High School Baseball Forum: Week of Apr. 19 Baseball Scores

Posted by drawmules on Sun, Apr 18, 2010, at 7:32 PM:

I doubt if any of the games I attend this week will be as controversial as one of the games I attended last week. The championship game of the Malden Tournament between Bernie and Malden had one of the most controversial calls in the history of high school baseball.

This week I will attend at least three games. I will attend the Bernie / Senath game on Monday, a Stoddard County Tournament semifinal game on Tuesday and the Stoddard County Tournament Championship on Thursday. I may also attend a game on Friday.

Post baseball scores on this thread as the week progresses.

Join me on the professional sports forums tonight to discuss the Cardinals / Mets game. The game started at 7:10 p.m. I should be on Cardinals / Mets thread for most of the game.

Look for a special thread debating whether Bernie should drop Malden from their schedule AGAIN later tonight. The thread will briefly discuss the Bernie / Malden history over the last decade and list reasons why the two schools should and should not continue to play each other. You won't want to miss this thread even if you are not from Bernie or Malden. I'll give it a PG-13 rating.

Replies (144)

• Hey draw, explain what was so controversial about the call. Just want to know what happened and how it affected the game. I've read a lot about it but don't know the situation and the play that occurred. Thanks

-- Posted by coachpanther on Sun, Apr 18, 2010, at 9:49 PM
  • Here is my version of the call . . .

In the sixth inning Owens was at the plate with the bases loaded and two outs. Owens hit a fly ball to right. A Malden player dove for the ball. From my vantage point, I felt like the ball clearly rolled out of the player's glove or bounced off of the player's glove. It is my understanding the original call was the ball was not caught. The call was overturned by an umpire on the other side of the field. In my opinion, it is one of the worst calls I've ever seen at a high school baseball game. Unfortunately, we do not have instant replay in high school baseball and I do not have a film. Therefore, there is no way to prove it. If the call would have involved any other team besides Bernie I would have offered the same description of the call.

Here is another fan's version . . .

" . . . I'm with draw I witnessed the worst call in high school baseball history. A ball was hit to right field, Malden's fielder catches the ball and then the ball rolls out of his glove about a foot and an half, he then scoops the ball up a comes up throwing as if he was attempting to throw somebody out throwing toward home I believe. The play was originally called a hit by the 1st base umpire. Players advanced and 2 runs scored, then the 3rd base umpire walks over and calls the hit an out after the play is nearly over. I thought the home plate umpire should have ruled that the 1st base umpire clearly had the advantage and took his official ruling. It also seemed that the umpire was very tight with his strike zone cleary one of the tightest I have seen in some time. Malden's coach has done an excellent job with his team and deserves a 1st place decision."

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Apr 18, 2010, at 9:55 PM
  • coachpanther

We had three umpires in this game if that helps eliminate confusion about why there was a first base umpire, third base umpire and home plate umpire.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Apr 18, 2010, at 9:59 PM
  • Well good thing it wasn't my team on the field. In no way can he, the 3rd base ump, make that call. They would have had to drag me off that field kicking and screaming. If I were Berine's coach I would have called MSHSAA from the dugout. Also with a three man crew and two outs the 1st base ump should go to the outfield to be sure. Most umps fight for there call. Was the 1st base ump young and feel intimidated by the 3rd base ump. I agree the home plate ump has blame also because he should have said the original call stands. Thanks for shedding light on the subject and I hope everyone enjoys another great week of high school baseball.

-- Posted by coachpanther on Sun, Apr 18, 2010, at 10:17 PM
  • The only umpire in this game that should have been assigned to the championship game was the home plate umpire. The home plate umpire is a good umpire. I do not think the other umpires should have been assigned to the championship game. Nevertheless, you have to know the history behind the Bernie / Malden rivalry. It's not unusual for events like this to transpire in Bernie / Malden games. Dexter's head coach was in attendance. You might ask him what his opinion of the call was if you know him well.

I'm awaiting approval to create a forum thread about the history in Bernie / Malden games. However, the thread will only be created if I receive approval because it will be controversial.

I agree I would have thrown a fit as a coach. I think it is acceptable for coaches to get thrown out of a high school game about 1% of the time. I think this call fell into the 1% category. However, there are severe penalties for getting thrown out of games at some schools and Bernie had an interim coach on Saturday. I didn't think about it at the time. However, I remember a few years ago Risco's coach pulled his team off the basketball court and refused to finish the game. I'm not sure it would have been unacceptable for Bernie to refuse to play the remainder of this game considering the circumstances. I'm sure MSHSAA would say yes and I believe coaches are required to drive to Columbia and explain to MSHSAA why their team did not finish a game in some situations. Nevertheless, I would have got a great deal of satisfaction out of making the drive if I were the coach. But I'm not criticizing the coaches for handling the situation they way they did but I would have supported the coaches if they would have protested the call using extreme measures.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Apr 18, 2010, at 10:38 PM
  • I might add sometimes you have to use common sense when you make calls. When all of the Malden players are frantically scrambling to get the ball back in and get the ball to home plate it is a good indication the outfielder did not catch the ball. I don't even think it was a debatable call. It was obvious the player did not catch the ball. The Malden players looked shocked when the call was reversed.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Apr 18, 2010, at 11:00 PM
  • Sorry semoball visitors. There will be no special thread debating whether Bernie should drop Malden from their schedule TONIGHT. I have the 653 word thread completed. However, I am going to have to consult with mass media professionals before I post the thread. Keep visiting the website for farther updates.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 12:15 AM
  • Here is a link to the Stoddard County Baseball Tournament http://www.bernie.k12.mo.us/admin/2010%20SCAA%20Baseball%20Bracket.pdf

Here is a link to the Stoddard County Softball Tournament http://www.bernie.k12.mo.us/admin/2010%20SCAA%20softball%20tourn%20final%20brack...

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 1:40 AM

Draw, are you suggesting one team to drop another because of a bad call by an official? If so, that, at least to me, makes it sound like the home team had "their guy" in place. Conspiracy theory?

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 7:09 AM
  • Schedule for Red Devil Classic

Friday at Chaffee:

Chaffee vs. Egyptian 3pm

Dexter vs. Shawnee 5:15 pm

Seneth-Hornersville vs. Saxony Lutheran 7:30

Friday at Oran:

Perryville vs. Oran 3:30

-- Posted by deadred on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 7:39 AM
  • Larry Doby

Those are you words not mine.

The only thing I will say RIGHT NOW is Bernie did drop Malden in basketball after the 2006-07 season. Several controversial events have taken place in Bernie / Malden basketball games over the last 10 years. Bernie rescheduled Malden in basketball for the 2009-10 season. Nevertheless, I do not think it is inappropriate at add Saturday's baseball games to the long list of controversial games between the two schools.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 10:51 AM
  • *your*

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 10:57 AM
  • Just curious, what was the umpires explanation of the reversal of the call? Undoubtedly he saw something the 1st base umpire did not see. Either that or he convinced the 1st base umpire that he outfielder had possession long enough for the out call.

Anyway, as a coach, make your gripe then just give the guy the appropriate mark on his officating score, let it go, and move on.

I will say, I've been around some of these close town rival games enough to know that you play with officals that are not from around the area or that have no ties to the schools/coaches. Either do that way, or don't play. If you play using local officials then don't complain when "unusal" stuff happens.

Sounds line "Ship" handle it pretty well. If you get tossed and become a spectale, you are just setting yourself and team up for a "next time" down the road when you cross paths with that particular official. Most umpires are not going to be intimadated by coaches. Most of them will admitt when they screw up it's just sometimes their pride will not let'em undo the wrong call.

"To err is human, to forgive is divne".

-- Posted by mac baseball on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 12:15 PM
  • mac baseball

I agree doing nothing is the right thing 99% of the time.

I will also say I strongly supported Bernie's decision to drop Malden in basketball after the 2006-07 season.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 12:23 PM
  • I'm anxiously awaiting the start of the Bernie / Senath game. Bernie may have limited pitching available after playing four games over the weekend. I know they have one fresh arm. But if they have to go to the pen early it could be a long day for the Mules.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 4:11 PM
  • #12 on the mound for Senath. Keasler drives in two with two outs.

#15 on the mound for Bernie.

Bernie leads 2-0 heading to the bottom of the first.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 4:23 PM
  • Senath picks up a run on a ground ball Bernie's defense gets two outs on. After one Bernie leads Senath 2-1.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 4:30 PM
  • Bernie leads Senath 2-1 heading to the bottom of the second.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 4:34 PM
  • After two Bernie leads Senath 2-1.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 4:44 PM
  • Bases loaded one out for Bernie. #21 is the new pitcher for Senath.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 4:52 PM
  • Keasler with a sac fly. Bernie leads 3-1 heading to the bottom of the third.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 4:55 PM
  • #21 gets a huge two out hit for Senath. Two runs score.

After three Bernie and Senath are tied at 3.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 5:06 PM
  • Shelton drives in a run with two outs. Heading to the bottom of the fourth Bernie leads Senath 4-3.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 5:13 PM
  • Johnson is the new pitcher for Bernie.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 5:14 PM
  • Bernie gets the first two outs. The third hitter put the ball in play and the Bernie defense threw the ball around the infield committing multiple errors. Without the errors the play could be classified as an inside the park homerun.

After four Bernie and Senath are tied at 4.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 5:19 PM
  • Owens drives in a run.

Massey hammers the ball and a Senath outfielder dives for the ball and drops it AND THE UMPIRE GETS THE CALL RIGHT. It's amazing how fair things can be when you have unbiased umpires. Almost every school in Southeast Missouri has unbiased umpires and basketball officals.

Bernie adds another run. Bernie leads Senath 6-4 heading to the bottom of the fifth.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 5:31 PM
  • The Bernie defense makes two remarkable plays in the fifth. Owens throws out a runner at second and McGowan makes a nice play on a ground ball at first.

After five Bernie leads Senath 6-4.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 5:37 PM
  • Heading to the bottom of the sixth Bernie leads Senath 6-4.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 5:40 PM
  • Welch with another jumping catch at SS. After six Bernie leads Senath 6-4.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 5:49 PM
  • Welch with a leadoff triple followed by a double by Owens. Massey with a single. Shelton with a single with the bases loaded.

Bernie leads Senath 10-4 heading to the bottom of the final inning.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 6:02 PM
  • Bernie defeats Senath 10-9. Huge win for Bernie considering they had a limited number of pitchers available. Senath is one of the best team's on Bernie's schedule and should receive a high seed in their district. All of Bernie's pitchers were outstanding today. The umpires was very good also. Thank you Senath for providing good umpires for today's game.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 6:18 PM
  • The Bernie softball team leads Puxico 12-3 in the first round of the Stoddard County Tournament. Top 6th.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 7:28 PM
  • Bernie defeats Puxico in softball 13-3.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 7:37 PM
  • Anyone have the Risco/Holcomb score?

-- Posted by mac baseball on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 7:48 PM
  • In the SCAA tourney, Woodland defeats Puxico 12-2. Puxico threw Smith, Smith definitely pitched well enough to win the game had he had a decent defense behind him. I honestly believe that if Puxico does not throw Smith, Richland could beat them. Counting all the errors, I believe that Smith only had 1 earned run. However, that is not what matters, what matters is what is on the scoreboard at the end of the game and the bottomline is Puxico just flat out could not make a play behind Smith. I feel sorry for the kid with it being his senior year.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 7:50 PM
  • SCC 17 Gideon 5

-- Posted by SCC1990 on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 8:19 PM
  • Join me on the professional sports forums right now if you want to discuss the Cardinals game LIVE!!!

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 8:45 PM
  • Draw after watching senath play tonight, how do you feel about there game with south pemiscot next wednesday?

-- Posted by player25 on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 8:50 PM
  • player25

It's all about the pitching matchups. I'm not sure I watched Senath's ace pitch very many innings today. I think it will be a close game.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 9:01 PM
  • Could someone please give a complete schedule for the Chaffee Tournament?

Here is schedule for Friday:

Schedule for Red Devil Classic

Friday at Chaffee:

Chaffee vs. Egyptian 3pm

Dexter vs. Shawnee 5:15 pm

Seneth-Hornersville vs. Saxony Lutheran 7:30

Friday at Oran:

Perryville vs. Oran 3:30

WHAT ABOUT SATURDAY?

There is a good chance I will attend of the games at Chaffee on Friday.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 9:20 PM
  • Red Devil Classic Saturday schedule:

winners of 1st and 2nd game at Chaffee at 9:30

losers of 1st and 2nd game at Oran at 9:30

winners of 3rd and 4th game at Chaffee at 11:45

losers of 3rd and 4th game at Oran at 11:45

3rd place game at Chaffee at 2:00

7th place game at Oran at 2:00

5th place game at Chaffee at 4:15

1st place game at Chaffee at 6:45

-- Posted by deadred on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 10:17 PM
  • Poplar Bluff 6-4 over Dexter

-- Posted by Kidrayray on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 10:21 PM
  • deadred

Is this an eight team tournament? Are the teams in a bracket. I'm curious what the seedings are for the tournament if this is the case.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 10:39 PM
  • Oak Ridge over South Iron 20-6

-- Posted by jswonger on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 10:53 PM
  • If anyone finds out who won the Bloomfield / Advance game please post. I'm curious which team Bernie will be playing in the semifinals on Tuesday.

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Apr 20, 2010, at 12:29 AM
  • Advance defeated Bloomfield 5-4.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Tue, Apr 20, 2010, at 7:26 AM
  • drawmules...

Red Devil Classic is an 8 team tournament. I tried to lay it out somewhat but can't put the actual bracket on here. There are no seedings, just pairings, usually depending on when the teams want to play their first games and of course, Oran plays their first game at their field.

All teams play 3 games regardless. If you win your first game, you stay in the winners bracket. If you lose, you stay in the consolation bracket.

-- Posted by deadred on Tue, Apr 20, 2010, at 8:03 AM
  • See you at the game today baseballfan2010.

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Apr 20, 2010, at 10:46 AM
  • I'll be at the Stoddard County Tournament game between Bernie and Advance today.

Keep checking back to see if the thread entitled "A Bernie Fan's PG-13 Version of the Bernie Malden Rivalary" will be posted. I'm still trying to determine if the thread if the PG-13 version is appropriate or if we need to reduce it to the G version.

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Apr 20, 2010, at 11:16 AM
  • Don't forget to join me on this thread tonight at 8:40 p.m. to debate the Dan Haren trade, the Cardinals / Diamondbacks game and much more http://semoball.com/forums/cardinals/thread/1343

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Apr 20, 2010, at 12:09 PM
  • After five the Advance softball team leads the Bernie softball team 5-3 in the semifinals of the SCAA Tournament.

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Apr 20, 2010, at 4:08 PM
  • Draw

I am not going to be able to make it to the Bernie vs. Advance baseball game today. Would it be possible for you to give us some updates on how that game progresses as well?

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Tue, Apr 20, 2010, at 4:15 PM
  • Gray on the mound for Advance. Keasler on the mound for Bernie. Shelton with a homerun. After one Bernie leads Advance 5-0 in high school baseball.

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Apr 20, 2010, at 4:31 PM
  • Advance's softball team defeated Bernie.

Owens with a homerun. The Bernie baseball team leads Advance 9-0.

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Apr 20, 2010, at 4:57 PM
  • Welch with a grand slam. After three Bernie leads Advance 16-0.

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Apr 20, 2010, at 5:24 PM
  • Wow, sounds like Bernie is well on their way.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Tue, Apr 20, 2010, at 5:33 PM
  • Bernie defeats Advance 16-1.

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Apr 20, 2010, at 5:58 PM
  • Cooter 12 Portageville 2 (5 innings)

Boone the winner, Robbins the loser.

Anderson and Childers homers, Childers a slam.

-- Posted by mac baseball on Tue, Apr 20, 2010, at 6:49 PM
  • Who won the Bell City / Woodland game?

Any chance of the championship game of the Stoddard County Baseball Tournament being played on Wednesday?

IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME OF THE STODDARD COUNTY SOFTBALL TOURNAMENT WILL BE PLAYED ON WEDNESDAY DUE TO THE WEATHER FORECAST ON THURSDAY.

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Apr 20, 2010, at 8:15 PM
  • Woodland upsets Bell City.

Bernie will play Woodland in the finals of the Stoddard County Baseball Tournament. It just doesn't get any better than Bernie and Woodland in April. Woodland fans is you haven't created a semoball account yet this is the perfect time to create an account. It's so easy. If you are unable to attend the game you get live updates for the Bernie / Woodland game right here on this thread. Don't miss it.

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Apr 20, 2010, at 10:18 PM
  • South pemiscot defeated Caruthersville 15-1

-- Posted by player25 on Tue, Apr 20, 2010, at 10:59 PM
  • Sikeston 6

Charleston 4

-- Posted by minn13 on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 8:30 AM
  • The third place game of the Stoddard County Softball Tournament between Bernie and Dexter will be played Wednesday at 3:00 p.m. The championship game between Woodland and Advance will follow the third place game.

I still haven't received word on whether the championship game of the Stoddard County Baseball Tournament will be played on Wednesday. I received an email at 8:30 a.m. this morning indicating there was a good chance the game would be played on Wednesday instead of Thursday due to Thursday's weather forecast. However, I never received an additonal email confirming the game has been moved to Wednesday.

I should know something soon, however.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 2:14 PM
  • Woodland will play at Bernie in the championship game of the SCAA Baseball Tournament in 30 minutes.

The Bernie softball team leads Dexter 4-0 in the third inning.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 3:29 PM
  • The Bernie softball team leads Dexter 8-0.

The baseball game will begin as soon as the umpires show up.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 4:12 PM
  • We have no umpires LOL. Perhaps they will show up eventually.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 4:20 PM
  • We have umpires. Owens on mound for Bernie. #24 on the mound for Woodland. 0-0 heading to the bottom of the first.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 4:34 PM
  • Welch with a homerun. After one Bernie leads Woodland 4-0.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 4:48 PM
  • Owens drives in a run. Bernie leads 6-0 after two.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 5:05 PM
  • #13 takes over for Woodland on the mound in the third. After three Bernie leads Woodland 12-0. Barnett drives in two for Bernie in the third. Owens with a grand slam.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 5:30 PM
  • After four Bernie leads Woodland 12-0.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 5:42 PM
  • Bernie defeats Woodland 12-1.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 5:51 PM
  • There are so many cool things being discussed in the in game threads this season. If you don't like baseball the chances are we will discuss something you do like. This week we have discussed home improvement projects, Taylor Swift and where drawmules might find a bird outfit. I'm sure there will be something unusual discussed tonight. I'll see everyone at 8:40 p.m. Join the in game thread by clicking on this link

http://semoball.com/forums/cardinals/thread/1353

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 7:33 PM
  • Oak Ridge over Leopold 9-5

-- Posted by jswonger on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 8:01 PM
  • Cooter 11 Holcomb 8

At Holcomb

Edwards the winner, McDaniel the loser.

Cooter wins Tri County Conference League Tilte

McElwrath, Boone, and Childers all went yard.

Tournament will start Monday with the seeds being out Thursday night. Holcomb and Risco will play Thursday (both will be either 2 or 3)

-- Posted by mac baseball on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 8:16 PM
  • mac baseball

I'd love to see a schedule for this tournament. Holcomb is an interesting team. I haven't watched Holcomb this season. However, it appears they are playing well.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 8:27 PM
  • SCC 3 Charleston 2

-- Posted by trainhard on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 8:34 PM
  • Scott County Central continues to pick up big wins. I believe they now have wins against Charleston, Chaffee, and Bell City. It could be a good year to be a Scott County Central baseball fan.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 8:37 PM
  • I will post the bracket sometime Thursday night or Friday AM when it's released. The 1st round will be at the higher seed with the semis and finals being held at Southland (Arbyrd).

At the Malden Tournament, Holcomb did win a couple of games,I'm pretty sure they beat Doniphan and Oran, lost to Malden, didn't not get their 4th game score. Coach Derek Cunningham has done a good job with them. Derek played for us many years ago, then moved on to Senath-Hornersville with coach Randy Smith and then to college. He was very good high school player and as nice of a gentleman as you cam find.

-- Posted by mac baseball on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 10:07 PM
  • Is he nicer than me mac baseball LOL.

Holcomb also defeated Doniphan in the Malden Tournament.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 10:30 PM
  • I will attend the Jackson / Poplar Bluff game on Thursday if it doesn't rain. I want to see the new baseball field.

I need directions to Jackson's field. If anyone has the address that is always helpful. I'll just type it in my TomTom. The address of a building close the field would also work if the baseball field doesn't have an address.

If anyone finds out the game is cancelled post the information on the forum.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 11:25 PM
  • I've received the ok to create a forum thread entitled "A Bernie Fan's PG-13 Version of the Bernie Malden Rivalary." Time will tell if and when the thread will appear. Keep checking back for farther updates.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 11:44 PM

Weather permitting there will be a double header today at Twin Rivers.....at 4pm Greenville vs Twin Rivers then at 6pm South Pem vs Twin Rivers, should be 2 good games

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 8:41 AM
  • Draw,

The easiest way to Jackson's field is to take I-55 north to exit 105 (Jackson/Fruitland). Go left toward Jackson on 61 for about a mile or mile and a half. The field will be on the left sitting on a hill you can't miss it.

-- Posted by coachpanther on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 9:15 AM
  • 6 + 4 + 3 = 2

Double headers are fun. I'll reevaluate the weather at 3 p.m. I'm closer to Jackson than Twin Rivers right now. But I would like to see South Pemiscot play Twin Rivers. But I was also looking forward to eating at the Branding Iron after the Jackson / Poplar Bluff game. Tough decision. Perhaps Mother Nature will make the decision for me.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 12:03 PM
  • The weather forecast for Saturday is getting my attention.

The Storm Prediction Center is forecasting a risk for severe weather. It appears the risk for significant storms continues to increase.

If you haven't bought a NOAA Weather Radio, batteries for you flashlight(s) and developed a storm safety plan you may want to do so before Saturday. I plan on stocking up on batteries for my battery-powered severe weather appliances after I attend the baseball game at Jackson on Thursday evening. There has never been a better time to prepare for severe weather.

If you are heading out to a baseball game on Saturday you should be prepared for damaging storms.

Research indicates the best way to reduce the death toll in a severe storm or tornado is to provide advanced warning. You have received your advanced warning semoball visitors.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 12:16 PM
  • Do you know who will be on the mound today for south pemiscot?

-- Posted by player25 on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 2:08 PM
  • I just checked radar. It looks like it is raining near Twin Rivers. I'll be in Jackson shortly. Rain is on the way to Jackson. I'm bringing my umbrella. I predict rain before the end of the game.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 3:07 PM
  • I think that the games at twin rivers today should be good games.

-- Posted by player25 on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 3:27 PM
  • I've been in Jackson looking for the baseball field since 3:30 p.m. I visited three parks, two gas stations and one school asking for directions. I was sent to six different baseball fields. Thanks to the guys playing frisbee in the third park that finally gave me the right directions. The game has already started. I have know idea what the score is and there is no scoreboard.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 4:32 PM
  • #16 drives in two for Poplar Bluff. I believe Jackson trails 2-1 heading to the bottom of the second.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 4:35 PM
  • Jackson leads Poplar Bluff 3-2 after two innings.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 4:46 PM
  • After three Jackson leads Poplar Bluff 4-2.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 4:57 PM
  • Heading to the bottom of the fourth Jackson leads Poplar Bluff 4-2.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 5:04 PM
  • After four Jackson leads Poplar Bluff 4-2. It's rain. Some of the fans are leaving. I don't understand why. It's just water.

Observation: my umbrella is smaller than most of the other umbrellas.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 5:14 PM
  • Jackson leads 4-2 heading to the bottom of the fifth. I'm looking forward to the Branding Iron after the game. They have a roof.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 5:21 PM
  • #30 hammers one over the left field fence for Jackson. #2 with a homerun. Jackson defeats Poplar Bluff. I think the score was 12-2.

A Jackson player is hurt. Sadly I didn't see his number. Early reports say his elbow is almost three times it's original size. He was hit by a ball. He in on his way to a local hospital. He was walking and appeared fine outside of the arm injury.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 5:36 PM
  • Twin Rivers bear Greenville 17 to 2. Cole McBroom got the win.

Twin Rivers beat South Pem 3 to 1. Garret Stockton the win, Thompson the lose. Both pitchers pitched very good, very very good.

-- Posted by semo-dude on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 8:58 PM
  • I still think Twin Rivers is one of the best Class 2 teams in SEMO. They lost to Clearwater 1-0 in the fall.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 9:01 PM
  • I'll have new rankings out after the Chaffee Tournament and the Kennett / Notre Dame game.

The Malden Greenwave have proven they are a legitimate contender in Class 2. They should be ranked extremely high in the new rankings. Tim Harmon has done an outstanding job coaching at Malden. The program has improved significantly since he has taken over as head coach.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 9:06 PM

Draw, Twin Rivers didn't just lose 1-0 to Clearwater in the fall, they beat them 7-6 in the fall facing Morris and Kirkpatric.....I believe Clearwater's only loss since August.

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 9:23 PM
  • Live updates for the Notre Dame / Kennett game will be on this thread TODAY.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 12:50 PM
  • Tonight's Cardinals game features two Cy Young Award candidates. Tim Linceum will take the mound for the Giants and Jaime Garcia will take the mound for the Cardinals.

Ok Ok Ok . . . Perhaps Jaime Garcia is not a Cy Young Award candidate. Could he be the rookie of the year, however?

Join me during the Cardinals game tonight at 9:15 p.m. to debate this issue and much more at this link http://semoball.com/forums/cardinals/thread/1364.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 2:33 PM
  • It took me 30 minutes to find Kennett's baseball field. I finally found it. Bazzell on the mound for Kennett. Young on the mound for Notre Dame. No score heading to the second.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 4:13 PM
  • Very impressed with Kennett's pitcher early. No score heading to the bottom of the second.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 4:19 PM
  • #21 for Kennett with a ground ruled double in the bottom of the second. One out.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 4:21 PM
  • First and third. One out after a walk and a wild pitch.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 4:23 PM
  • Kennett's #3 hits a ball back to the pitcher. No play. A run scores. One out. 1-0 Kennett. Runners at first and second.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 4:25 PM
  • After two Kennett leads 1-0.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 4:27 PM
  • Obermark hits a ball to a Kennett infielder. He cannot make the play. A run scores.

Multiple Notre Dame fans were screaming for a baulk after every pitch Kennett's Bazzell throws to Pewitt.

Notre Dame strands the bases loaded. 1-1 heading to the bottom of the third. Cin hit two balls just foul with the bases loaded over the left field fence.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 4:43 PM
  • #7 for Kennett with a two out double.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 4:49 PM
  • How fast do both of these pitchers throw? I imagine they probably have above average off-speed pitches but I've never seen either one throw

-- Posted by sportsaholic on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 4:51 PM
  • Bazzell puts Kennett back on top with a two out single that bounces between the 3B and SS. After three Kennett leads Notre Dame 2-1.

Jake Pewitt with a beautiful throw from CF with two outs to throw out a runner at the plate.

The clouds and the wind are increasing in Kennett.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 4:53 PM
  • sportsaholic

I'm probably not the best person to ask that question to. Could somebody help me out.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 4:57 PM
  • Essner's hit ties the game again.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 4:58 PM
  • The ND bats are hot in the fourth. First ans second one out.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 5:00 PM
  • Hound drives in two with a two out double. Notre Dame leads Kennett 4-2.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 5:03 PM
  • A diving catch by #21, the 3B, for Kennett to end the inning. Notre Dame leads Kennett 4-2 heading to the bottom of the fourth.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 5:05 PM
  • There is action in the Kennett bullpen.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 5:06 PM
  • A leadoff walk to start the bottom of the fourth.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 5:07 PM
  • Action in the Notre Dame bullpen.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 5:08 PM
  • An error brings in a run. 4-3 Notre Dame. Runner at second one out.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 5:09 PM
  • Kennett strands a runner at third. After four Notre Dame leads Kennett 4-3.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 5:12 PM
  • Are the pitchers at high pitch counts or tiring? Are the coaches thinking about the pitchers arms or about winning the game? I have heard both pitchers are already signed to play college so it would make sense to not wear them out too much even if they are the aces..is that what the coaches are thinking or are there just better options in the bullpen?

-- Posted by sportsaholic on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 5:16 PM
  • Strong storms approaching Clay County. Clay County is located just west of Kennett.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 5:18 PM
  • sportsaholic

I'm sure the best teams in Southeast Missouri have more than one pitcher. Nevertheless, nobody seems concerned about arm injuries and I see no risk of any injury right now. Notre Dame leads Kennett 4-3 in the bottom of the fifth.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 5:22 PM
  • Bazzell with a double. Second and third nobody out for Kennett.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 5:24 PM
  • Young pitches out of a second and third nobody out jam. Nice blocks in balls in the dirt by the catcher, Hagedorn.

After five Notre Dame leads Kennett 4-3.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 5:28 PM
  • The lights are on in Kennett. The storms are getting closer and appear to be increasing in intensity. We head to the bottom of the sixth. 4-3 Notre Dame.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 5:33 PM
  • We head to the final inning. Notre Dame leads Kennett 4-3.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 5:39 PM
  • #1 is the new pitcher for Kennett.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 5:40 PM
  • Kennett's CF makes a nice play on a flyball. Kennett's catcher looks like Molina as he throws a runner out at second to end the inning. We head to the bottom of the 7th. Notre Dame leads Kennett 4-3.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 5:44 PM
  • Bazzell will bat second in the bottom of the 7th for Kennett. Leadoff hit. Bazzell steps in.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 5:45 PM
  • He lines out to first after fouling off several pitches. Double play. Next batter is hit. One on with two outs.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 5:51 PM
  • Notre Dame defeats Kennett 4-3.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 5:52 PM
  • Actually, if I remember correctly...when Morris came out in that Twin Rivers/Clearwater game, Clearwater was winning by 2 runs.

-- Posted by hardball on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 6:35 PM
  • Whoa...sorry wrong thread

-- Posted by hardball on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 6:41 PM
  • Glad to hear from you hardball.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 6:51 PM
  • Sikeston beats Farmington 9-0

-- Posted by kingjames on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 9:02 PM
  • Also, I don't know if I would put Kennett as one of the two "best" teams in SEMO, Draw. They have some losses to some local teams. I think its ND, then 3 or 4 four teams vying for second. The conf tourney could help out.

-- Posted by kingjames on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 9:06 PM
  • Glad to hear your thoughts kingjames. Remember I don't watch the large schools play a great deal. I've encouraged others to provide rankings for the large school several times. Unfortunately, noone has jumped at the opportunity. I do the best I can with the information I have available. I think Kennett is one of the best teams in Southeast Missouri.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 9:08 PM
  • I understand draw. If you get a chance, come visit the semo tourney. Should be a great one.

-- Posted by kingjames on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 9:45 PM
  • Plan on attending most if not all of the tournament.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 9:51 PM
  • Does anyone have a schedule for the SEMO Conference Tournament?

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 11:16 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: