Other College Sports Discussion: College Basketball Recruiting

Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Sep 24, 2013, at 10:33 AM:

A place to discuss all things college basketball. Recruiting is really starting to heat up, with many players chosing to declare before their senior season of basketball starts. We also see many official, and unofficial, and in-home visits happening right now. So feel free to post any information you here about college basketball.

Replies (316)

No. 7 player in the nation Trey Lyles has narrowed his list of schools down to Kentucky and Louisville. This should be interesting!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Sep 24, 2013, at 10:48 AM

Point guard Rashad Vaugh, No. 13 player in the nation has narrowed his schools down to Arizona, Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Minnesota, North Carolina and UNLV. Many believe Iowa State is the leader at this point. Which is hard to believe. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go UNC or Kansas.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Sep 24, 2013, at 1:35 PM

Mizzou offically dropped Chris Sandifer as a commitment to this class due to his lack of academic qualifications. Haith replaced that commitment by signing Namon Wright who is the 87 overall recruit in the nation. He also plays SG and is also from California

-- Posted by Bunk on Sat, Sep 28, 2013, at 4:12 PM

Wright should be a good pickup! He's a pretty good defender.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Sep 28, 2013, at 5:44 PM

Devin Booker will make his college decision Oct. 31st at his high school. Florida is now officially out of the mix

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 2, 2013, at 9:59 PM

Mizzou was 3 deep at Devin Bookers practice today.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Oct 3, 2013, at 6:00 PM
  • We still got homecoming to woo mr booker! Dont count us out Buck, Frank might have something up his sleeve!! (A rolex haha!!)

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Oct 3, 2013, at 7:43 PM

Ever since Mudiay picked SMU, I don't count anyone out haha!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Oct 3, 2013, at 8:07 PM

Booker visiting Michigan today.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 2:58 PM

I believe we get the last visit. Got to love the recency effect .

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 3:14 PM

Yes you guys should get the last visit. Florida is out of the mix, so no visit.

No. 65 player in the nation center Chinanu Onuaku (mouthful) picked Louisville today. Don't know what that will do for Trey Lyles who is down between UL and UK.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 3:49 PM

No. 1 player in the nation Jahlil Okafor has cut his list to four schools. Those schools are Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, and Baylor. You have to believe that Duke is the heavy favorite.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Oct 7, 2013, at 8:38 AM

No. 11 player in the nation Kelly Oubre is down to Kentucky and Kansas. He will attend UK's Big Blue Madness on the 18th and then make his decision shortly thereafter.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Oct 7, 2013, at 8:42 AM

Well Sideline Starter picked up a recruit. Ole Miss recieved a commitment from 2014 shooting guard JT Escobar. I don't believe he is ranked, but he does seem to be a pretty good shooter, and has good handles, so he will prolly play point some too.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Oct 7, 2013, at 1:07 PM

Kelly Oubre tweeted out that big news is coming today. Probably one of 3 options, He is commiting to Kansas (unlikely), He is announcing the date he will commit (somewhat more likely) He is "officially" cutting his list to Kentucky and Kansas (likely). Kids like to tweet big news that ends up not being that big a news. Its all about the followers.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Oct 8, 2013, at 10:27 AM

Alright looks like the unlikely is coming true. Hearing from my sources that Oubre is canceling his UK visit next week, and will pick Kansas today. I think he really liked the idea of taking over where Andrew Wiggins will lead off. Can't blame him for that. Still it's a shame to see kids pick before they take all there visits, but as I've said before, it happens often.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Oct 8, 2013, at 10:54 AM

One of the reasons I really think people are picking Kansas this year and not Kentucky, is because this 2013 UK recruiting class is the best in 20 years, but I don't think there are as many 1 and done players as normal. I think the SG James Young who was No. 7 in the country has 2 years, Marcus Lee No. 17 has 2 years, Dakari Johnson No. 10 could have 2 years, as then add in the 2 2014 recruits and you already have your starting 5. I think recruits realize this that some of these players will be there next year.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Oct 8, 2013, at 10:58 AM

Oubre does commit to Kansas.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Oct 8, 2013, at 1:01 PM

No. 23 player in the nation SG James Blackmon will announce on October 22nd. Probably a race between Kentucky and Michigan, with his decommited school Indiana as a dark horse.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 9, 2013, at 5:13 PM

Malik Pope a 6'9 forward committed to San Diego State. He was No. 17 in the nation, making him the highest ranked player to ever commit to San Diego State. He visited Kansas just a couple days ago, so I guess they aren't getting them all either.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Oct 10, 2013, at 3:51 PM

2015 PF Deyonta Davis has recieved a scholarship offer from Mizzou.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Oct 10, 2013, at 5:02 PM

2015 No. 4 player in the nation Ben Simmons has commited to LSU. I've seen him play a few times, great talent! So he is like the highest ranked recruit to commit to an SEC school that's not Kentucky in like the last 5 or 6 years.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Oct 14, 2013, at 12:26 PM

12 NBA scouts at Kentuckys practice today. It's basically like an NBA practice.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Oct 14, 2013, at 9:38 PM

100% agree. One of the stupidest rules out there.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Oct 14, 2013, at 11:18 PM

I know everyone is hyped up for Big Blue Madness this weekend on the 18th. The countdown has begun! Tons of high profile recruits will be there. Rising 2016 No. 4 player in the nation Chaminade, St. Louis star Jayson Tatum announced that he will be in attendance for the event this weekend. I really hope we can get him in a few years!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Oct 15, 2013, at 10:22 AM

No one is hyped about it Buck no one

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Oct 15, 2013, at 10:43 AM

Really!?!? Only 3 days and 10 hours left so better start moving that hype meter! haha

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Oct 15, 2013, at 10:50 AM

I'm just ribbing you by the way. But if were to project into the future I would have to think Florida has the inside track on Tatum right? Considering Donovan's history with Chaminade prospects .

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Oct 15, 2013, at 10:54 AM
  • I, for one, am not hyped about it

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Oct 15, 2013, at 11:55 AM
  • But i am hyped about Big Black and Gold Madness in a week and a half where Booker will be wowed the nite before Mazzoo whoops the gamecocks to go 8-0, thus making him decide to sign with us!!!! Aint that right, bunk?!?!!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Oct 15, 2013, at 12:41 PM

Hahaha I know, I was just ribbing you guys a little too. You would think so with Beal and Lee, but with Tatum I'm really not sure. With a Sophomore, thats only played 1 season of high school basketball, its so early that its really hard to tell. So you kinda have to see which schools are really interest in him, rather that he being interested in schools. I think BBM will be his first visit. So I think you have to put Kentucky as one of the leaders because of that fact. Also that the fact that Cal very rarely offers until you are a junior. Him offering Before Tatum sophomore year means he is really trying to get him. Two other leaders I would put is Mizzoui and UNC. They both have really been after him and those are the other two schools Tatum has discussed. But who knows three seasons from now he might be all about Florida, I certainly wouldn't count them out considering what Donovan has gotten out of that school, and Tatum and Beal are practically like brothers I've heard.

I was wondering if Mizzou did any type of Madness night. Now I know haha! I figured that was what Booker was visiting for, It'll be interesting to see who he picks. I think he is deciding around Halloween.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Oct 15, 2013, at 1:09 PM

Yeah It's called Mizzou Maddness and it's pretty great. Lots of smart fans cheering for recruits by name. Lots of other Mizzou athletes and alums show up and plus you may see Keion bell dunk over 5 kids.

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Oct 15, 2013, at 5:28 PM

Ahh I see! I'll have to try and go to that sometime!

Several Minnesota Timberwolves players were at Kentucky Joe Craft center today. Guess they wanted to see how a real NBA practice goes. Haha no all kidding aside they were there with the Twolves scouts.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Oct 15, 2013, at 6:49 PM

Well when Rubio and Love get hurt every year Kentucky could probably take the Timberwolves

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Oct 15, 2013, at 7:16 PM

Yeah I keep waiting for the Twolves to put it all together. They could be an exciting team if people would stay healthy. But they got virtually no draft picks last year cause they traded their high ones away, so they will prolly go into full on tank mode this year and try to win the Wiggins sweepstakes or Randle or Parker as 2nd and 3rd place consolation prizes. Not a bad strategy I don't guess. It would be better than having a mediocre season and miss the playoffs.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 8:38 AM

Well if they stay healthy with their two stars and stay healthy with role players like Pecovic then they will be a 6-8 seed more than likely

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 10:04 AM

I'm just ready to see Rubio play haha!

On another note, 2015 point guard Eric Davis has been invited to BBM by the UK coaching staff. He is ranked No. 22 right now. When he visits he will be bringing his high school teammate 6'6 Class of 2017 forward Brian Bowen. He is one of the top freshmen in the country. His coach said he has high interest in UK. He has already visited Lexington once for the Fab Frosh Camp this summer which is invitation only and includes the top 100 freshmen in the nation. Bowen already has a scholarship offer from Mizzou. It will be interesting to see this kid develop.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 10:39 AM

Justin Winslow No. 9 player in the class of 2014 has finalized his official visits. He's taken two to Florida and UCLA. The final 3 will be Arizona, Duke, and Stanford. I could see him going to Duke.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 10:43 AM

By the way Mizzou offerd Josh Langford who is a top 25 4 star forward in the 2015 class think. He visited last weekend while visiting his aunt who lives in CoMo

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 11:37 AM

Oh that would be a nice pick up! I would consider him a 5 star, I've seen him ranked like 12th, so thats pretty good. But I'm pretty sure he is a sophomore, so 2016 class. And he's prolly not done growing yet either. It's gonna be tough to beat out Alabama and Auburn though, I think they've been recruiting him and offered him in middle school. But if he has family in CoMo thats a big plus! Much rather play bball for Mizzou than either of those two. I have family in Huntsville, I'll have to ask them and see if they know anything else about him/watched him.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 11:45 AM

Thought some of yall might be interested in this article. Melvin and Devin Booker on his upcoming trip to Columbia.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/sports/mu_basketball/booker-heading-to-mu-for-off...

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 11:55 AM

He is bringing his mom and Melvin saying"bleed black and gold" just makes my heart flutter with excitement

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 12:12 PM

Hahaha I figured it would.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 12:32 PM
  • Thanks buck!! U da man!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 3:17 PM

Less than 24 hours till Big Blue Madness guys!! I'm going to compile a list of all the top recruits that will be attending, but it will take a WHILE to add them all up.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Oct 17, 2013, at 8:26 PM

Isn't booker at Mizzou this weekend and in essence missing big blue madness? Because I thought he was attending.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Oct 17, 2013, at 8:46 PM

No Booker has already come to UK, along with his friend and fellow commit Tyler Ullis and No. 1 player in the nation Jahil Okafor. They came for the UK Alumni Game where like John Wall, Anthony Davis, Demarcus Cousins, MKG, and several of the UK NBA players and older UK players scrimmaged against each other.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Oct 17, 2013, at 8:59 PM

Many of the recruits are staying for Saturday night as well for the Wizards vs. Pelicans game that will be played in Rupp Arena. It will feature Anthony Davis, John Wall, Darius Miller, and Tyreke Evans, all Cal coached players. Two of witch No.1 draft picks. I'm sure they will be doing some recruiting as well haha. Also Otto P. will be there!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Oct 17, 2013, at 9:04 PM

Here is a list of who is confirmed to come to Big Blue Madness tonight.

All ready committed:

2014 Class

Karl Towns Jr. #8 in Nation

Tyler Ullis #34 in nation

(Glad to have them there, I'm sure theyll be doing some recruiting, playing pick up games, etc. )

2014 Class

Stanley Johnson #6 in nation

Trey Lyles #10 in nation

James Blackmon Jr. #31 in nation

UK will be trying to get all 3 of these players to round out this years class.

2015 Class

Eric Davis #25 in nation

2016 Class

Harry Giles #1 in nation

Jayson Tatum (missouri kid) #4 in nation

Joshua Langford #12 in nation

Kobi Simmons #19 in nation

2017 Class

Brian Bowen (Can't find ranking)

The girls team has 12 high profile recruits there tonight.

Over the last 4 years that Cal has done Big Blue Madness, he has hosted 21 players. 13 have committed to Kentucky. Trey Lyles, who came last year as well, would make that 14 if he commits. It's safe to say that the future of the NBA is in Rupp Arena tonight.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Oct 18, 2013, at 9:03 AM

It will be shown on ESPN3 at 7:30, and ESPN U will show parts of it beginning at 9. Probably like the Men's scrimage and cut out the womens scrimage.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Oct 18, 2013, at 9:08 AM

Over the past 4 years I know Drake has been a celebrity coach and performed, Young Jeezy has performed, Lebron James has come, Jay-Z has come. No telling who might be there tonight.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Oct 18, 2013, at 9:16 AM
  • Really Cal has won 1 title and i don't see them winning this year either all these top recruits would be high draft picks wherever they dedcide to go. Coach Cal coaching abilty isn't the reason he sends all these guys to the pro's it's the $$$$$ is why he gets them.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Oct 18, 2013, at 10:26 AM

Actually if you look at several of the about 25 players over the past couple of years, the Kentucky players have been higher draft picks than kids that considered kentucky and chose to go else where. Heck some of them flopped in college and are still in college. Look at Rick Pitino that just won the championship, name all the high draft picks he's had lately!? You can't cause there all playing in Europe. Thats why Louisville doesn't have an Alumni game because all of their players would have to be flown in from Spain, Hungry, Greece, and Ugoslavia. I think Cal gets them higher than if they went eslewhere. He's had first round draft picks that would'nt have been first rounders elsewhere. What other team has had 12 or more NBA scouts at their practices already!? They get more exposure their than anywhere. Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Cal pays players, cry me a river.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Oct 18, 2013, at 10:51 AM

Add one of the top 2016 guards to the mix Quentin Goodwin, he just announced he will be there.

John Wall just said he will be there to, a night before the Wizards-Pelicans game the next day.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Oct 18, 2013, at 11:10 AM
  • At least we agree the Cal sucks as a coach. Rick P. won the National Championship with no NBA talent according to you.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Oct 18, 2013, at 11:36 AM

I never said Cal sucks as a coach. Also with Pitino I said lately. Many of his kids from last year are still there, except a couple d-leaguers, thats why they are No. 2 in the nation this year in the pre-season poll. So I have no idea if the kids from last year specifically will be NBA talent. And yesterday there best big man Chane Behanan was suspended from the university and not on the team, so i guess he sucks at keeping his players in check too. And my point is, is that he has NBA talent, he just can't develop it. Thats why they are flooding to Europe. Isn't that what we are talking about!? That most of these high profile recruits regardless if they go to Kentucky or not will still go to the NBA!? And I disagree, Cal gets his players to the NBA as first round picks. Other coaches get theres to Europe, like Rick P.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Oct 18, 2013, at 11:48 AM
  • He gets his players to NBA because he does get most of the top recuits. The NBA already has a good idea every year who is going to be 1 and done guys and high draft guys from watching all the AAU. Cal doesn't have to develop alot of the guys he gets because alot of them are pretty much ready for the NBA. I was refering to all the talent he gets and still only has 1 championship. That should be enough to show he can't coach.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Oct 18, 2013, at 1:21 PM

I understand that. But you also have to think that these kids are 17-18 years old and then leave after 1 year. So getting them into the NBA is hard. Getting scouts to trust that these kids will be good NBA players is tough. That's why the whole "you have to be out I'd high school a year", "one and done" rule is in place, because the NBA doesn't want a bunch of 18 year olds. But what Cal has done has really changed that thought. Lots of freshman are now being taken in the 1st round. Sure before Cal some freshman/high schoolers were getting drafted in the first round, but nothing close to what it is now!! It's hard to take kids that will only be in your program for 8 months and win a championship. That's tough! And Cal has done it. And hes gotten Maryland to a national championship game, and memphis to a national championship game!! Thats a pretty great coach. But he is still going to recruit the top players in the nation. That is why he is the biggest advocate if getting rid of the "one and done" rule.

But anyways, tune in for Big Blue Madness tonight and see what separates a good program from an elite program. Anthony Davis and Darius Miller will both be their tonight. Then the two NBA teams will practice in UK's gym tomorrow. Elite. Program.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Oct 18, 2013, at 3:23 PM

The thing is Cal had done a good job recruiting when he was at UMass and at Memphis that he has now set up a self fulfilling prophecy when it comes to getting players to the NBA while at Kentucky. Kentucky has given him a platform and the resources to do his thing and now he can load up on top talent because he can pitch being a first rounder. You can argue that they would be in the NBA anyway no matter where they went which is true but it doesn't mean that Cal doesn't get them to the NBA. Now Cal has guys like Rose, Wall, Evans, Cousins, Davis, and Noel who he can point to these top fight guys and say hey I did it for them I can do it for you too.

His on the court success has been spotty and perhaps his recruiting was suspect and wrong(Evidenced by the the final fours nullified at Memphis and UMass) but at this point it doesn't matter because now those guys are in the league and are examples Cal can lean on. It's an ingenious strategy of the Machvellian variety but it worked now Cal just has to run the recruiting hype machine he built. He will win a title every now and then due to the talent gap his team will possess but basically as long as the kids buy in that he is a good coach than he continue to recruit well and remain a successful coach.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Oct 18, 2013, at 3:42 PM
  • Good points. I for one think they should change it to 2 years or just be able to go right out of high school at least then they would have to go to class the whole year instead of just the first semester.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Oct 18, 2013, at 7:54 PM

I agree 100%. You should either leave after senior year if high school, or have to do two years of college. I think that would make college basketball MUCH more enjoyable. In today's game you have no connection to any players really. And some select few players, like an Anthony Davis, wiggins, Randle, aren't really gonna get that much better in college, so they coulda just went after high school.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Oct 18, 2013, at 10:32 PM

So all the word in CoMo is that Booker is enjoying the royal treatment this weekend and will be coming back next weekend for the South Carolina game

-- Posted by Bunk on Sat, Oct 19, 2013, at 8:58 AM

I'd say if he comes back that is a great sign for you guys!! One more thing to watch for, is James Blackmon Jr. That was at BBM last night. I know him and Booker have mentioned that they'd really like to go to different schools because they feel they play really similar positions and styles. I really see Blackmon commiting to the Wildcats, and it very well be as soon as Monday the 22nd. So if he commits to UK Monday, that might really push Booker to hit up Miz next weekend.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Oct 19, 2013, at 12:23 PM

Booker saying his Mizzou visit was a 10 out of 10.

Correction on Blackmon Jr. the 22nd is Tuesday.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Oct 20, 2013, at 10:20 PM

Yeah I read that. I think he is definitely coming back for the alumni game and to see the South Carolina game. They apparently named all kinds menu items after Booker and his dad downtown and the team took him out to Shiloh for dinner and showed him the town. When asked the team said he is coming home to stay. I GOT A REAL GOOD FEELING

-- Posted by Bunk on Sun, Oct 20, 2013, at 10:42 PM

I got a feeling y'all will get him too! If Blackmon commits this week, booker could really commit pretty soon.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Oct 20, 2013, at 10:59 PM

Booker is supposed to commit in the early signing period so the idea is that he would commit around halloween.

-- Posted by Bunk on Sun, Oct 20, 2013, at 11:21 PM
  • Nothing is sitting on Blackmon's decision. Booker is a Tiger, you can book it lol

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Mon, Oct 21, 2013, at 8:34 AM

Well let's not act like Kentucky is just giving us a top 25-35 overall player. I think we earned it if we get him

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Oct 21, 2013, at 8:52 AM

No no no I'm not saying it's sitting on that, what I'm saying is that if Blackmon commits tomorrow you might see a Booker decision even sooner because UK won't recruit him anymore. So I'm just saying it might come sooner than the Oct. 30th date I reported.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Oct 21, 2013, at 8:53 AM

I hope so. I think this important for the program and Haith the big thing with recruiting( especially in basketball) is that if people think you are a good recruiter than you will continue to be a good recruiter.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Oct 21, 2013, at 8:55 AM

No I'm not saying that either. Just saying Booker will be 100% Mizzou at that point, where as right now he might be 75% Miz and 25% UK. I'm not saying UK is making the decision, Booker is because he doesnt want to play with Blackmon. YOu would def earn him! Just saying the decision could come sooner than expected.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Oct 21, 2013, at 8:56 AM

Good point. It's def a mentality thing. Players know who get the good high ranked players, and when that happends the dominos can start to fall. Booker is def in the top 3 in shooters in this 2014 class! Great player

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Oct 21, 2013, at 8:57 AM
  • The writing is on the wall with him coming back for homecoming this Saturday.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Mon, Oct 21, 2013, at 9:00 AM

If he comes back for homecoming its practically a lock I would think. As about as sure as a thing can get.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Oct 21, 2013, at 9:05 AM
  • And by the way. It is about friggin time we start getting a legacy kid. We've lost some good ones, Kellen Winslow, James Wilder, Larry Drew, off the top of my head.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Mon, Oct 21, 2013, at 9:07 AM

I have a couple of questions you guys might be able to answer. Does Namon Wright's commitment to Mizzou affect Booker's decision any do you think!? Also wasn't Booker already scheduled to come back to Mizzou this coming up weekend because thats when they are honoring his dad's team!? I mean he may have had a spectacular time this past weekend and wants to come back, but I thought he was coming back regardless and scheduled this back in September.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Oct 21, 2013, at 9:40 AM
  • To my knowledge Namon Wright is a Tiger with or without Booker. It was known that Haith wanted two wings in this class. And from what I have heard the decision for Booker to come back next weekend wasn't made until Saturday.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Mon, Oct 21, 2013, at 9:57 AM
  • Misread your Wright question but no I don't think it does at all.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Mon, Oct 21, 2013, at 10:04 AM

Wright is more the defensive stalwart that Haith missed when Matt Pressy graduated. Wright's offense up to this point is a bonus if he can score as a potential 6th man. Haith very much wanted to get a slasher defender in the vein of some kind Matt Pressy/Keion Bell hybrid player. Long story short they very different games and very different expectations so it shouldn't effect the Booker commitment

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Oct 21, 2013, at 10:09 AM

We would have taken both Sandifer and Booker as well. We were lucky to get Wright after Sandifer couldn't make grades I think Wright is a better player and fits better in the overall scheme and could actually play with Booker on the court

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Oct 21, 2013, at 10:11 AM

I see. I wasn't very familiar with Wright, but that makes since.

I just read a really stupid article about top players and which college they should NOT pick. For Booker they had Missouri, here is what the article had to say.

"Devin Booker is a dangerous jump shooter and passer who excels at reading the defense. As such, he's much more at home in the half court than in the transition offense favored by all three of the SEC schools (Kentucky, Florida, Missouri) on his list.

Of that trio, Missouri (Booker's father's alma mater) is the worst bet for Booker because he'd be on the least talented team.

The Wildcats and Gators are loaded every year, but at Mizzou--coming off an 11-7 SEC finish and slated to lose Earnest Ross after this year--there won't be the same surplus of shooters for Booker to feed, nor the same talent at PG to feed him."

Trash....

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Oct 21, 2013, at 10:15 AM

Isn't Booker the shooter? Wes Clark feeds him. That guy is stupid

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Oct 21, 2013, at 10:19 AM

He talked about prolly 25 players and I agreed with maybe 2. I'm not really even a Mizzou bball fan as yall know and I still strongly disagree with his assesment.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Oct 21, 2013, at 10:25 AM

It looks like Louisville is not longer recruiting NO. 2 player in the nation Myles Turner. Don't know why you'd ever stop recruiting that guy. They must know something I don't haha.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Oct 21, 2013, at 4:37 PM

Great article on Booker, and his first interview since he completed his visits.

http://blog.gulflive.com/mississippi-press-sports/2013/10/basketball_recruiting_...

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Oct 21, 2013, at 6:45 PM

I think he has made up his mind already

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Oct 21, 2013, at 7:09 PM

Stanley Johnson, #6 player in the nation tweets out "cutting my list to 3 tomorrow" then tweets out "sorry somebody was messing around on my phone". Yeah sure... this guy always doing stuff like that.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Oct 21, 2013, at 8:52 PM

Blackmon Jr. Said before BBM that he was going to schedule in a final visit to Indiana, the school he decommited from. Nows he's saying after BBM that he might not visit UI. You can't read 17 year old kids.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Oct 21, 2013, at 9:51 PM

Looks like Frank Haith will be suspended 5 games by the NCAA over the whole Miami debockle. More to come later. Looks like MIami fball will lose 9 scholarships, but no bowl ban thankfully.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Oct 22, 2013, at 9:20 AM

Haith also must attend a NCAA regional rules seminar after this academic year.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Oct 22, 2013, at 9:44 AM

I will so that it is over and we can move on from the whole thing

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Oct 22, 2013, at 9:45 AM

Yeah a 23 month investigation is ridicilous.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Oct 22, 2013, at 10:28 AM

Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor will take their visit to Duke this weekend after after visiting Kansas last weekend. #9 player in the nation Justise Winslow will also be visiting Duke this weekend I believe. I see Duke as the favorite for Jones and Okafor, but some see Kansas making a strong charge. Jones has said quite a bit that he would like to decide in late Oct. or early Nov.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Oct 22, 2013, at 11:47 AM

New college basketball 2014 recruiting class ranking updates

1. North Carolina

2. Ohio State

3. Maryland

4. Georgetown

5. Kentucky

Mizzou comes in at #21, which really isn't that bad because they are still recruiting several guys that haven't commited yet. Like a commitment from Booker would boost them into the top 12 probably.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 23, 2013, at 10:30 AM
  • Wheres jayhawx, im sure theyre in top ten??

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Oct 23, 2013, at 1:06 PM

Nah man there 25th. To my knowledge they only have 1 commitment, Kelly Oubre.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 23, 2013, at 1:23 PM
  • Ok guys, i gotta bud who's a jayhawk fan and he's pretty excited about a 7 foot dude named Joel Embiid. Any thoughts??

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Oct 24, 2013, at 8:56 PM

Yeah, thoughts are dudes a beast. Prolly gonna be first round top 8 pick. I've HEARD that in practice he has even performed better than the media chosen one (Andrew wiggins). I still hate Kansas!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Oct 24, 2013, at 9:17 PM

Could be top 5 pick. Some CBS guys even have him going 3rd....

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Oct 24, 2013, at 9:20 PM
  • Wow, the rich keep gettn richer. Thanx for the input buck!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Oct 24, 2013, at 11:02 PM

I feel like this will be an exicting week in the world of college basketball recruiting! I will post any updates I hear. If anyone else has any info feel free to post it.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Oct 28, 2013, at 8:49 AM

I do know that Jones, Okafor, and Winslow made their trip to Duke this weekend for their official visits. They all three watched the exibition game and entered the staduim wearing matching Duke shirts. Gotta like Duke's chances to land all three and snag the No. 1 recruiting class for this year.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Oct 28, 2013, at 11:51 AM

My favorite type of rankings came out today by Scout, and those are the ones that rank players regardless of class. I also like these rankings because as I've stated before, I really think the 2014 class is kinda weak and that the 2015 and 2016 classes will be much stronger. As these ranking show that is pretty accurate with several 2015 and 2016 players being way up in the rankings ahead of a lot of this years recruits, even though they still have 2 or 3 years of high school bball left. Even the No. 2 player is Harry Giles from the 2016 class, and I agree with him being that high because he is that great of a player. He also attended Kentucky's BBM a couple of weeks ago. I also like Scout rankings because I think they do a great job of evaluating talent. Others such as ESPN seem to get the top 20 pretty accurately but after that it seems to come unraveled a bit. Scout seems to really do the homework.

Here is the top 10:

1. Jahil Okafor 2014

2. Harry Giles 2016

3. Miles Turner 2014

4. Emmanuel Mudiay 2014 SMU

5. Tyus Jones 2014

6. Malik Newman 2015

7. Diamond Stone 2015

8. Cliff Alexander 2014

9. Kelly Oubre 2014 Kansas

10. Jayson Tatum 2016 (Tatum attends Chaminade in St. Louis. He is in the top 10 regardless of class and #2 in the 2016 class. He still has 3 years of high school bbabll left. Watch out he could be the greatest player to come out of Missouri. Also attended Kentucky's BBM)

Here is a link to the complete list of the Ultimate 100 http://scouthoops.scout.com/3/Ultimate100.html

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Oct 28, 2013, at 3:52 PM

Interesting factoid. The NBA's tallest team is the 76ers, averaging 6'8 per players. If this years Kentucky team made a 13 man roster they would average 6'8.5 average height per players. AKA this years UK team is taller than any NBA team.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Oct 28, 2013, at 4:58 PM

Here is an interesting tidbit I just ran across. 84% of 247Sports' Crystal Ball predictions have Booker headed to Kentucky, Michigan holds 10% and Missouri 6%. Missouri's votes came last week while the last Michigan prediction was filed in early September.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Oct 29, 2013, at 11:12 AM
  • Ur on a roll buck!! Keep em comin!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Oct 29, 2013, at 11:41 AM

I try I try haha!

On another note we finally get to see some Pros play tonight! Yeah I know the NBA starts, but I'm talking about Kentucky's Blue/White game ;)

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Oct 29, 2013, at 1:06 PM

Kudos to Phil Pressey though as being the only player that didn't get drafted to make an NBA team. I believe 20 players who did get drafted got cut from NBA rosters.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Oct 29, 2013, at 1:07 PM

Both Booker and Blackmon Jr. will officially announce Thursday the 31st, Halloween. Which team will get tricks and which team will get treats!? BuckMajor predicts Mizzou for Booker and UK for Blackmon. But I never count out that Cal could get both.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Oct 29, 2013, at 7:39 PM

Booker to announce at 3 and Blackmon at 5. I have a feeling that both Haith, Cal, Booker, and Blackmon will know every one lands by tomorrow night at the latest.

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Oct 29, 2013, at 8:03 PM

I agree!

Kentucky's Blue and White game tonight set a Guinness Book world record for most tickets sold to a college basketball scrimmage. I know there was over 15,000 sold, don't know total.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Oct 29, 2013, at 8:24 PM

Crystal Ball prediction now says 88% Booker goes to UK. Somebody switched their vote. And apparently people have info I don't have.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Oct 29, 2013, at 9:50 PM
  • Booker will go to Mizzou...done deal.

-- Posted by mutigers77 on Tue, Oct 29, 2013, at 11:21 PM

I hope he comes home so that the crystal ball predictor can explode. I can just imagine the voters reactions "But..but Mizzou isn't a blue blood school !?!?!"

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Oct 30, 2013, at 8:06 AM

Yeah it would explode haha, especially with 88% being wrong! I'm just getting really strong info that there both UK bound. Many have said that players were locks elsewhere, Julius Randle Kansas lock, Harrison Twins Maryland locks, Demarcus Cousins Memphis lock, Nerlens Noel Uconn lock. So I never count Cal out. I'm just not seeing him to UK. If he does pick UK, his dad musta really been hands off.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 30, 2013, at 8:49 AM

The info I was hearing from the Power Mizzou today is that after Devin spent a few hours with Storming Norman and it might have made a difference. Apparently Melvin told some of his teammates at the 20 year reunion game of the 94 Big 8 champion team that Devin was finally on the right page. Take that for what's it worth

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Oct 30, 2013, at 9:21 AM

Yeah I saw several photos of him and Norm together and saw an interview where he said he learned a lot from Norm! Another reason why I think he will be Miz bound.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 30, 2013, at 10:39 AM

Blackmon Jr.'s decision will actually be on ESPNU during halftime of the football game. So like 6:30ish our time.

Melvin said time and again they didn't wanna do any TV deal even though ESPN was pushing it. So just a ceremony at the school, guess we will find out the decision by some other means.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 30, 2013, at 11:52 AM

Well Power Mizzou will be streaming it for both UK and Mizzou rivals sites. I'm not sure if rivals is still offering the 7 day free trials but if you want to watch now would be the time

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Oct 30, 2013, at 11:58 AM
  • Mark it down. He will be a tiger!

-- Posted by mutigers77 on Wed, Oct 30, 2013, at 12:31 PM
  • Unless the inside info I have is wrong. I'm telling you right now he's a tiger

-- Posted by mutigers77 on Wed, Oct 30, 2013, at 12:31 PM

What's your source?

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Oct 30, 2013, at 12:34 PM
  • His family....of course everyone knows he was at Mizzou two weeks ago. Then he went again this past weekend not only to the basketball thing on Friday night but to the football game. Mark it down guys. He's a tiger.

Unless he's fooling us all and changing his mind at the 12 o'clock hour. He is a kid. I'm just saying I'm almost 100% certain he will don the Tiger uni

-- Posted by mutigers77 on Wed, Oct 30, 2013, at 2:27 PM

So apparently there just a ton of "buzz" that Booker is a UK lock. I haven't seen any specific reports or sources or anything. First who is this buzz coming from? Second who are they getting their info from? Third are the people reporting buzz just reporting that others are reporting more buzz creating an exponential buzz cycle? This is why I hate basketball recruiting. There is a whole lot of posturing and little facts.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Oct 30, 2013, at 4:56 PM

If he does pick UK you can't really say he changed his mind at the 12 0clock hour. I mean almost all recruiting sources, and buzz as Bunk has stated, has pegged him as a UK lean for months and months now. Only recently has any Mizzou buzz even come up. I mean heck for months it was a UK-Michigan State thing. So if anything he is switching his mind to Mizzou at the last moment (moment being the last month)

As far as recent buzz, I don't know the sources, the ultimate sources, of where it is coming from. There was lots of UK buzz months ago, then died down toward Mizzou, now it's picking back up towards Kentucky.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 30, 2013, at 6:01 PM

That's the thing is like here say and gossip only the media who report it won't say where they get it. Is it a credibility concern for the reporter or the source? I just feel like it skews perception of schools and builds or derails their reputations based off a few widely circulated rumors

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Oct 30, 2013, at 6:10 PM
  • Ok look it this way then. All reports had DGB going somewhere besides Mizzou. Then the night before someone said he's a Tiger. He's been at mizzou last two weekends, just like DGB was. I'm telling you, call me that guy, Booker will be a Tiger.

-- Posted by mutigers77 on Wed, Oct 30, 2013, at 6:14 PM

I just got back from St. Louis, hadnt been at a computer all day. Wow there is a LOT of buzz! Evan Daniels, FOX Sports recruiting analyst (normally pretty spot on) and Jerry Meyer of 247 sports both are saying UK gets both guys.

I agree I thought that was a good sign for Mizzou. Although I heard a lot more Mizzou buzz around DGB than I have Booker.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 30, 2013, at 6:23 PM

Bill Self is at Whitney Young tonight to see Jahil Okafor. Kansas creep creep creeping up.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 30, 2013, at 6:25 PM

But were did those guys get the info they go off of for this prediction. I feel like we are just reflecting perceptions of the choice off each other now. I can't wait for it to be over. I hate these big commitment ceremonies

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Oct 30, 2013, at 7:06 PM

Hahaha exactly how I feel lol! I'm like where are they getting there info!? Me too, don't care much for them. Not there fault though. We glorify this kids so much that when they feel they finally have a decision, so much hoopla and years if recruiting, and visits, and blogs, and website articles, getting honored at colleges, and people making signs and chants for you, that you practically have to have a ceremony. We make it that big of a deal.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 30, 2013, at 7:22 PM

Last year every school that Julius Randle and his mom visited they had a red velvet cake for his mom. It got out that that was her favorite cake and every school had special made cakes made. I think she UNC had the best cake. But that's the kinda crap we do.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 30, 2013, at 7:25 PM
  • A Tiger guys! I do not care what sports analyst are saying. You are right, where are they getting their info? I'm telling you, I could be wrong, but when he and his family say he'll be a Tiger it's hard to dispute!

-- Posted by mutigers77 on Wed, Oct 30, 2013, at 8:39 PM

Crystal ball predictions now at 100% UK for Blackmon. For Booker they are 95% UK 5% Michigan 0% Mizzou.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 30, 2013, at 10:01 PM

No. 30 player Devin Robinson commits to Florida.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 30, 2013, at 11:44 PM

I have to say the crystal ball thing is stupid. What 95% of the guys voting on that thing know about a kid's relationship with 2-5 schools especially if they aren't affiliated with covering that school but are with another non related school.

What does the Georgia recruitment guy know about Booker? Nothing. What does he know about UK and Michigan. Winning programs that recruit well. So the perception over reality argument rears its head as a factor again.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 12:10 AM

I would have to agree!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 12:25 AM
  • Bunk and Buck, we will see just soon enough. Booker will make that announcement that he will follow his father's footsteps.

-- Posted by mutigers77 on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 7:54 AM

Ok I'm a Mizzou guy and I hope Booker comes to the place he belongs but unless Devin himself told you that Mutiger I wouldn't be that confident in the kid'd decision

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 8:29 AM
  • True, very true! But I'm that confident he'll be a Tiger. I said his family was my source. That is a true statement. But like I also said, unless he changes his mind at the last hour....like meaning today, he will be a Tiger.

-- Posted by mutigers77 on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 8:58 AM
  • He's a wildcat

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 9:31 AM

Hearing Booker to UK. Hearing some IU talk for Blackmon.

Kevon Looney will announce today as well. Could Florida get another commit!? Making a push for top recruiting class.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 9:47 AM

So is Blackmon going to recommit to Indiana? If he does than Mizzou is probably cooked with Booker. I wish Blackmon would announce first. The only thing I like about college basketball recruiting is that there is basically two signing day periods.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 10:04 AM
  • Fallsohard, you have inside info or just arguing for arguments sake?

-- Posted by mutigers77 on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 10:13 AM
  • all over twitter and power mizzou and Haith tweets.

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 10:19 AM

I personally don't think he will. But there's "whispers".

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 10:24 AM

Haith tweets those faith things everyday so that's not a good indicator

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 10:30 AM
  • Yeah Haith says that stuff on all the time. We will know in about 4 hrs. Like I said, I'm pretty confident he's a Tiger not a Wildcat

-- Posted by mutigers77 on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 10:55 AM

Hearing more IU chatter.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 11:14 AM

Kevon Looney commits to UCLA. Glad he didn't go to Florida.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 1:12 PM
  • One question though, when Booker announces he's a Tiger, will it be on tv or do we have to wait on social media?

-- Posted by mutigers77 on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 2:16 PM

It'll be streamed on computer, but pretty much social media. But I'll try and have it on here like right when it happens.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 2:21 PM
  • What is your hunch Buck?

-- Posted by mutigers77 on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 2:27 PM

He chose Kentucky

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 3:07 PM
  • What?????? Are you serious?!?

-- Posted by mutigers77 on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 3:08 PM
  • I can sit here and tell you I'm in shock! Yes his family said he was a Tiger. That was my source!

-- Posted by mutigers77 on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 3:10 PM

Just watched the stream he picked Kentucky and I shut it off. Very bummed. I assume Blackmon to Indiana now. It's hard to blame a kid when you could be the featured 2 guard on a national power with dozens of top recruits but I man I thought we had him

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 3:13 PM

Great pick up for UK! I think we will use him at the 3 also. He can play 2 and 3 with his size.

Looks like Blackmon prolly to IU. Just don't think they want to play on the same team.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 3:14 PM

With the addition of Booker UK's class goes to no. 3 in the nation.

Tyler Ullis tweets out that he told us all they were a package deal. So their friendship was stronger than many realized!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 3:17 PM
  • Really sad. Could have been a Mizzou legend following in his dads footsteps. He's just another recruit at Kentucky.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 3:20 PM

Really crappy note. Amount of time recruiting Booker: Michigan: 5 years, Michigan State: 4 years, Mizzou: 3 years, and UK: a whopping 5 months.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 3:34 PM

Jeff Goodman of ESPN is sticking with his prediction that Blackmon goes to Kentucky. I'm not real sure. On the other hand, I don't know why you would have an ESPN televised announcement if you are just recommiting, that would be weird and awkward. And it looks like the decision won't be until around 8.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 4:08 PM

Preseason AP poll released today:

1 Kentucky

2 Michigan State

3 Louisville

4 Duke

5 Kansas

6 Arizona

7 Michigan

8 Oklahoma State

8 Syracuse

10 Florida

11 Ohio State

12 North Carolina

13 Memphis

14 VCU

15 Gonzaga

16 Wichita State

17 Marquette

18 Connecticut

19 Oregon

20 Wisconsin

21 Notre Dame

22 UCLA

23 New Mexico

24 Virginia

25 Baylor

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 4:31 PM

D Book told Cal he was going to commit 3 days ago. Must have been why there was so much recent buzz.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 5:04 PM

Blackmon recommits to UI. I don't feel as bad for him not going to UK as I feel bad for the kid. Tom Crean seems like a cree...p...y dude haha

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 8:26 PM

Creen sorry. I do know at Indiana you get your face on a popcorn box. I mean who could pass that up lol!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 8:38 PM
  • Mutigers77.... Wrong!

-- Posted by Indiansfan4life on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 9:18 PM

Lakers scouts at UK's exhibition game tonight.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Nov 1, 2013, at 5:52 PM

No. 5 player in the nation Cliff Alexander cuts his list to 4 official schools.

DePaul

Illinios

Kansas

Memphis

So Mich. St. Is officially out. So Tom Izzo lost on Tyler Ullis, then yesterday Booker and Blackmon, and now his top prospect cuts him. He's having a rough couple days.

I like Kansas for Alexander.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Nov 1, 2013, at 6:04 PM

Few updates I heard over the weekend:

I looks like I'm hearing really good info that Alexander will commit to Kansas on the 14th. If thats the case it looks like Okafor and Jones will be headed to Duke, because on a few occasions Okafor has stated that he doesn't want to play with Alexander, they have similar roles. O and J also wanted to commit by the end of the month, still expected to be a package deal.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Nov 4, 2013, at 10:28 AM

Late breaking surprising news. #7 player in the nation Trey Lyles will announce his college decision at 12:50 TOMORROW at his high school. His head coach confirms. He was not expected to announce until the spring. He his down to Louisville and Kentucky. The two rivals. My guess is that the Booker /Blackmon decisions pushed his decision. Either he wanted to play with Blackmon at UK and now he's not there, or he wants to play with Booker. Guess we will see tomorrow. He visited Lville in the summer and UK for Big Blue Madness.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Nov 4, 2013, at 12:28 PM

I always like to see who players are following on Twitter themselves. In the last 4 people that Trey Lyles have followed are a high school girl who is known for being UK's biggest fan, at all the games, and does some sports writing, and Brad Calipari coach Cal's son. Could be positive signs for UK

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Nov 4, 2013, at 12:40 PM

Both Cal and Pitino met with Trey last week. His mind is clearly made up, and tomorrow is his birthday so he picked that day to decide, just picked it all of a sudden haha. Looks like both coaches will be made aware of his decision by this afternoon.

2016 Chaminade standout Jayson Tatum made a visit to the University of Illinios this week I believe.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Nov 4, 2013, at 2:05 PM

ESPN scrambled around and Lyles decision will be on ESPNU at 12:55 tomorrow.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Nov 4, 2013, at 2:07 PM

#7 player in the nation and top PF Trey Lyles commits to the Kentucky Wildcats over Louisville!!! 6'10 and can handle the ball, muscle anyone down low with post moves, hit the mid range jumper, and even step out for the 3. He moves Kentuckys 2014 Class to no. 1 at the present moment with him at #7, Karl Towns at #10 (only because he hasn't played AAU since he commited to UK last year, could be much higher, top 5), Booker #28 and Ullis #30. Lyles said he played with Ullis since 7th grade and that was a big factor. Ullis is starting to become as good of a recruiter as Cal haha. Also said he models his game after Demarcus Cousins. So great pick up for UK today!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Nov 5, 2013, at 12:12 PM
  • But most importantly, i get 15 bonus pts!! Go Cats!!!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Nov 5, 2013, at 12:44 PM

hahahahaha true true lol!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Nov 5, 2013, at 1:12 PM

In Cal's 6 recruiting classes he has had at Kentucky, Lyles becomes the 24th 5 star recruit, TWENTLY FOURTH. Lyles said today his main goal now is to recruit #6 player in the nation Stanley Johnson who was also at BBM with Lyles (Booker has said that is his main goal now as well). Booer and Lyles are both friends with Johnson, and he has mentioned on occasion that he would like to play with them. Although Johnson is a westcoast California guy, and many believe he will stay out that way. He visited USC this weekend. Many see Arizona as being his top spot, and UK and USC as tied for second. BBM was Johnson's first trip to the state of Kentucky. They will have to do some big time persauding to get him to come, but you never know it could happen.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Nov 5, 2013, at 1:17 PM

Out of the top 100 players in the nation, only 11 players remain on the board. Reid Travis will come off the board Friday, see him as being a Duke lean. Alexander should come off the board on the 14th, prolly for Kansas. Then Okafor and Jones should come off by the end of the month. That would drop it down to 7. Justin Winslow could follow suit really soon after O/J decision cause he wants to play with them. That would only leave 6 top 100 players after the start of December. Thats just crazy in my opinion, usually the top guys, top 10 or so, are spring decisions. This has been a really strange and odd recruiting class, I'm still not sold on them yet. Only notables that would be left for spring would be NO. 2 Myles Turner and NO. 6 Stanley Johnson.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Nov 5, 2013, at 1:23 PM

Towns and Lyle are both great students as well, both have a 4.0 GPA.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Nov 5, 2013, at 4:11 PM
  • I agree 100% Dean

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 7:16 AM

I think you underestimate Cal's recruiting power. He built up the notion that he develops 5 star players into lottery round draft picks better than anyone else in college basketball. This may be a myth but it doesn't matter because 90% of recruits and coaches buy it. I'm sure Cal would be all for getting a two year and out rule. He could sell recruits that it gives him more time to prepare them or pitch other recruits the chance to play with Player X who was all SEC as a freshman last year. He still continues to be a king maker and gets a chance to actually build a cohesive team. Notice that his national title team had several sophomores and a senior on it since they weren't ready for the nba yet and he was able to combine experience with fresh talent to win. I posit that the one and done rule is actually holding Cal back at this point in time.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 8:24 AM

Well I mean you are certainly entitled to that opinion, I have no problem with that. My really only reply is that Cal is a big proponent of kids coming back, has even said that he wished players like Daniel Orton and Archie Goodwin had come back because he felt they were not ready. These kids are players who would go to the NBA right out of high school if that was an option, but it's not. Cal recruits very hard the top 20 players in the nation (I mean don't you want to recruit the best?). Many of those players are going to go one and done, thats there choice and their opinion, Cal is not forcing anyone to leave. If they don't pan out, they made a mistake, not Cal. Too your Coach K point, he doesn't really even recruit those really really high ranked kids that are going to be 1 and done. EXCEPT now he has started recruiting those players. Kyrie Erving was one and done and played like what, 3 games??? Cal has never even had an one and done do that haha, his players at least played a year. Next year Coach K will have 2 one and done players, prolly 3. I see him getting Okafor and Jones, and prolly Winslow. Okafor is projected to be a No. 1 draft pick, just watch, they prolly all go after first year. That is just becoming the lay of the land in a since, and its because of these rules that the NBA and NCAA have created, not Cal. He is just making the most of the rule, recruiting those top guys. He hates that rule, and has petitioned to the NCAA to change it to either come out of high school after senior year and if you don't you have to do two years of college. I agree with you that college game and NBA would be better if the rules were tweaked, Cal does do. I don't like Duke, but I have the utmost respect for Coach K, Cal will prolly never be on that level. I think Cal is ahead of Self, and almost on the level with Roy and Pitino(Cal scum?? Look up all the violations Pitino has then look up how many Cal has).

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 8:26 AM

Definatley agree that the one and done rule is holding Cal back, good point. If everyone stayed till senior year this Cal team would have like 15 5 star recruits and 20 something McDonalds all americans

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 8:29 AM

You would have to name me an occupation were I could enter in on 80% potential and only 20% results/evidence and make 10 million plus in the first 4 years before I could negotiate another contract. You don't have to excel as a star in the NBA to make millions which is money these kids can only dream of. So if a kid busts he still made quite a bit as a rookie and will get another shot for at least 1-4 more years and make more money because a team will take risk on the potential and their development. There isn't another degree that grants access to a job that makes you that much even if you fail at it. These kids that don't pan out go down that "long dark road" with 7-8 figure profits usually.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 8:31 AM

That's why I can't really blame Devin Booker. If Cal says come play with me and these other top 30 recruits and look real good on the court and then I will teach you how to impress scouts and you can be a lottery pick in the NBA in 1-2 years here. Plus we will win a lot and everyone will love you and you don't have to be the STAR of the team and deal with that pressure. I mean sells me that I'm coming almost every time unless I'm really independent and want to trailblaze on my own and be the man at another school. It's a perfect pitch just about

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 8:38 AM
  • I am using Archie Goodwin, due to Buck mentioning him leaving earlier than he should have, which I firmly believe is the case and he needed another year in college to better develop his game. However, I can not blame the kid after looking at his annual income now.

Archie Goodwin Salary

2013-2014 $1,064,000

2014-2015 $1,112,280

That's guaranteed with club options for

2015-2016 $1,160,160

2016-2017 $2,094,089

I would have to agree with Bunk on the points of what other type of job can be obtain based 80% on potential that pays like that.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 9:44 AM
  • For most of those kids that do go and don't pan out they won't have a penny to their name after a few years. For one they're lucky if they get half of what their contract is and if they don't pan out they aren't getting another huge one.I mean have you seen the guys that have played for years that are bankrupt and you think a 19-25 year old kid is going to put anything back for later. Don't get me wrong i would love to be getting paid the money they do for playing a game. I just wish they would go to at least 2 years before they could go to the NBA because it would make college ball better and i don't really care for the NBA until playoffs start.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 9:57 AM

Great points, and Archie had the most minutes he has had all year last night in a great win for the season surprising 3-1 Suns (Suns tanking what!?) in a victory over the up and coming Pelicans. Goodwin logged 17 minutes with 3 points, 1 asst, and 2 rebounds. So he isn't even getting a lot of DNP like other draft picks, or scoring 0 points like this years one and done No. 1 pick Anthony Bennett (what a joke). The leading scorer for the Suns was Eric Bledsoe, 25 points, 5 asst, and 4 rebounds. He was a 1 and done player from Kentucky. The leading scorer for the Pelicans was Anthony Davis had a double-double with 17 pts, 11 reb, and 5 blocks. He was a one and done player from Kentucky. The Pelicans Austin Rivers, Duke one and done player (who I forgot to mention earlier) had zero points because he did not get into the game. So Archie made almost $13,000 last night, not to bad for 17 minutes work.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 10:02 AM

I agree two years would make the college ball better. But the NBA does not want a bunch of 17 year olds, and the NCAA doens't want to lose the money the big recruits bring in. It's all about the money.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 10:04 AM

Cliff Alexander will visit Kansas this weekend. His girlfriend plays on the Kansas womens team, and he will be going to watch her game.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 10:08 AM

So BIGLEW I'm supposed to blame Cal for the pattern of young men wasting fortunes 90% of Americans wouldn't have a chance of having? If Goodwin has decent 2nd half next year he will get PAID. Look at John Wall( more Kentucky one and dones. He largely underachieved his first two-three years in the league. Really had a good second half last year and the Wizards basically gave him all the money and said please be consistent this contract.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 10:09 AM

I think basketball would be better if adopted the baseball rule of go pro out of high school or stay three years. But as buck alluded to colleges want fresh stars to advertise around to bring in revenues and the NBA doesn't a bunch of untested kids who can't play in the league forcing out veterans too soon. You think just a mandatory two year rule would be agreeable to both parties but as we have seen NBA teams plan on future success from these studs years in advance attempting to tank to get one or two so changing the rule screws up a lot of GMs and Owner's plans

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 10:15 AM

Hearing tiney tiny rumors that we could soon see a continuation of a trend that started a couple years ago that I see more detrimental than the one and done rule. I'm hearing that a few 2015 top ranked players could reclassify and become part of the 2014 class and commit this year. But the ones I'm hearing about wouldn't be eligble to go to the NBA until the 2016 draft, so I don't know why you would do that.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 10:29 AM

Well if you reclassify that way than it benefits a schools scholarship limit. The other problem is recruits staying back a year in middle school to gain an advantage in standing out as a recruit. It makes the whole recruitment even messier because recruits are trying to get ranked higher as recruits and translate that to higher draft stock by sacrificing socially and educationally.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 10:34 AM

For those who haven't heard Kansas State is giving away a special treat to those who come out and support the first womens basketball game. the special treat is a FREE PLATE OF BACON!! Well played Kansas State, well played.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 11:46 AM
  • I dont get it

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 11:57 AM

College kids love bacon man, I mean who wouldn't want a free plate of bacon!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 11:59 AM
  • Oh i get it!! I think Ramen noodles would fill the seats better, in my humble opinion.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 12:02 PM

Hahaha you are prolly right!

Cal visited no. 1 2015 player Malik Newman in Mississippi last night (I think he would be top 3 regardless of class) ((also one of the names I'm hearing for reclassification))

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 12:22 PM
  • Uh ohh, now he's intruding on sideline's territory, better watch out!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 12:34 PM

Haha true true! Devin Booker is from Miss. too though.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 12:40 PM

Rockets, Lakers, and Clippers will all have scouts at Kentucky's game Friday.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 9:23 PM

Looks like Kansas may be backing off Cliff Alexander, therefor going all out for the Duke lean package deal of Okafor and Jones. This Alexander deal is really fishy. First he is a big favorite to go to Kentucky, then Cal backs off of him all of a sudden like, and Kentucky has not filled anyone at his position (I really believe he would have commited to UK, big time UK lean). Now Bill Self is backing off of him. Neither of these coaches just back off of a guy, no matter how many people you already have on a team (see this years Kentucky team with burger boys sitting the bench). So I think theres more than meets them eye to this recruitment. I've been hearing some grumblings about Chicago players for a while now, and hearing that there are some "middlemen" that are controling the recruitment (don't really know what that means though, AAU coaches maybe?) So don't be surprised if you hear more develop around Alexander.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Nov 7, 2013, at 8:30 AM

Tom Izzo at Michigan State kinda backed off as well, they are no longer on his list.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Nov 7, 2013, at 8:33 AM

Isn't that how it works in big cities for recruits though? Especially Chicago which places a huge emphasis on high school basketball.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Nov 7, 2013, at 11:02 AM

Yeah I would think it would be, just sounds like one of them might be getting a little pushy or asking for some cash or something.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Nov 7, 2013, at 11:24 AM

Well we all sorta know that has been the deal with basketball recruits. It's a sport dominated by so few players that you puts them in a uniquely powerful position. Cal got around it for the most part because he dangles that NBA dream and that money deferred so for the most part he in theory is handling that problem of money hungry middlemen. There are always gonna be pseudo agents for high school players looking to get theirs while leading kids astray.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Nov 7, 2013, at 11:34 AM

Ole Miss can't compete for big time recruits even in state. We don't have the facilities, the reputation, nor the fanbase to really draw in big time recruits. Once we build the new arena, things will start to change a bit but the Tad Pad is a dump. Kennedy has mainly been targeting international guys. We have a good pipeline with Sunrise Christian Academy in Kansas. Next year, we should have at least four or five guys from outside the US. Point I'm making is that we won't be a factor for Malik Newman.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Nov 7, 2013, at 2:23 PM
  • Maybe on day the nba will get tired of their league sucking so bad, over ran with guys who think they're better than they are,guys who can't play, that they'll do something to change it.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Nov 8, 2013, at 7:07 AM

Reid Travis commits to Stanford. Duke now only has 1 2014 commit, and he's not like anything special. Better come hard for Okafor/Jones

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Nov 8, 2013, at 4:50 PM

76ers scouts will also be at UK's opener tonight as well as Rockets, Clippers, and Lakers as I stated earlier.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Nov 8, 2013, at 5:36 PM

Lakers and 76ers back at Rupp for UK's afternoon game against Northern Kentucky.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Nov 10, 2013, at 1:52 PM

Montaque Gill-Caesar, a five-star wing in 2015, is taking an unofficial visit to Kentucky today. UK's been after him for a while. Also one that Iv heard could reclassify. He goes to the same prep school that Andrew Wiggins went to, and Wiggins reclassified.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Nov 10, 2013, at 2:14 PM

Julius Randle wins CBSsports Freshman player of the week and Player of the week. In the first two games he had 45 points and 30 rebounds in 55 minutes of play. That is a UK record for a freshman in both points and rebounds. No freshman has ever had that many points in two games, and no freshman has ever had that many rebounds in two games. Not John Wall (#1 pick in NBA draft), not Demarcus Cousins (#5 pick), not Anthony Davis (#1 pick), Not Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (#2 pick), and Not Nerlens Noel (#6 pick). I think we are looking at next years #1 Draft pick.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Nov 11, 2013, at 9:28 AM

For tomorrows Champions Classic in Chicago with Kentucky vs. Michigan St. and Duke vs. Kansas there are expected to be 80 NBA scouts. 73 have already request scout passes, and a few more are expected to get them today. The Chicago Bulls don't have to get them since its in their stadium. These are gonna be some awesome games tomorrow with top teams in the nation!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Nov 11, 2013, at 9:30 AM

Yeah that is a possible final four preview.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Nov 11, 2013, at 9:34 AM

For sure. Hearing many people say that these games will be more exciting than the Final Four. And the Champions Classic has been renued to 2016 I believe. UK will play Kansas next year, then Duke, the Mich St. again. So that'll be a fun one for a few years!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Nov 11, 2013, at 9:41 AM

Upper tip top level seats tickets are going for $300 a piece. Holy Crap, hate to see what some of the lower levels are.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Nov 11, 2013, at 9:46 AM

Yeah much better than Mizzou's initial non con schedule this year. Las Vegas Invitational we get two cupcakes then northwestern and Nevada. Pioneers of basketball right there.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Nov 11, 2013, at 9:56 AM

Hahaha too funny! Mizzou not in that Battle 4 Atlantis this year!? They got great competition out of that last year!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Nov 11, 2013, at 10:04 AM

I don't know what happened to the battle 4 but we aren't going, Duke isn't, I don't think Louisville is either.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Nov 11, 2013, at 10:36 AM

FYI:

Okafor & Jones will be attending the Duke Blue Devils and Kansas Jayhawks game the day before the initial signing day of the early period. Early signing day is November 13th, and then that period ends on November 20th. Okafor has said before he wanted to make a decision before his senior season started so it would be surprising if the indecision went past the 20th.

-- Posted by Haterade on Mon, Nov 11, 2013, at 3:21 PM

Yeah I see them deciding sometime in that period like you state. Prolly going to the game in part ot notify the coachs on what decision they will be making. Hearing LOTS of indications that Kansas is now the leader.

Cliff Alexander will decide on Friday. Hasn't cut any schools. Might be Illini for him.

Julius Randle was named SEC Player of the Week today as well.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Nov 11, 2013, at 3:34 PM

Wes Clark was SEC freshman of the week though

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Nov 11, 2013, at 4:24 PM

Yes, he was.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Nov 11, 2013, at 4:41 PM

Okafor and Jones will both announce Friday November 15th at 3pm at their prospective high schools. Package deal is still on.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Nov 11, 2013, at 9:10 PM
  • Those are going to be some good games today but it will prolly be a FT shooting contest this early in the season.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Nov 12, 2013, at 8:08 AM

haha I agree BIGELW. I think in the long run that rule will be good and help basketball, but right now gosh its a foulathon. MSU only had 14 fouls in their previous game though, so that worries me a bit.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Nov 12, 2013, at 8:22 AM

Most of the Chicago Bulls have confirmed that they will be in attendance for the games, including Derrick Rose (who said he is a big Andrew Harrison fan), except Jimmy Butler who said "these guys (MSU, UK, KU, and Duke) can't even hang with Marquette". Ummmm is the NBA's substance abbuse policy still in effect!? What is Jimmy Buckets smoking.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Nov 12, 2013, at 8:25 AM

So Jones, Okafor, and Alexander will all announce Friday. When Okafor and Jones released a statement last night saying they would commit Friday, a chicago tribune reporter (where Okafor and Alexander are from) reported that he had talked to Okafors father and dad said that Okafor and Alexander would NOT attend the same college. So that was really big news and lots of rumors went wild (notably that Okafor and Jones would go to Kansas). Then the reporter came out and appologized because Okafors father did not say that. So this is a big mess. I sure would hate to be a coach that is recruiting in Chicago.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Nov 12, 2013, at 9:58 AM

Still hearing more rumors that Montaque Gill-Ceasar is considering reclassifying. He has a scholarship offer from Mizzou as well.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Nov 12, 2013, at 9:59 AM

MGC's ranked 19th in 2015 class.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Nov 12, 2013, at 10:01 AM

Hearing news today that MGC is academically able to re-classify if he so choses.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Nov 12, 2013, at 5:33 PM
  • The term "Beast " is used a lot but how about Randle for Big Blue!

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Tue, Nov 12, 2013, at 8:45 PM

He's a very good player. I really do believe he can be the #1 pick. He has scored with that spin move several times tonight with a triple team.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Nov 12, 2013, at 8:56 PM

Mich St. Wins the first game 78-74.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Nov 12, 2013, at 9:06 PM

Glad Andrew Wiggins got that hair cut. I think it was weighing him down haha!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Nov 12, 2013, at 9:18 PM

Devin booker had 39 points and 18 rebounds in their win tonight. WOW!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Nov 12, 2013, at 9:31 PM

Hearing LOTS of talk that Stanley Johnson, so addiment about signing in the spring, could be signing early. I would say that's not a good sign for UK.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Nov 12, 2013, at 10:07 PM

Kansas wins the second game 94-83 . If November 12th, really the start of college basketball is any indication, this is going to be one exciting year!!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Nov 12, 2013, at 11:39 PM
  • Based on last night's performances I think Parker had the best all around game. Randle is a beast in the paint but had way to many TO. It hurt Wiggins picking up 2 quick fouls as far as his stat line but he prolly has the most overall skills than any of them. I think it will be Wiggins or Parker that goes #1 they just have a much better skill set.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 7:28 AM

It'll be interesting to watch all 3 develop this year that's for sure.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 8:43 AM

Stanley Johnson will announce on Friday at 3 on ESPNU. So now 4 of the top 10 will announce then. ESPNU ratings will go crazy.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 8:46 AM

My predictions

#1 Jahil Okafor and #4 Tyus Jones: Kansas

#5 Cliff Alexander: Illinois

#7 Stanley Johnson: Arizona

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 8:51 AM

So after watching Kentucky they are so close to unbeatable it's scary. They have to improve ball security, transistion, and free throws. Those are all very correctable.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 9:01 AM
  • Minus randle i was unimpressed with self proclaimed greatest recruiting class of all time.

- Randle reminded me of a left handed Hansbrough. He's a beast, just made too many careless, soft passes and turnovers last night.

- Harrison twins are slow footed and can play no defense and looked to me like they were out to get their own instead of playing for the team. It's been talked about for over a year now that they are me, me, me, instead of team, team, team, so we shall see how john handles that the rest of the year.

- Young wants to and can score, but his defensive effort was embarrassing. Got beat back on transition a hand full of times i remember off the top of my head. Doesn't work out too well if you score 20, but give up 15-20 because lack of effort and motivation to play defense.

- Lee & Johnson, are they still on the team?? I see them going the same route as kyle wiltjer did.

I was way more impressed with ku's freshmen and that says alot considering i dislike ku almost as much as i dislike uk!

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 9:09 AM

Totally agree Bunk. They missed 16 free throws and had 17 turnovers, and lost by 4. Your right it will be scary come march. I'm really glad they had this tough test this early. They were crying in the locker room after the game just like the 012 title team did. They will learn lessons from this.

Dr. Basketball I honestly stopped reading after you said Randle could be a left handed Hansbrough. They are Freshman and have things to work on. You probably didn't even watch there first two games did you!? As you stated you dislike UK and I don't think you have an unbiased opinion.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 9:17 AM
  • I agree with their defense but they are freshman and lets be real most of them never played much D in high school but if they don't commit to getting better defensively they won't have a chance of being a final 4 caliber team.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 9:22 AM

Yep gotta get better on D. And Randle played a lot of perimeter in HS. So he's transitioning out of that. And yeah not a lot of D in high school. So for the biggest game they've ever played, in front of the most fans they've ever played in front of, I thought they did pretty darn good. Real proud of the way they battled back and outplayed MSU in the second half.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 9:28 AM

Also I watched a lot of Mizzou SIU and Mizzou is gonna be a team firmly on the bubble. Unless Post, Jankovic, and Rosburg get tougher inside and rebound we are in a lot of trouble. Everybody in the world loves Earnest Ross but his three point shot is so inconsistent that he can't be counted on score. Clarkson is good but he isn't a PG he is a nice 2. Clark needs to start.

All that said I think that Mizzou will work some kind of offense out. They will either shift to the 4 shooters with 1 post player using Jank as a shooter and a rebounder defensively. The biggest problem is the defense. If they don't learn to rotate correctly and rotate quickly they are going to lose to Kentucky by 40 at home .

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 9:30 AM

Also Cal and several of the players in interviews said they have worked on virtually no defense in practice yet. And that was said before this game.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 9:31 AM

What was the score of that game Bunk!? Seen the halftime score where they were up by a couple, but never saw a final.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 9:32 AM

Yeah the Wildcats just got to get the basketball IQ up. Example on that last score by Michigan State. Randle rolled out after I think Harris drove to basket. I guess he decided that it was a score or that they would somehow get a rebound without him. Left Dawson free for the tip in because no could block him out.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 9:34 AM

Well they were up 1 at half and then they like 72-59 I think. A lot of it was Clarkson giving up on being a passing PG and just drove to bucket and got fouled a lot. Huge free throw disparity and it was the difference.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 9:37 AM
  • Well Rosburg isn't that good and when they signed Post i was suprised it wasn't like he did much in JUCO.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 9:40 AM

Yeah it's just little fundamental things that they can learn in practice that they have to correct.

Ahh I see! Thanks.

Jakeenan Gant signed with Mizzou. They now have a top 25 recruiting class.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 9:40 AM

Yeah it looks like it's probably just Wright and Gant this time around. We might pry Barnett away from Texas though so you never know.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 9:43 AM

Devin Booker will sign his NIT Friday. I think Ullis and Towns will sign today.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 9:43 AM
  • What did randle do last night that was so much different than what hansbrough did all through college? He just out muscled his way around the rim for layups and shot alot of free throws. he didn't knock down 3's, he didn't beat people off the dribble and pull up for 15 footers, he out muscled everyone, i don't see how i was that far off a comparison? Not that there is anything wrong, with that, because Hansbrough is arguably one of the best college players ever.

And you are right, i don't like kentucky, but it's not the players i dislike it is the scumbag coach and the majority of their fanbase that gets under my skin. it drives me absolutely nuts when uk fans lose a game early and then say we are young, wait until march because we are going to be awesome, because they think they are the only team that is going to get better throughout the season. I've talked to a handful of uk fans today already and they said, if that game was played in march, we win by 20, yeah because michigan state has peaked their 2nd game of the season!

That is my rant for the week, proceed with the discussion!

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 9:50 AM

Okafor and Jones are officially down to Duke and Kansas. like we didn't already know that haha. And Johnson is down to Arizona, USC, and UK. Still think he is a heavy Arizona lean though.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 9:57 AM

Randle currently leads the NCAA in points and rebounds.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 11:23 AM

Trey Lyles will sign his NLI today at 4:15. So all UK's current commits should be signed by Friday.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 11:56 AM

Ole Miss got their LOIs from all four of their commits today so another good class in the books.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 1:21 PM

Thats awesome! Always a relief when the actual letter gets in, then its official.

Something got me thinking, when last night two Knicks scouts were sitting courtside. They are actually having to do some work and study these players. Its crazy that the Knicks could very well be in the mix for the Randle/Parker/Wiggins/Exum sweepstakes haha! I thought the Knicks were supposed to be the next big thing... opps!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 1:36 PM

The Knicks have a lot of issues (and poor ownership) but I still think they'll be a 6-8 seed in the playoffs. The East is so mediocre outside of your Pacers, Heat, Bulls, Nets that it would be tough for them to be in the lottery.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 1:43 PM

Yeah those are good points. It's just going to depend on how those teams that people expect to be bad play this year. Currently 76ers, Celtics, Raptors, Pacers, Bulls, Cavs, Heat, Hawks, Bobcats, and Magic are all ahead of the Knicks, and I could see the Wizards improving and becoming a playoff team by years end (they need a new coach, don't care for him). So it'll be interesting to see how teams like 76ers, celtics, bobcats, wizards, and cavs finish out the year.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 2:04 PM

The sample size is quite small though considering we aren't ten games into the season.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 2:13 PM

Also do we even know if the Knicks have a draft pick? I mean it seemed like they traded away the right to draft players when they traded for Marbury and Melo. They may have a 1st round draft to a team in turkey for a vending machine and bench coach for all we know

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 2:18 PM

I expect all those teams besides the three obvious to fall behind the Knicks at some point. The Knicks are going to scrap into the fifth seed and lose in five games.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 2:20 PM

For some reason I'm thinking they don't. I think Woodson is gone after this year.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 2:20 PM

What if the Nets don't make the playoffs, which could happen, prolly not, but I could see it happening. Then the Celtics would have 2 picks in the top 10 of the draft. and boy is this the year that you would love to have that!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 3:30 PM

And Bunk would celebrate like he just hit a field goal to win the Super Bowl.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 3:34 PM

Ahh so we got a Celtics fan on our hands haha! So yall are mizzou-Ole Miss fans and Celtic-Laker fans. Dang that must go over well haha!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 4:01 PM

Well the Sikeston-Cardinal-Rams fan hood helps make it more of a discussion based friendship when it comes to sports than straight fan to fan antagonism.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 4:31 PM

I'm positive the nets will get the 4th seed though. That pick is probably protected anyway but you never know the nets GM is stupid.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 4:33 PM

The 2010 NBA Finals were especially fun. Also fun were watching Bunk's reactions of horror and disbelief every time the Celtics picked in the last two drafts.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 5:05 PM

Well at least they now won't take Fab Melo are now infamous words between Sideline, Mini Sideline, and others .

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 6:12 PM

Kansas won the Duke-Kansas matchup earlier this week. Who wil win todays rematch when Duke takes on Kansas to land the commitment for Okafor and Jones and the #1 recruiting class. We will have to stayed tuned in and see where they go on ESPU at 3 today. Alexander and Johnson will also be announcing then.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Nov 15, 2013, at 10:14 AM

No. 32 overall player decommited for Louisville about a month ago, then commited to Illinois. Now he has decommited from Illinois, informed them of the decision about 30 minutes ago, and signed a NLI with Louisville and has already faxed it in and its been recieved. all I can say is WOW.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Nov 15, 2013, at 10:17 AM

I wanted want any part of that guy. Louisville on the other hand doesn't care at all.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Nov 15, 2013, at 10:18 AM

Okafor and Jones to Duke! Thank God it wasn't Kansas!!!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Nov 15, 2013, at 3:08 PM

Alexander picks Kansas. He picked up the Illinois hat, acted like he was going to put it on, then put on the Kansas hat. What a loser thug. Then he mumbled with one hand on his face and didnt even look at the camera while giving 3 word answers to ESPN questions. ESPN announcers didn't care for it. That's not fair to John Groce of the Ilini who put in a lot of hard work. No wonder UK and Mich. St. Stopped recruiting him. Hard day for the Illini though.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Nov 15, 2013, at 3:23 PM

Stanley Johnson to Arizona. Reveals the decision with the Arizona logo on a pair if Jordan 3's. much cooler and original than the bait and switch hat trick.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Nov 15, 2013, at 3:35 PM

No.15 player in the class of 2015 SG Luke Kennard was in attendance for UK's 87-49 victory over Robert Morris last evening. This is his 4th time visiting Kentucky since he received a scholarship offer.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Nov 18, 2013, at 11:23 AM

New AP top ten:

1. MSU

2. Kansas

3. Louisville

4. UK

5. Arizona

6. Duke

7. Okla State

8. Ohio State

9. Syracuse.

10. VCU

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Nov 18, 2013, at 11:27 AM

Kentucky, USC, Louisville, SMU, Indiana & UCLA are the finalists for 2014 Findlay Prep forward Jonah Bolden. He is #24 in the nation, 1 of the top 100 left. UK hadnt really been in his recruitment or offered a scholarship, but they made the cut and are really ramping up their interest.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Nov 18, 2013, at 8:47 PM

Hearing that #10 Justise Winslow one of the last of the top 100 could announce tomorrow. Keeping it real close to the vest though on where he will go.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 20, 2013, at 10:24 AM

Hearing a lot of buzz today that the Knicks may be interested in Calipari. I don't know why Cal would leave for a team that is less talented than the one he has now though.

Still waiting for that Winslow announcement. I like Duke, with UCLA a strong 2nd.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Nov 21, 2013, at 1:55 PM

Justise Winslow to Duke. They now have #1 recruiting class. But Coach K doesn't recruit 1 and done players right..... what!? oops

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Nov 21, 2013, at 4:14 PM

My opinion is everyone (top programs) recruit 1 and done players. Cal is just better at getting them. Those who hate on Cal for it or claim there coach doesn't recruit those types are just sour theyre not getting them.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Nov 21, 2013, at 4:23 PM

Cal doesn't have a single NCAA violation. So until you actually know facts, not just from some publication, it's just "hearsay". To have a top class you have to also have a top program, duh. So no he didn't at Umass or Memphis. And it's not Kentucky aura, I don't think Kentucky had any #1 classes before Cal. Now they've had 5. So what would you say the difference is!? Calipari. And coach K has already had 1 and done players. The funniest thing is no where was I comparing Coach K and Coach Cal, you inferred that. Just like a Duke fan to be salty. I was just commenting on the fact so many people say Coach K is holier than thou and doesn't recruit 1 and done players. When for one he already has, and 2nd he now has the projected #1 pick in the next two drafts, no. 5 pick, and no. 10 pick. All being freshman. Yes at this point it is all projected, but that's all we have to go off of. When draft time rolls around we will see who was right. Once again Iv also never said Coach Cal is better than Coach K. Coach K is a better coach than Calipari. There I have no problem saying that. Coach K is 1 of the best ever. Cal has a lot of catching up to do to get to him. So nope not jealous at all

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Nov 21, 2013, at 10:03 PM
  • As a Duke fan, I would have to say that Coach K will recruit the best available players that he feels fits into his program. So, whether it's one and done players (yes he has done it before) or it's the nucleus guys that stick around for 3-4 years to help stabilize a program. Coach Cal doesn't have any actual violations against him, just the programs that he left behind. I will not make up facts based on "hearsay" because personally I don't believe Coach Cal is a snake, but rather someone that pushes the rules to the limit and works them into his favor, such as "one and done" rule. He has a history of getting guys to the league, so of course they want to play for him with other extremely talented guys. Their practices are loaded with NBA scouts, so who wouldn't want to go there to play? I am glad to hear that Duke has another #1 class for next year and I might add, after reading reports from Parker's dad that he may stay for 2-3 years is what his dad was insisting. However, if he leaves after 1 year, so what? He will be a top 3 pick with millions of dollars offered to him, so who wouldn't pass that up?

-- Posted by sm0723 on Fri, Nov 22, 2013, at 8:57 AM

I couldn't think of many who would pass that up haha. Do you think Okafor and Jones will recruit Parker to stay another year!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Nov 22, 2013, at 9:55 AM
  • It wouldn't shock me if Okafor and Jones try and I hope they are able to convince him to wait at least another year because I would love to see those 3 on the same court for Duke. I also wouldn't be surprised to see him leave, so whatever happens I am a pretty contented Duke fan haha.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Fri, Nov 22, 2013, at 10:36 AM

I think if they were somehow able to convince him to stay, it would be national championship or bust. Def the front runners haha!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Nov 22, 2013, at 10:46 AM
  • Yeah, I would definitely agree with that haha...

-- Posted by sm0723 on Fri, Nov 22, 2013, at 11:09 AM

Bump

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Nov 23, 2013, at 9:38 AM

UK's James Young was named SEC Freshman of the Week.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Nov 25, 2013, at 11:50 AM

New AP basketball poll:

1) Michigan St.

2) Kansas

3) Kentucky

4) Arizona

5) Oklahoma St.

6) Duke

7) Ohio St.

8) Cuse

9) L'Ville

10) Wisc.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Nov 25, 2013, at 1:59 PM
  • Im bummed buck cuz mizzou looks not so great so far. But its early, we shall see....

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Nov 25, 2013, at 3:06 PM
  • I'm the biggest Mizzou fan there is but they aren't going to beat any good teams this year or next unless they get alot of help from some new guys. Their front court is the worst i think it has ever been really, we couldn't do any better than Post and Rosburg.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Nov 26, 2013, at 10:52 AM

Five-star shooting guard Luke Kennard was in Rupp Arena again tonight, sitting behind the UK bench. His 5th visit since July.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 27, 2013, at 8:21 PM

UK's Aaron Harrison was named SEC Freshman of the week. Thats the third week in a row that UK has had an SEC of the week honor.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Dec 2, 2013, at 1:24 PM
  • that's not impressive considering the awful SEC teams

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Mon, Dec 2, 2013, at 1:34 PM

I wouldn't say that the sec is all awful teams this year. Mizzou has become a surprising second half team and found a closer in Clarkson that they desperately needed last year. Ole Miss looks better than advertised as well with Summers and Marshall both being really good like we thought and the emergence of DeMarco Cox. Florida and Tennessee still look good and Kentucky is rough and rounding into shape. That's 5 good solid tourney teams which is not bad.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Dec 2, 2013, at 1:43 PM

I was just stating facts, not really saying if it was impressive or non-impressive.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Dec 2, 2013, at 2:34 PM

5'9 UK commit Tyler Ulis with 30 points, 7 assists and 5 rebounds in his game today.

UK commit Trey Lyles with 30 points, 19 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 blocks, 2 steals. 10/16 FGs. 9/14 FTs.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Dec 7, 2013, at 2:50 PM

UK recruit Montaque Gill-Caesar led Huntington Prep with 19 points in 24 mins. 7/10 on FGs in win over Atlanta Sports Academy.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Dec 7, 2013, at 3:47 PM

UK signee Devin Booker had 40 points in a loss tonight to Ballard in the Marshall County Hoopfest

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Dec 7, 2013, at 9:02 PM

UK signee Trey Lyles had 22 pts and 14 rebounds in a win against Huntington Prep. So that is 52 points and 33 rebounds over 2 games against some very stiff competition.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Dec 7, 2013, at 10:56 PM

Only 3 players left in the Top 100 for the 2014 class. #2 Myles Turner, #13 Rashad Vaughn, and #22 JaQuan Lyle. UK has really turned up the heat on Rashad after not hearing about him for months, he seemed to be an Iowa lock. Jerry Meyer has even flipped his crystal ball prediction of Rashad Vaughn to Kentucky. I think its kinda odd, not in a good or bad way, that only 3 are left and its not even Christmas yet. I do like the early signing period, and it seems like the players do to, seeing as how almost all of them are using it.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Dec 10, 2013, at 9:55 AM
  • Well Kentucky's yet to beat a ranked team and while they'll get better still not going to be good enough to win it all.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 12:45 PM

I would have to agree with you BIGELW. They will get better, and they are going to have to drastically improve to win it all. Right now they are playing "sluggish" and "thuggish". Although I have no problems with playing tough teams like UNC and Mich. St. this early in the season, and then Louisville coming up in a few a days. So I only have a problem with 1 of their losses. On another note, I do not believe that Arizona, Syrcuse, Ohio St., and Wisconsin are the best 4 teams in the nation, I just don't think theyve played hardly anybody. The good thing about college basketball is that that will all pan out eventually. In college football those teams would be playing for the national championship.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 1:20 PM
  • I agree with Ohio st. and Wisconsin not being a top 4 team.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Dec 17, 2013, at 7:58 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: