Other College Sports Discussion: How is your National Signing Day going?

Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 6, 2013, at 10:30 AM:

As an Ole Miss fan, mine is going great. The Rebels sign the top player in the nation in DE Robert Nkemdiche along with top OT Laremy Tunsil, top WR Laquon Treadwell, top JUCO player DT Lavon Hooks, a top three safety in Antonio Conner, and many other awesome recruits to put us as a consensus top ten recruiting class, top five by some recruiting services. It has essentially been a commercial for Ole Miss on ESPNU and ESPN all day. Anybody else enjoying all of the signings?

Replies (31)

I bet you are having a great one haha! Sports Illustrated's website also looks like a OM commercial with the big picture of Nkemdiche on the home page. Looks like Kentucky might have their greatest recruiting class of all time. I still don't think they will be that great until they learn how to dribble the football. Also Miami has a good class with 13, 5 star recruits, hopefully they are back on track.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Feb 6, 2013, at 10:34 AM
  • Party like its 1962. Or if you just wanna go to there last conference championship...errr... 1963

-- Posted by NeverWasBeen on Wed, Feb 6, 2013, at 10:43 AM
  • Honest Question for all posters, would you rather class A or Class B:

Class A, 5 Kids inside the top 200, 2-5 Star, 3-4 Star.

Class B, 12 Kids inside the top 200, 0-5 Star, 12-4 Star.

-- Posted by NeverWasBeen on Wed, Feb 6, 2013, at 10:52 AM

Class B for me.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Feb 6, 2013, at 10:57 AM

Sideline I don't know if you listen/watch the Dan Patrick show, but Hugh Freeze had a good interview on there today. You can always here replays on danpatrick.com.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Feb 6, 2013, at 11:15 AM

I saw the interview Buck and enjoyed it.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 6, 2013, at 2:59 PM

Yeah I liked it. I'm not very familiar with Freeze, but I like how he has stood up and really defended his program after all the hate he is getting.

Kentucky just got their highest ranked recruit yet this year. That should put them into the top 25 for the first time ever. Coach Stoops has done a remarkable job with such short notice.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Feb 6, 2013, at 3:26 PM

Freeze is a great man and great leader. If you have time to spare, google The Season: Ole Miss football. It is a weekly half-hour long series that the athletic department films and puts together each week like Hard Knocks from HBO that profiles the team leading up to the game each week and during. The extended cut of the one from Egg Bowl week is very good as well as the special hour-long from the BBVA Compass Bowl. You can see why those kids got behind him so quickly and get up to play for him.

Coach Stoops is a good coach for Kentucky and will definitely be a guy who I think can bring them out of the cellar of the SEC. The only problem is that the SEC is chock full of so many good coaches/recruiters nowadays that it is so tough to get a leg up. It is amazing that Gary Pinkel at Mizzou seems like he is now competing to not be last in the SEC coaching heirarchy.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 6, 2013, at 3:38 PM
  • Missouri's recruiting class included no five-stars and one four-star prospect, Fort Zumwalt South running back Chase Abbington, to go with 17 three-star recruits, a collection that is regarded as one of the worst in the Southeastern Conference.

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-school/football/top-prospect-elliott-sticks-...

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 12:20 AM

Johnny Manziel was a 3 star - just food for thought. Pinkel has brought Mizzou back to relevance. However, last year was terrible - some because of injuries and some because of play calling, etc. I think that he should have one more season to save his job. 4-4 in the SEC and 8-4 overall would probably be sufficient for Alden to retain him. The SHOULD go undefeated in noncon.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 9:51 AM
  • I was hoping the move to sec would enhance recruiting but it appears to not be the case. I'll try to tap in to some of ur optimism yah-yah!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 10:24 AM

I'm not saying they will go 8-4. I'm saying that would probably keep Pinkel around. More food for thought: Mizzou's class would have had them 5th in the Big 12, according to ESPN.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 10:34 AM

I'm projecting them around 5-7 or 6-6. That recruiting class was comically bad compared to their current conference members this season.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 11:42 AM

Where do you see your Rebels, sideline? I'm guessing 9-3.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 12:10 PM

Bringing back all we have along with the guys we are getting who are instant impact, I have our ceiling being around 10-2 with losses only to A&M and Alabama but feel like 7-5 or 8-4 would be a resounding success. We are still rebuilding in a lot of ways and still don't have a lot of depth but things are looking very good. The first stretch where we open the college football season for everyone on Thursday night against Vandy and our third game at Texas will help to dictate how good we can be.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 12:20 PM

Within this current recruiting class for Ole Miss, the guys who I see getting time within the current rotation for next season would be

5-star DE Robert Nkemdiche

5-star WR Laquon Treadwell

5-star OT Laremy Tunsil

4-star DE Lavon Hooks

4-star S Antonio Conner

4-star CB Nick Brassell (if he can make his grades)

3-star TE AJ Jackson

3-star TE Christian Morgan (we only have freshman TEs)

4-star RB Kailo Moore (world class speed so kick/punt return)

4-star RB Mark Dodson

3-star WR Quadarias Mireles (kick/punt return)

Ole Miss shuffles a lot of kids in and out on offense and defense. Coach Freeze wants to almost get a rotation going as he wants to move at a ridiculously fast pace so a lot of guys have an opportunity to contribute especially when they are as good of players as what the Rebels are getting.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 12:33 PM
  • Ur enjoying this, arentya sideline, whilst my tiggers go down in flames.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 1:14 PM

I'm enjoying the renewed relevancy of my college football team. We wound up having to absolutely bottom out as an athletic program in order to get it done and get rid of some of the good ole boy problems the program had but I am enjoying that we are clearly on the up and up.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 1:45 PM

Luckily for Mizzou unless we got Studs like Robert Nkemdiche they wouldnt have played with a LOT returning players... 16ish returning starters on this team 1 of the guys Mizzou loses is the backup rb anyway if Josey is healthy agaiin I see mizzou being at best... If Mizzou doesnt make a bowl game this year Gary should lose his job the Next day... They should win all 4 non confrence games and will have definite chances to win at vandy at UK and at home against tenn

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 2:05 PM

I didnt finish my thoughht i think again they could top out at about 8-4 just like last year

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 2:07 PM

oh and JJ watt was a 2 star recuit

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 2:08 PM

where as Michael Keck from Harrisonville who never played a down at mizzou was a 4 star recuit.. It all about upside and how hard you work if I was a Mizzou coach Id be telling them everyday they have to out work everyone and that they were accordingg to everyone else the worse recuiting class in the SEC

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 2:16 PM
  • Mizzou definitely had a BAD recruting class.. Not only did they have the worst in the SEC, but they didn't even crack the TOP 50 in the nation.. Hate to say it but you MIzzou fans are in for another LONGGGGGGG year in 2013..

-- Posted by footballfan29 on Sat, Feb 9, 2013, at 11:52 AM
  • @ Sonic-The-Hedgehog.. Mizzou winning 6 games will probably be at most what they win.. 8-4 is definitely a long shot with the teams that they play.. I will agree with you they should win all their non conference games and then beat Vandy and UK leaving them at 6-6 with a trip to the Tampax400Bowl.com.. lol

-- Posted by footballfan29 on Sat, Feb 9, 2013, at 11:56 AM
  • Agreed, football, about recruiting. This is easily pinkels worst recruiting class ever, what great timing! Disagree on record, they lost to vandy at home and will lose on road. 5-7 again and no toilet bowl next year.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Feb 9, 2013, at 2:45 PM
  • Sideline---We also have a very nice home game schedule!! I got an email an hour after signings were done asking me to get my seats early! Freeze is a great guy. Look out grove, here we come...Can't wait.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Sat, Feb 9, 2013, at 8:03 PM

This class wont hurt mizzou for couple years I said its the best they could do... I think they make a bowl game but I could just be bein a homer

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Mon, Feb 11, 2013, at 9:12 AM
  • Bill snyders a magician with 2 and 3 star recruits. He's the most underrated coach in the milky way.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Feb 11, 2013, at 10:53 AM

Bulletman, it is a nice home schedule once we get to it. Gotta win at least one of Vanderbilt and Texas in the first three weeks and we will be looking good.

Sonic, Mizzou can make a bowl game but they don't have a really single SEC game where they would be the clear favorite except for maybe Kentucky. Gotta win at least two which isn't guaranteed with Tennessee, Vanderbilt, and Ole Miss all turning around.

Cirithungol, Snyder is a good coach but he can partially get away with coaching up two and three stars into his scheme because he is playing in the Big XII. His guys would get eaten alive if they had to go up against an SEC slate, especially the West, week in and week out.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Feb 11, 2013, at 2:00 PM
  • Yah but its cool to see him go toe to toe with almighty texas and oklahoma with a bunch of no-names from tumbleweed country!! Knute friggn Rockne couldnt compete with the sec in this day and age. The top tier sec teams are basically an NFL minor league!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Feb 11, 2013, at 3:57 PM
  • On Mizzou, I guess that blows away the theory that getting Greene-Beckham last year would help future recruiting. Sideline--I think the Rebels will beat Vanderbilt. Watch out for that sleeper game against SEMO!!

-- Posted by crackerjack on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 8:31 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: