High School Baseball Forum: SEMO Baseball Rankings (Small & Large Schools Apr. 22)

Posted by drawmules on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 9:23 PM:

Why wait until after this weekend for new baseball rankings? It will probably rain anyway.

Here are my latest rankings:

Large School:

1. Notre Dame

2. Kennett

3. Dexter

4. Sikeston

T5. Cape Central

T5. Jackson

Small School:

1. Clearwater

2. Malden

3. Twin Rivers

4. Scott City

5. Charleston

6. Bernie

7. South Pemiscot

8. Cooter

9. Senath

T10. Holcomb

T10. Neelyville

T10. Chaffee

T10. Leopold

T10. Oak Ridge

Feel free to debate, criticize and offer your own rankings.

Replies (35)

• This is good, I agree with most of it. I dont know much about Holcomb but apparently they are doing well to make the top 10. The only argument that I could make is the fact that Neelyville beat South Pemiscot at Autozone Park 5-2 and Thompson pitched for South Pem. Therefore, knowing this I would have swapped those 2 in the rankings. Giving South Pem a 10 and Neelyville a 7. Neelyville also lost 6-3 to Clearwater. Not sure on the matchups as far as who pitched on that game though.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 9:35 PM
  • South Pemiscot may have lost to Neelyville but South Pemiscot is the only team to beat Malden. South Pemiscot has a pitcher that could beat any team in the rankings including Clearwater.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 9:42 PM
  • I won't deny that I am absolutely shocked Malden is ranked No. 2. I didn't see this one coming at the beginning of the season. Nevertheless, when you examine their record and their strength of schedule it is hard to rank anyone with the exception of Clearwater above Malden. Malden has wins against Holcomb, Bernie, Twin Rivers, Cooter, and East Prairie.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 9:48 PM
  • Yes, I agree with Malden being a No. 2. But Neelyville did beat Thompson. Also, Im not sold on saying that Thompson could beat Clearwater. Especially if Morris were to pitch against him. Clearwater has just as good if not better hitters than Neelyville. Therefore, if Neelyville beat Thomspon then Clearwater is capable of doing so as well. Granted Thompson may have just had an off day against Neelyville. Nevertheless, you get my point.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 10:01 PM
  • baseballfan2010

I haven't watched Neelyville this spring. Neelyville did beat Bernie in the fall. However, I'm unsure if Neelyville belongs ahead of any other teams. But it sounds like you are very impressed with Neelyville. I'll try to drive out to Neelville and take a look soon. I still need to get to Scott City and Leopold also. I'll get my first at Leopold on Tuesday when Leopold travels to Bernie. Bernie also travels to Neelyville on Thursday.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 10:11 PM
  • Neelyville has 3 pretty solid pitchers. Sheldon Edmundson, Jeremy Young, and Austin Russom. Anytime any of them 3 are on the mound, your team should have a good chance to win. Neelyville's # 3 pitcher could easily be an ace on a lot of different high school teams in the area.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 10:36 PM
  • Does anyone have a Neelyville baseball schedule?

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 10:40 PM
  • Neelyville is 8-5. They have losses to Senath, Malden, Twin Rivers, Clearwater and South Pemiscot.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 10:45 PM
  • Actually they are 7-5.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 10:47 PM
  • I forgot about the loss to South Pem earlier in the season. That means they have split with South Pem this season. Im surprised they are 7-5. They seem to have a lot of potential.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 10:51 PM
  • Neelyville has a complete box score of every game they have played this season on their school website at this link http://neelyville.k12.mo.us/athletics/baseball/springschedule.htm

Pretty cool.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 10:57 PM
  • Click on the score of a specific game to see a box score for that game.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 10:57 PM
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe both Jackson and Cape beat Sikeston.

I think Sikeston beat Kennett also.

-- Posted by thepurpleturtle on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 12:35 AM
  • I'm sure just about everybody have beat everybody unless you are Clearwater.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 1:53 AM
  • I think this year that the road to state will continue for Clearwater until they reach Valle Catholic. I have not seen Valle Catholic play but I know that they are the defending Class 2 state champions and from what I understand, they have a lot coming back this year.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 6:59 AM
  • I think oak ridge should be 10 A instead of 10 E. I guess we'll have to earn it.

-- Posted by jswonger on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 7:45 AM
  • Everyone on the list can beat each other on any given day. Thats why you rank them.

Is Malden 2A or 3 A in baseball???

-- Posted by tlks2much on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 8:19 AM
  • I agree with tlks2much. All the teams in the rankings can beat each other. However, Clearwater is probably in a class alone. This doesn't make Clearwater unbeatable. But Clearwater is very good. I'll take a look at Valle Catholic later this season. I've already booked motel rooms for the state baseball playoffs in Springfield. I plan on attending all the Class 1, Class 2, Class 3 and Class 4 games. I think there is a good chance I will see Valle Catholic in Springfield. However, I am going to try to get a look at them before the state final four.

Jswonger there is no 10A or 10 E. When you are tied for 10th you are tied for 10th.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 11:46 AM
  • Sorry Draw, i was trying to be facetious, dosn't come through very well on the net. Just happy to get some consideration.

-- Posted by jswonger on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 12:36 PM
  • Correct purpleturtle, but Sikeston beat Kennett, Bluff, and Scott City. All three of those beat Jackson, and I believe two of them beat Cape.

Sikeston also has a better record than both of those teams. I think the rankings are pretty accurate. Sikeston,Jackson,Cape,and Dexter may all play each other in the tourney, so we will have a better guage then.

-- Posted by Bulldogs2010 on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 12:45 PM
  • Twin Rivers also has a win against Morris and Clearwater. And a 1 run loss to Kirkpatrick though.

-- Posted by semo-dude on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 5:44 PM
  • Actually...if I remember correctly, when Morris came out of that Twin Rivers/Clearwater game, Clearwater was up by 2 runs.

-- Posted by hardball on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 6:40 PM
  • No, I don't think so, I think it was tied 6-6 when both started, or 7-7. TR only scored one run off of Kirkpatrick. If I remeber correctly

-- Posted by semo-dude on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 6:44 PM
  • I believe that Clearwater and Twin Rivers is one of the greatest rivalrys in all of high school baseball in southeast missouri.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 6:50 PM
  • I'm a Clearwater fan..that was one of the few losses we had n the fall,,so details I remember. Clearwater winning 6-5 against Twin Rivers. Kirkpatrick started the 7th with a one run lead.

-- Posted by hardball on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 6:53 PM
  • Didn't mean to affend hardball. you're right because Stockton stole home on Kirkpatrick. Then the next inning Ryan Nippe got the game winning hit. That's right?

-- Posted by semo-dude on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 7:05 PM
  • hardball

Call all your friends in Clearwater and tell the to create semoball accounts. Discussing high school sports on semoball is awesome.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 7:17 PM
  • Add Farmington to the list of teams Sikeston has beat that defeated Jackson. However, since everyone is beating each other,and Jackson beat Sikeston, the rankings really can't be set and stone.

-- Posted by Bulldogs2010 on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 9:08 PM
  • I agree Bulldogs2010.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 9:09 PM
  • up a few post I meant offend, not Affend

-- Posted by semo-dude on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 9:34 PM
  • Yea I believe that besides Notre Dame, the rankings are pretty much a toss-up (for large schools). The conference tourny will help out with that.

-- Posted by thepurpleturtle on Sat, Apr 24, 2010, at 12:14 AM
  • scc has never really had a good baseball team,didnt have a real coach,but this year we have one and have some quality wins against chaffee,charleston played oran good,could of went either way.should of beat meadow heights but terrible umpiring didnt allow that, not saying they are going anywhere this year but look out next year this team only has 1 senior that they will loose.they also beat bell city a pretty good team ,so other teams better not look past them or they might find themselves out of districts

-- Posted by kmasters on Sat, Apr 24, 2010, at 10:00 AM

I heard the umpiring was questionable at the SCC/Charleston game, too.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sat, Apr 24, 2010, at 10:41 AM
  • kmasters

I watched Scott County Central play Bernie. Bernie won the game easily. However, Bernie lost to Charleston and needed a homerun in the last inning to be Chaffee. I still believe Oran and Chaffee should be seeded ahead of Scott County Central. Here is how I would seed the teams right now:

1. Bernie

2. Chaffee

3. Oran

4. Scott County Central

5. Bell City

6. Delta

7. Advance

8. Richland

I seed Chaffee ahead of Oran because of Oran's injuries. However, if Oran gets healthy they are a big threat. Chaffee plays well against Bernie and will give Bernie problems. But Chaffee and Oran are the biggest threats in this district and deserve the No. 2 and No. 3 seeds.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sat, Apr 24, 2010, at 10:49 AM
  • Larry Doby

Would you agree Chaffee and Oran should be seeded ahead of Scott County Central?

-- Posted by drawmules on Sat, Apr 24, 2010, at 10:52 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: