High School Baseball Forum: Chaffee Baseball Tournament Schedule & Live Updates

Posted by drawmules on Tue, Apr 20, 2010, at 10:36 PM:

A few weeks ago I indicated I felt like the Malden Baseball Tournament was the best small school baseball tournament in Southeast Missouri. I doubt very seriously if I will make this comment again anytime soon.

I'm confident I will enjoy the Chaffee Baseball Tournament more than the Malden Baseball Tournament.

Here is a schedule for the tournament:

Friday:

3:00 p.m. Chaffee vs. Egyptian (at Chaffee)

3:30 p.m. Perryville vs. Oran (at Oran)

5:15 p.m. Dexter vs. Shawnee (at Chaffee)

7:30 p.m. Senath vs. Saxony Lutheran (at Chaffee)

Saturday

9:30 a.m. Semifinal #1 (at Chaffee)

9:30 a.m. Consolation Semifinal #1 (at Oran)

11:45 a.m. Semifinal #2 (at Chaffee)

11:45 a.m. Consolation Semifinal #2 (at Oran)

2:00 p.m. Seventh Place Game (at Oran)

2:00 p.m. Third Place Game (at Chaffee)

4:15 p.m. Consolation Championship (at Chaffee)

6:45 p.m. Championship (at Chaffee)

I would love scouting reports on Egyptian, Perryville and Shawnee. I know nothing about these teams. I think this tournament will be very good.

Replies (18)

• I'm curious if there will be good food in Chaffee at the concession stand? Is there a good place to eat in Chaffee? I know Oran always has good food at their tournaments.

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Apr 20, 2010, at 10:44 PM
  • They normally have dogs, brats, bbq sandwiches and burgers along with the usual popcorn, nachos and pretzels. As far as places to eat, Megs downtown is a good place to eat with a good menu.

-- Posted by deadred on Tue, Apr 20, 2010, at 11:12 PM
  • Well considering it will be a very long day I might have to eat at the concession stand and Megs.

deadred . . . The weather forecast for Saturday is not good at all. I'm definitely bringing my umbrella. Watching baseball games in the rain is fun!

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Apr 20, 2010, at 11:22 PM
  • It would be great to hear something about the teams in this tournament.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 12:04 PM
  • Drawmules,

You saw Bernie, Malden, Charleston and Cooter in the Malden Tournament. Other than Dexter, there is no other team in this Chaffee Tournment that can really play with those four teams. I really thought the Malden Tournament had a bunch of quality teams. It would have been a hole lot more interesting if Charleston would have been able to stay in the Tournament.

The Chaffee Tournament has really not changed that much in the teams in that currently in it. If you had to choose a sport that Egyptian, Shawnee and Chaffee are known for, people would diffently say their baseball program, but in the past 10 or so years they have really just been average at best. This tournament has a bunch of average teams nothing more than that.

-- Posted by indiantribe on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 6:20 PM
  • Rdbirdjunkie

Senath is good.

I bet the umpiring will be better in the Chaffee Tournament and I bet the playing conditions around second base will be safer and fortunately we already have a complete schedule for the tournament. I never saw a complete schedule for the Malden Tournament.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 6:36 PM
  • Although you may feel some of the teams are average, there will be some very good pitchers and players in these games which will make for an interesting tournament. This tournament has been in operation for many years and gives these teams a chance to play teams they don't normally play during the season. I remember watching the first round game last year between Shawnee and Seneth and it was 0-0 in the 7th inning with 2 very good pitchers on the mound. Clay Murphy (now at MO State) was pitching for Shawnee and I'm sorry to say I don't remember the pitcher for Seneth. If you're a baseball fan, it does not get any better than a 0-0 game pitchers duel in the 7th inning.

Will be a fun weekend of baseball, weather permitting.

-- Posted by deadred on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 6:57 PM
  • deadred

I think the Chaffee Tournament is a better tournament for a number of reasons. One thing that makes this tournament better is the teams will be in bracket instead of three team pools that have ridiculous tie breaker rules.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the Chaffee School would never hire anyone from Chaffee to umpire the championship game of the tournament. This also makes the tournament a better tournament than some of the other tournaments in Southeast Missouri.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 8:52 PM
  • I will also add I think playing three games in two days is better than playing four games in two days for small schools. Most small schools simply do not have enough pitching to play four games in two days.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 8:58 PM
  • I hope some provides score updates and schedule changes if necessary on this thread. I'll be in Chaffee on Saturday weather permitting.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 2:43 PM
  • I don't want to scare anybody but the county Chaffee is located in, Scott County, has just been placed under a Tornado Watch until 3 a.m. I've received reports trees 12 to 14 inches in diameter are down in the Walnute Ridge, Ark. area. The storm prediction center has moved the moderate risk area farther north for tonight and tommorow. As a result, the threat for severe weather has increased. More activity is forecasted after midnight. I may start a thread about the severe weather on the Southeast Missourian's homepage. I will be up all night if severe weather is present in Southeast Missouri.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 6:58 PM
  • Chaffee beat Egyptian 17-4 in first game.

Second game was suspended due to lightening in the top of 7th with Dexter beating Shawnee 6-1. I don't think the game will resume and the games tomorrow are in doubt with the forcast.

-- Posted by deadred on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 7:12 PM
  • deadred

The reports being sent out by the National Weather Service are indicating we could see two to three rounds of severe weather in the next 12 to 18 hours. Some of the storms could be capable of producing tornadoes.

When do you anticipate the tournament will be played if it is not completed on Saturday?

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 7:15 PM
  • From past history, if they are unable to play on Saturday, the tournament will not be made up. Too hard getting all the teams back together again this late in the year.

-- Posted by deadred on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 8:14 PM
  • Gosh. It's still April.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 9:25 PM
  • deadred

Please post if the tournament will not be played on Saturday.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 9:25 PM
  • drawmules - I spoke with the Shawnee Baseball Coach via text message this morning and he told me that all games (Chaffee Tourney) were cancelled today.

-- Posted by JMAC1 on Sat, Apr 24, 2010, at 7:44 AM
  • Thanks JMAC1.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sat, Apr 24, 2010, at 9:18 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: