could be the difference in a 1-0 game. We will see a 1-0 game. Trust me we always do.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sat, May 8, 2010, at 12:49 AM

After Cape and Jackson split the first 2, any thoughts as to who will win round number 3 between Jackson and Cape in the Class 4 District 1 first round game?

-- Posted by cerebral1 on Sat, May 8, 2010, at 6:39 AM
  • Cape Central/Jackson Round 3 is a toss up but I give the nod to Jackson. Don't know who will be pitching though, which matters a great deal of course.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Sat, May 8, 2010, at 8:14 AM
  • Cooter has several good pitchers. Chaffee has several good pitchers.

Starting with the second round of Districts, it will depend on which team shows up ready to play.

-- Posted by troll on Sat, May 8, 2010, at 9:44 AM
  • Good point troll. I was directing my question at anyone who has seen Bernie play though. I've only seen them play once so I was just looking for anyone's opinion.

drawmules,

I agree that pitching is what is likely going to separate teams once it comes to the playoffs. That is the best against the best, and an excellent ace pitcher can take a team a long way especially in Class 1. However, any team can beat any team on any given day. That is one of the many things that makes baseball so great. It wouldn't surprise me to see a lot of upsets in this year's playoffs. I think a lot depends on which team gets hot at the right time, not necesarily which team has the better record. What do you think?

-- Posted by sportsaholic on Sat, May 8, 2010, at 11:07 AM
  • Perhaps. However, in recent years the really good Cooter and Oran teams have made it to state. I hope the really good Bernie team makes it this year. But Chaffee is loaded with talent.

I also think Chaffee may benefit from playing districts on their dirt infield. Bernie and Oran have grass infields. I think it is an advantage.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sat, May 8, 2010, at 1:05 PM
  • Thompson on the mound for South Pemiscot. Two K's in the top of The first for Thompson. No score heading to the bottom of the first

-- Posted by drawmules on Sat, May 8, 2010, at 1:26 PM
  • Why don't you look at who Clearwater has beaten, Bernie, Poplar Bluff, they won the Fredericktown wood bat tournament, and yes, they may have lost to Twin Rivers in the fall, but they then turned around and beat Twin Rivers to win the OFC tournament. If Clearwater beats Cooter and South Pem today, they will have to be the favorites.

-- Posted by tooldogging on Sat, May 8, 2010, at 2:26 PM
  • All right all you Clearwater doubters, they just shut out South Pem 1-0, Logan Morris struck out 14.

-- Posted by tooldogging on Sat, May 8, 2010, at 2:48 PM
  • tooldogging

I would love to see more Clearwater fans on this website. I'll be following Clearwater some in the state playoffs and will definitely be in attendance at the state final four. I'll share my thoughts on Clearwater in upcoming weeks. However, it would be great if we had insight from Clearwater fans.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sat, May 8, 2010, at 11:18 PM
  • funny statement about its hard to beat a team 3 times. Here's a good point. If your good enough to beat a team 2 out of 2 times then your good enough to beat a team 3 out of 3 times. its that simple. not a good quote. my opinion is the only the team that should make it to the final four this year is ND. The competition in southeast missouri is not that strong which will hurt the lower A teams past districts. No offense to any of the lower A teams. But theres not any really strong teams in the area 2A and below which hurts southeast missouri 1A and 2A teams in the playoffs. predictions. Festus 4A districts, ND 3A, 2A Twin Rivers, Clearwater, Scott City,1A Cooter, Oak Ridge

-- Posted by baseballsemo on Sun, May 9, 2010, at 12:17 AM
  • baseballsemo

Unless Couch or Bismarck makes it to state in Class 1 a team from Southeast Missouri will have to advance to state in Class 1. Oak Ridge and Cooter are in Class 1 and they are from Southeast Missouri.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, May 9, 2010, at 12:26 AM
  • After playing Clearwater last fall I had a few doubts about their squad. After yesterday there's no doubt they have a great shot a making it to the quarter final game. At that point, it becomes very difficult for every team, If Clearwater wins the sectional and Valle wins, the quarter final will be a Valle Catholic, (last years state champion). They also has a couple of "Tyler Thompson" like pitchers themselves in Geile "84-86" and Griminger 87-90. The Warriors also have great defense and can generate a run or two in a close game. Valle has a much tougher road as they must beat Crystal City (has defeated the Warriors in reg. season) in district and probably "my picks" Scott City or Charleston in the sectional.

Thanks to all the teams and fans that travel to Cooter on Saturday. Great day for baseball and I think the 3 teams benefited from the competition.

Everyone had a good time, except the sunburned folks who are probably miseable today!!!

FYI-The Cooter squad is traveling to Memphis today to watch the UAB Blazers take on the Memphis Tigers in the final game of 3 which started Friday. They have split the 1st 2 games.

As I've stated before, my grandson Nick plays 2nd base for the Blazers.

-- Posted by mac baseball on Sun, May 9, 2010, at 9:53 AM
  • Well, I said it is hard to beat a GOOD team 3 times. I don't think that will make a difference in your mind about the quality of my quote, but at least I don't want to be misquoted :o) You left out a pretty important word in my quote.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Sun, May 9, 2010, at 10:41 AM
  • Malden lost to Kennett 4-3 with Bazzell on the mound. Could Clearwater play Kennett to one run without their ace on the mound? I don't know the answer to this question. But I just think it's worth pointing out Malden may be better than most people think they are this season. I was shocked Malden won the Malden Tournament and I was shocked Malden played Kennett to one run and beat Senath in the semifinals of the Bootheel Conference Tournament with Horvath on the mound. They scored 10 runs against Senath. I think at some point we have to stop being shocked and recognize Malden might be pretty good. Nevertheless, South Pemiscot beat Malden with Thompson on the mound once this season and if they can put Thompson on the mound in the district semifinals they might do it again. Any thoughts?

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 6:18 PM
  • Figured this thread title was the most appropriate for this. I don't think I have ever read anything about Potosi on here, but they are highly ranked in Class 3. Does anyone know their record? I think back around April 20 they were 8-0. Would they play the winner of Kennett's district? If so, Potosi might be a team to watch out for.

I would love more info on them from anyone out there.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Thu, May 13, 2010, at 9:54 PM
  • I know that last Spring, Potosi really felt like they should have beaten ND. They have some good players, at least 3 really good hitters. They could be a handful, but like most everyone else, so much depends on the pitching.

-- Posted by troll on Thu, May 13, 2010, at 10:01 PM
  • GreatFun

The winner of the Kennett district would play AT the winner of the Potosi district in the state sectionals.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, May 13, 2010, at 10:35 PM
  • The tigers ran through there district, they are in two conferences and the black river league is weak they won the championship by 18 or so and in the OFC which is a tougher and well represented in district 1 and 2 class 2 ( Neelyville, Twin Rivers, Greenville, and Clearwater) were in their district championship... I am anxious to see how the sectional game goes this monday with more than likely stockton vs morris on the mound... The tigers beat up on stockton but i heard he was tired so he will have plenty of rest for monday so should be a good game. Also another fact in the fall stockton gave clearwater their only loss. Would be nice to see how they would hold up against Valle and lets face it they(VALLE) will be back in the quarterfinal game. Almost guranteed

-- Posted by chstigers on Wed, May 19, 2010, at 10:09 PM
  • Also for those of you who dont know what i meant by tigers i meant the Clearwater tigers....

-- Posted by chstigers on Wed, May 19, 2010, at 10:19 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: