High School Baseball Forum: Question for you baseball folks

Posted by Headhunt on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 1:55 AM:

I notice a comment that said of the ten pitchers in SEMO list of the ten best, all are plaiyng college ball? ALL of them ?

I wonder if you set up ten of the best SEMO QB's, could anyone say they will ALL be playing college ball?

I don't think even 1 would. Matter of fact other than a few kids, in all of SEMO High schools....only 4 have signed in football, 3 from NMCC and 1 from Sikeston. ( That I know of )

In baseball, there are 16 kids from SE MO that are already signed...( 23 if you stretch it to Farmington ) ...so are there that many more good baseball players?

Does SEMO not crank out good football prospects?

Anybody have any ideas?

I just find it odd that that many scholarhip players can year in year out come out of our area

in baseball.

Wide open to hearing theories......

Replies (12)

• Southeast Missouri football teams rarely win state tournaments. You might be on to something. But Hayti and NMCC have produced a few talented football players in the last decade. I don't know if SEMO is the strongest region of the state in baseball either. But I think SEMO teams perform better in baseball than football.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 2:52 AM
  • Headhunt

One reason is probably that there are 5 times as many high schools with a baseball team than there are with a football team in southeast missouri. There are a lot of small schools in SEMO, most small schools with the exception of Hayti just dont have a football program. I bet that high schools up around the St. Louis area have a lot of football teams and a lot more football players that get scholarships.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 6:40 AM
  • How many of the baseball scholarships are being offered by colleges that don't have football? In the past, I know we've sent a few kids to LaGrange and Blackburn. Do these schools even have football? I'm wondering if you don't simply have a scenario where a lot of small colleges that don't have many other sports are offering scholarships to athletes that aren't really getting looks from any of the bigger D1 schools. When is the last time a kid from SEMO went on scholarship to a collegiate baseball power? I can't recall any. Blake DeWitt was offered, but passed and went straight to the majors. Jake Priday went To MU. A power conference, thanks to the likes of Texas, A&M, OSU, etc - but I wouldn't consider Mizzou to be a baseball power by any means. So, I'm guessing you get a lot of quite small, local colleges offering scholarships to kids from quite small, local high schools. Just my two cents.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 8:01 AM
  • Rex meyer form Jackson to play at mizzou a few years ago and so did Matt Wulfers from notre dame a few years ago. Dylan Drury signed w West Virginia last year but transfered

-- Posted by ndsportsfan on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 8:19 AM
  • Thanks, ndsportsfan, but I think Headhunt was wondering why so many baseball players get schollies when football players don't. To me, getting a baseball scholarship from Mizzou or West Virginia is a far cry from getting a football scholarship from either of those schools.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 8:21 AM
  • I agree, the physicality of division 1 football seems to be a whole another level. I would imagine it is tougher to go division 1 in football than baseball.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 8:33 AM
  • Where did Dylan Drury transfer to??

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 8:33 AM

Hannibal LaGrange doesn't have football, football monkey. They have soccer, basketball, baseball, track, cross country, wrestling, swimming, and men's volleyball as far as men's sports are concerned. That's where I went and played on a soccer scholarship.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 10:02 AM

It's actually been geographically proven that more college and pro football players are produced from states in the south. Missouri is in a more geographic baseball and basketball freindly region. It Is actually one of the highest states for college basketball produced players. Missouri sets right on the border of the football region with a small part of the bootheel being included which actually supports drawmules comment about Haiti and New Madrid. But overall Missouri is just more in the baseball geographic area.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 10:33 AM
  • Just because football players are bigger doesn't mean getting a scholorship to a top d1 school for baseball is a "far cry" I think that's a lot of bias from a football fan. Think about it logically. You are still coming out of Hs playing against some of the best players in the nation. Just because u don't have to be 6'6 270 doesn't make it less of an achievement any way that u look at

-- Posted by ndsportsfan on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 12:12 PM
  • ndsports fan, I'm not talking about the athlete, I'm talking about the program. Which program is more elite at Mizzou, football or baseball? What about at West Virginia, football or baseball? What I am saying is, it is "harder" to get a football scholarship at either of these schools than a baseball scholarship. Just like it would be much harder to get a football scholarship to USC or Texas than it would to get a football scholarship to Iowa State. They are a "far cry" apart.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 4:00 PM
  • football monkey

Good point.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sat, Apr 24, 2010, at 1:07 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: